Which ribbon mic?

laptoppop

Musical Technogeek
I'm looking to fill out my mic collection - and I wonder which ribbon mic folks would recommend?

I'm considering the Royer 121. Does the Royer 122 sound similar, just higher signal, or is it a different beast?

Should I get a used one and get a new ribbon from ?? (Is his name steven sands?)

Thanks for the input,
-lee-

Stephen Sank offers his mod for $125 on any Beyer ribbon mic.
M160, M260, etc.

I got the mod plus a used m260 for under $400. The mic sounds great. The mod fundamentaly changes the way the mic sounds. Closer to an RCA than a Beyer now.

-Jett

Sorry Mr. Sank!

Sank, not Sands. Got it! :>) (I hope he doesn't read this forum!) Thanks for the info.

Any other mics of note?

-lee-

I've got a Sank modified Beyer M160, which is great, but my R121 beats the heck out of it. I haven't heard the 122, but I would get the 121 and a good high gain pre.

Pete

"Can the same mod be done on the Octava ribbon?"

I doubt it, but you can get new Beyers pretty cheap from a german audio site Musiciansgear.com?

Anyway, I'd get ahold of Mr. Sank if you are interested, he might even have some used m260s on hand.

-Jett

RE: Beyer/Sank mods...

I'm interested in a ribbon as well.

I know that Beyer has pretty good rep for being able to take some serious punishment for a ribbon. Does anone know if this still holds true after a SANK mod?

Can anyone give a little more description on the change in sound? Darker, brighter, higher/lower gain, etc?

Also, how does one get a hold of Mr. Sank?

Thanks,

heylow

I just got the new Royer R-122 "Active" Ribbon mic. It is EXCELLENT for recording the trumpet and trombone! Anyone involved in recording brass instruments would defiantly benefit from getting one of these mics.

-Dave

The variable is how much you pay for your used M260. Call or email Stephen for the mod price. I remember it was less than $200 when I did it about 6 months ago. He brokered my purchase of the used mic at around $200. I got the moded mic and a couple cables (the mic had DIN connectors) shipped for less than $400.

Does it sound as good as a Royer? I dunno, probably not. Don't have a Royer. I do know that it sounds great and it's a heckuva deal. Steven's good to do business with.
-kent

Well my m260 with mod was about $375. The Royer 122 is more than $1000 more.

The Royer 122 is almost certainly a better mic.

The m260 with mod isn't as fragile as say a Coles, but it's not as robust as a Royer.

I haven't managed to desroy mine in the four months I've owned it either. I sing fairly loud. Phantom power is a no-no.

-Jett

jet-rocker said:
Well my m260 with mod was about $375. The Royer 122 is more than $1000 more.

The Royer 122 is almost certainly a better mic.

The m260 with mod isn't as fragile as say a Coles, but it's not as robust as a Royer.

I haven't managed to desroy mine in the four months I've owned it either. I sing fairly loud. Phantom power is a no-no.

-Jett

We talked about trumpet and trombone, didn't we? For this purpose, the 260 served me very well. At this point of time I cannot imagine paying almost 10x of what i have paid for my m260 for a royer to get a marginally better result (I have heard some trumpet tracks recorded with the 121, and although it did nice things to the sound, i don't feel that it would give me something my m260, btw an old model from the 60s, couldn't give me)

ya know, i'm trying to establish myself as an acoustic-specialty service (sorta have to since i'm in the basement of a townhouse) and now that you mention it, a ribbon mic is a no-brainer. (since you had to mention it for me to consider it, that' tells you a bit about me.... ;)

soooooooooooooo...........

would a DMP2 or USB Audio Duo have enough gain? The USB Audio Duo has the same specs as the DMP3, about 70 DB of gain and a 107 DB Dynamic range.

Damn you, laptoppop, i think you just made me spend about $400.00......

Thanks!

Back