Regarding microphones

Dark Light923

Hi everybody. I am going to buy a microphone but I am unsure which one to choose. Budget is not a problem for me. It is either the lewitt lct 441 or the lewitt lct 440. The 441 is more expensive and am told it is a better microphone than the lct 440. Can someone tell me the difference between the two? I need the microphone for music production. Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
Never heard or used one of those. There are a lot of large condenser microphones in that price range, honestly, and if it's the only/first LDC you'll have that needs to be somewhat flexible, I'd look at microphones that have both a low rolloff (aka low-cut) filter and a pad.

I have never found multi-pattern to be a lot of use in my small space, and since that seems to be the only difference between those two (quick look), if those were my options, the 440 would be fine. But, I'd want to look around more, especially if budget is not a concern. (I do see that the Lewitt 540 model has the low-cut and pad options.)

I have a Miktek M300 and AKG C214, both with more options and have used only those 2 and can recommend either, if price is at least a consideration. I prefer the Miktek for my voice, but I got by with the AKG only for at least 5 years. Both are good for acoustic instruments.

You should budget for a pop-screen if you are recording vocals.

If you have no microphones at all - going for a 'rarer' microphone is always a gamble. They're not mega expensive, but I just wonder why you picked these for your choice? There are many quite nice and popular microphones on the market. Sound on Sound magazine = the only one I trust for reviews says they are nice mics, so I'm sure you'll be happy but just seems a little unusual for a first mic purchase. Probably more important to make sure it matches whatever preamp/interface you have, and buy from a dealer who does returns.

I've been reading a lot of good stuff about the Lewitt mics. I haven't listened to one myself, but they look decent. There are SO many mics on the market today that it can be dizzying for some entering the recording game. Plus, you don't know if the company will be around in 5 years if you need them.

You know Audio Technica, Rode, Shure, Sennheiser, AKG etc will more than likely be around then.

If you have no microphones at all - going for a 'rarer' microphone is always a gamble. They're not mega expensive, but I just wonder why you picked these for your choice? There are many quite nice and popular microphones on the market. Sound on Sound magazine = the only one I trust for reviews says they are nice mics, so I'm sure you'll be happy but just seems a little unusual for a first mic purchase. Probably more important to make sure it matches whatever preamp/interface you have, and buy from a dealer who does returns.
Hi, well the shop where I buy my music things have it there and suggested it to me saying it was a good mic for music production. The interface I will buy is the Roland Rubix 44 (audio interface). I am a beginner. What is a preamp?

Never heard or used one of those. There are a lot of large condenser microphones in that price range, honestly, and if it's the only/first LDC you'll have that needs to be somewhat flexible, I'd look at microphones that have both a low rolloff (aka low-cut) filter and a pad.

I have never found multi-pattern to be a lot of use in my small space, and since that seems to be the only difference between those two (quick look), if those were my options, the 440 would be fine. But, I'd want to look around more, especially if budget is not a concern. (I do see that the Lewitt 540 model has the low-cut and pad options.)

I have a Miktek M300 and AKG C214, both with more options and have used only those 2 and can recommend either, if price is at least a consideration. I prefer the Miktek for my voice, but I got by with the AKG only for at least 5 years. Both are good for acoustic instruments.

Hi. What is a low cut and pad option? I am a beginner and there is alot of technical language I am not aware of! And regarding vocals, what is a pop-screen? Thank you! I will look at the 540 model

The 540 model is alot more expensive. Is it worth it? It sounds amazing, if you look at their website:LCT 540 S low self noise microphone | LEWITT

Hi. What is a low cut and pad option? I am a beginner and there is alot of technical language I am not aware of! And regarding vocals, what is a pop-screen? Thank you! I will look at the 540 model
Low-cut rolls off the frequency response below a certain value. It's useful to keep unwanted low-frequency content from room noise, inaudible (subsonic) stuff from getting recorded that is not part of the musical content. You can remove this with EQ, but it's useful to keep just what you want in the recorded track, especially for vocals and instruments with no low frequency content.

A pad decreases the signal being sent to the interface by a fixed amount, often -10dB, and can be useful if recording a very loud source, like a guitar cabinet, when the regular signal might be too "hot" for the interface's microphone preamp.

