RODE-NT Mic Getting Echo Only When Using Headsets Plugged Into It

TWDNow

Hi, everyone. I've searched and I couldn't find any answers to my particular problem. I recently purchased the RODE-NT Mic for my YouTube Commentary Videos and Live Videos. Problem is with my live streams. I do them in front of my PC and in order to not have the PC system volume come through the mic I mute the PC speakers. Which leaves me at a disadantage as I can't hear and monitor the background music that I have playing during my Live Broadcasts.

So I went and got some 3.5mm earbuds to plug into the RODE-NT. So when I do a test live feed here are my settings. I use Streamlabs OBS for the YouTube Live stream btw. I set the system audio on my PC to come through the RODE Mic (so I can hear the background music) and have that be streamed to YouTube. And of course the RODE is the default input device. When I hear the live test back, the music works great but there is a very noticeable echo in my voice. If I unplug the earbuds everything works great.

I can live with that, but I would really like to monitor the background music. If I didn't explain it well enough please ask. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance!

You are hearing an echo through your earbuds because as well as getting your background music, you are getting your own voice coming back to you.

With luck you will find a setting either iin Streamlabs or in your system to turn off software monitoring of your vocal stream

You are hearing an echo through your earbuds because as well as getting your background music, you are getting your own voice coming back to you.

With luck you will find a setting either iin Streamlabs or in your system to turn off software monitoring of your vocal stream

Thanks, I understand now. Can you explain more about software monitoring if you don't mind? I really do appreciate it!

Thanks, I understand now. Can you explain more about software monitoring if you don't mind? I really do appreciate it!

I have little experience with streaming, and don't now how software for that works.

However, for recording you generally have a choice of hardware or software monitoring.

Hardware monitoring means the interface you have your mike plugged into will pass a signal straight to the output, i.e. your speakers or headphones.

Software monitoring means that the application you are using to record with sends a signal back to your interface. This signal can be delayed because of the processing that is done on the way in and out, hence the echo (i.e. latency).

The Rode NT USB has an interface built into it, to which you have direct access via its headphone socket, and this will give you near zero latency monitoring. However, you are also getting a signal back from the computer which includes your music, but also your voice after it has done the round trip into the computer and back. Somewhere within the computer, either in its audio settings or in the streaming application's settings, you should be able to turn off input monitoring, so that it doesn't send your voice back to you.

Back