Rode K2 Issues Clicking and Popping in Vocals

kay_e

I seem to get alot of clicking, Words like CATCH, KITE, COLD, that KA sound. plus other words. those are just examples. I have it wired to a Voice master pro amp, Waves don't even reach -8db and im like 8 inches away from the mic. No EQ really accept after i already laid vocals. I do Hip Hop and rnb. I also have a pop filter too. Can someone recommend a setting. Its also in a regular 10X10 room. No room treatment but still that can't be the reason. is it just the mic? anyone have similar problems?

Try putting the mic above you and pointing the capsule at your forehead. Another old trick is using rubber bands to fasten a pencil across the front of the mic vertically centered on the capsule to break up the direct soundwave.

Also, you're okay peaking at -18 to -12 dB.

so your saying my mouth doesn't need to be directly even with the mic??? Sing below it? do people really do that? and then u said recording at a lower Input gain around -18db... So i turn the beat lower or turn the vocals up after recording?

YouTube - vocal_clip1_plosives

YouTube - Vocal Mic Positions

As these videos explain, you can achieve different outcomes with mic placement. The K2 is a very sensitive mic. There is no need to be right on top of it for vocal recording. You don't want to be singing too much off-axis as that causes other problems, but placing the mic either above or below your mouth a little bit will give a little different outcome. You already have experienced that singing directly into the capsule isn't giving you the desired outcome.

If you record too hot of a signal you don't have any headroom left for processing with compression and eq. Ideally, with good technique, mic placement, and the singer matched to the right mic and preamp eq is minimal and only used to help the track sit properly in the rest of the mix. Compression is what gives that "in your face" sound by reducing the dynamic range of the take-- raising the volume of quieter parts and lowering the volume of louder parts. This creates a track with more even volume throughout, and by altering the amount of compression and slope and the attack and release you can change the "punchiness" and the dynamic range to suit what is needed for the specific track. But compression is really an entire other subject.

If your unprocessed beats are peaking at -8dB they were tracked too hot. In the digital realm you don't need to use all of the available headroom during tracking. The US standard is 0dBfs (digital full scale) equals +24dBu (analog). Tracking at -18dBfs is plenty hot of a signal for later mixdown and mastering.

...the K2 has a very undesireable proximity effect...this mic does not favor close micing...give yourself at least 6-8 inches from the mic, and aim the mic a bit more towards your chest...these tips can improve vocal tracking with the K2 in my experience with the mic...

I just recorded some practice vocals and angled it like the videos said to and ALSO recorded at a lower gain. Mastered the track, n LOVED the quality! Thank you for your help

Back