Rode Nt1-A / Placement

Olijanovi

I have a Rode Nt1-A and I just realized that it was very boomy on my acoustic guitar. (I compared it with my Neumann TLM-103 and the LR Bagg direct in) Anyone else getting that problem? Could it be mic placement?

Try it level with the 12th fret, about 300 mm away from the neck and pointing towards the sound hole. So it's pointing towards the sound hole at 45deg.

You have to experiment, I record acoustics all the time and no 2 guitars sound the same and they have different sweet spots. Some I do mic from the front but a fair way out from the guitar.

If you have a look at some of the pics on my web site (link below) you will see some of the mic setups I use, at first glance it looks like they are in front of the sound hole but in fact most are out near the 12th fret and pointing in at the 45deg, you have to take into account how the person holds the guitar, some will point it up, some across their body, and some wave it around all over the place,:facepalm:

Cheers
Alan.

I was putting it 300mm pointing at the 12th fret BUT I didn't do 45 degrees towards the hole. I'll check your website, thank you

If possible, get someone else to play and live monitor with your headphones.

That way you can move the mic and observer the changes in real time.

Obviously it's not 100% accurate because you'll still hear the live instrument bleeding through a little, but it's still a good exercise.

I moved it back at about 350mm and it was better. Perhaps it was my right hand waving the pick right in front of it...

Now what is a high pass filter?

It's a low end roll off, most of the time it's a fixed position or if or lucky a variable. Some times it on the microphone (not in your case) or the interface or within the DAW.

Back