Rode Broadcaster

Aaron Malcom

I have information on the Rode Broadcaster and it sounds like quite a deal.

For under $1000 and for doing both vocals and spoken word (which will ultimately be on CD), is there a better choice? I like the pop filter and the ultra-low noice (14db) and the general accuracy of that mic.

Is there anything better I should look into? I've looked at the other Rode mics and they have more noise. I've also looked at the Marshall Electronics 2003 but it's a lot noiser.

A ribbon mike might be useful, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The best advice any one can provide us to auditon the mike itself on your own gear.
Your ears will tell you if this mike meets
your expectations. Try it against other mikes
and make comparisons. Believe me, your ears will know it you have hit upon the correct choice.

You are definitely right! I was merely asking about the choice of the Broadcaster as the best suited for voice and low noise for under $1,000. I haven't had the opportunity to test one yet, but on paper it sounded like a good choice.

What would you suggest for a totally non-instrumental vocal/speaking mic?

I think most people will agree that when it comes to spoken voice, singing, bass drum, bass guitar cabs, and sometimes brass, the Electro-Voive RE-20 or RE-27 (www.electrovoice.com) will work wonders; and then there's the fact that it's such a versetile dymanic mic. Not to mention they are both damn nice sounding mics.

And versetility is something I highly recommend. Even more so when you're not going to test a few mics yourself.

I have not heard the RE-27 myself yet, but everything I've heard about the RE-27 is that it sits just above the RE-20 (I have used and love) and is worth the $ difference if you can afford it. I'll buy one sometime, myself, it's just a matter of when.

I've not tried The Broadcater myself either (or have heard anyone's opinion on it). I've compared the NTV with a few tube mics and found it in "a league of its own" due to its smaller tube and I don't think the design has the tube being a very big coloration factor. I personally think this was purposly designed like this.

Some other mics you might want to look at for under $1kUS are:

*Audio Technica 4047 www.audio-technica.com
*Audio Technica 4050 (same website as 4047
*RTT VM100 www.sound-room.com www.oktava.com
*Oktava MC-012 with M1/M3 cardioid cap (same website as VM100)
*Neumann TLM103 www.neumann.com

OK, now that I've totally comfused you...

That is a great list to look into. Thank you!

It is ironic, but I dropped by the local public radio station (WGLT - jazz format) this past week and found out they use the Electro-Voice RE20 (they really make use of it during pledge week!).

After my recent research, I've been leaning totally away from a dynamic mic (maybe the large diaphram condensers wrongly influenced me).

What you've said speaks loads to me. I will do my best to pull together information on each of them.

[This message has been edited by Aaron Malcom (edited 04-27-2000).]

Back