ribbons

albatross

about to purchase a beyer m500. how should it be treated? Is it as sensitive as other, larger ribbon mics? it's hard to find info on it and some of what i've read seems contradictory. thanks

Actually, the M500, although you should treat it sensitive, is probably one of the more rugged handheld ribbons. If being used for voice, an M500TG would be a good option.

I have several M500s among my ribbon-mic collection.

When you say "sensitive," do you mean "fragile?" The M500 is more sensitive than most ribbon mics but less fragile. It was designed as a LIVE vocal mic, so it is not a blushing violet which needs pampering. It has plenty of blast protection built into it. You might want to disassemble enough to see that those protectors are in good shape. I have had a couple where the glue has failed between the motor assembly and "final" blast protector, but you should be able to hear if that's so simply by moving the mic when it's plugged in.

Be careful when using phantom power. Try not to drop it. Don't blow into it. That's about it.

I tend to think that ribbons in general don't fare well with mechanical shock (dropping bumping) and blasts of wind. They handle plenty of SPL. I use them from time to time to record kick drum but not in the sound hole, same for guitar cabs...just keep it away from ported openings where the air tends to really move.

Store them upright when putting them away for long periods of time so the ribbon won't sag. Other than that...they're sweet to listen to.

EXCELLENT read! Thanks...I admit that I got my baseless knowledge through the grape vine blended with my own experiences. I'm no where near as cautious as some have recommended but then again, I've never pushed the limits with some of the seemingly obvious like, blowing into them, dropping them etc...

It's good to know stuff and a relief.

Great info...but I'll never let on to these secrets....it's fun to watch the help stare in awe at such an expensive, sensitive little thing, walking slowly, holding their breath when taking a close look, breaking out in a cold sweat as they connect the mic cable, wondering if they will be docked a weeks pay if they damage the "RIBBON" mic. :D

Back