Ribbon mic values

Big Kenny

I've got a coupla Beyers (160 & 500) and 3 chinese knockoffs from the 1st group thang, and I like 'em all fine (the rsm-2 the least)

My question for those who have the higher end ribbons is.....

What are the differences when stepping up to AEA or Royer from these?

Is it like anything else, QC, or just quality build

I've read a bunch and I know about ribbon consistancy, length, thickness, etc.

Just kinda wonderin' if this would be a noticeable place to throw some $

Thanx

Kenny, the only cheapie ribbon mic I've owned is the Oktava ML-52. But, if you look at historical RCA and Shure models, the difference between the 44 and the 74B, or the difference between the Shure 300 and the 315, that you notice in the specifications is that the more expensive models have better response in the higher frequencies.

And, like any microphone, the evenness of response is something you pay for.

Expect expensive mics to have better transformers. Expect them to have more attention paid to the structures around the motor assembly - for sound - and better-designed motor-protection systems, to protect the ribbons without degrading the sound too much.

Big Kenny,
Sorry I definitely know very little about the expensive ribbons. But out of curiosity, How do you think the Chinese ribbons you have compare to the Beyers?

They are totally different animals, different response and, for lack of a better word, thickness. The Beyers are dramatically smooth while the Royer and RCA wannabes are cleaner but still not brighter. It's pretty hard to describe these without using warmth and presense and I hate those terms. I think they lack a bit in the high end (as Curry said) where the Beyer has all the frq's but kinda pushes the mellow sound a little more. Hope that helps

never used a "budget" ribbon, but i've used the royer 121 before, and it sounded fucking fantastic

of course, it might've helped that there were a pair of them on a steinway D, thru a 1073 preamp...but i did prefer the sound of the royers over that of both AKG C451's and U87's with the same signal chain

Back