Ribbon Mics

ltdave32

Hey, everyone....
Who can tell me about their experiences with ribbon mics, especially how the new ones by EV, etc. stack up against the old standbys, like the rca dx,bx, etc; Is buying one for $200-$400 worth it? Also, how do those funky old ribbon mikes I see on e-bay that go for $200 or so measure up to the new ones?
thanx
ltdave32

Get yourself a Shiny Box 23 ribbon mic (link) , pretty much the same thing as the Nady, but cheaper, comes with a detachable cable instead of the hardwired one, and a nice case in addition to the padded bag. Plus it's just one guy selling them, not a large souless corporation. He seems like a cool guy too.

reshp1 said:
Get yourself a Shiny Box 23 ribbon mic (link) , pretty much the same thing as the Nady, but cheaper, comes with a detachable cable instead of the hardwired one, and a nice case in addition to the padded bag. Plus it's just one guy selling them, not a large souless corporation. He seems like a cool guy too.

I'm about to order a ShinyBox ribbon (46) myself... the smaller size, extended high and low frequencies and higher output looks attractive to me. And, it's only $150.

kid klash said:
I'm about to order a ShinyBox ribbon (46) myself... the smaller size, extended high and low frequencies and higher output looks attractive to me. And, it's only $150.
I think you'll like it a lot. New gear syndrome aside, I put mine up on elec guitar, ac guitar, and vox and liked what I've heard so far.

reshp1 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I actually was glad to see that the Nady had a permanent cable. The jostling that a microphone gets when you unplug an XLR cable can't be too good for a ribbon mic.

That's the one thing I hate about these foums- I come here to relax after a long week of shows, and end up buying something and blowing all that sweet, sweet overtime pay...

Thanks a lot (j/k)

I've been looking for a nice, cheap(ish) ribbon to have a play with, so I think I'll give this shinybox a go...

Cheers

dgatwood said:
Maybe it's just me, but I actually was glad to see that the Nady had a permanent cable. The jostling that a microphone gets when you unplug an XLR cable can't be too good for a ribbon mic.
Yeah, you got a point. I can just see myself tripping or stepping on the cable and ripping the transformer loose inside the mic.

Back