A pop screen (aka pop filter) goes in front of the microphone and scatters the air from your voice so "plosives" (from the letters like "p" or "b" especially) don't create dynamic spikes in the recorded track. They all look something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Filter-Microphone-Stabilizing-Recordings/dp/B07RJCP45V/

The 540 model is alot more expensive. Is it worth it? It sounds amazing, if you look at their website:LCT 540 S low self noise microphone | LEWITT
Microphones alway sound amazing on the manufacturer's website.

I don't know anything about those mics. I would keep reading reviews and especially Sound on Sound if they have it. Listen at some of the sites where they have online comparison with high-definition audio. IMHO, most home recording setups cannot benefit from really expensive microphones, but might do well with good treatment and possibly a couple good microphones of different types, to suit what is being recorded.

You haven't told us about your home recording environment, or anything else, so even folks with a depth of knowledge about microphones (I am not one of those) might have trouble making a good suggestion.

Microphones alway sound amazing on the manufacturer's website.

I don't know anything about those mics. I would keep reading reviews and especially Sound on Sound if they have it. Listen at some of the sites where they have online comparison with high-definition audio. IMHO, most home recording setups cannot benefit from really expensive microphones, but might do well with good treatment and possibly a couple good microphones of different types, to suit what is being recorded.

You haven't told us about your home recording environment, or anything else, so even folks with a depth of knowledge about microphones (I am not one of those) might have trouble making a good suggestion.
I will look at these microphones on sound on sound. I am currently looking at this model, which appears to be even better Than the 540 and got a great review: Lewitt Audio LCT640

Hi again Keith. Because budget is not a problem for me, does the lct640, I gave a link about above, have a low cut and pad option and pop screen (aka pop filter). like the 540 does?

Regards equipment.

You never really see anybody who has a reputation for being good at their trade with 'pound shop' tools do you? I suppose you could have a facelift done with such tools as a kitchen knife, scissors and a needle and thread.

If you know of some surgeon in Harley Street who uses such. Let me know what their Youtube channel is. The lockdown is killing me. I need a laugh.

Last edited:
Glossary Of Technical Terms

Get stuck into the above DL! When you say "music production" what exactly do you mean? While you CAN record almost anything with almost any microphone there are definite 'horses for courses" Just the sheer practicality of poking a big capacitor (aka 'condenser') mic around a drum kit for instance?

The Lewit mics do come out well in the SoS reviews they are especially low in noise but unless you need to record quiet speech in a VERY quiet space, not really needed.

If money really isn't a problem I would look at two or three mic types. Yes, a big, sexy side address LDC but also a pair of Small Diaphragm Capacitors such as the SE s8s. If you need to stuff something in front of a rock guitar cab the change will buy you the very decent Behringer XM 8500.

Dave.

Have you noticed that none of us have any of this brand in our stock, and I for one have a LOT of microphones collected over the years. If you are a beginner, the best route into it for a hobby is to buy something basic, multi-purposed and not too expensive. Few people buy a single mic and never swap it or need two - so buy something like a Audio Technica 2020 for less than a hundred, and get your system working with the interface (that does the preamp function of converting the mic's tiny output to something your system can manage. Then you can play and experiment. I assume you've chosen some speakers? Exactly the same issue. Do you go for something to start on, or jump right in with expensive - bearing in mind recording is all about taste in sound. My mics and my speakers create my music. Somebody into electronic dance music or rap would hate my system. Just not right for them, and I'd find their system useless for what I do. You don't know yet - we all produce music. So that doesn't help us at all. Do you want to produce sampled world music made from the chirps of birds? Do you want rock and roll, or maybe death metal? Every one of these would have a different shopping list. The more about you and your needs the better - then we can suggest things.

Glossary Of Technical Terms

Get stuck into the above DL! When you say "music production" what exactly do you mean? While you CAN record almost anything with almost any microphone there are definite 'horses for courses" Just the sheer practicality of poking a big capacitor (aka 'condenser') mic around a drum kit for instance?

The Lewit mics do come out well in the SoS reviews they are especially low in noise but unless you need to record quiet speech in a VERY quiet space, not really needed.

If money really isn't a problem I would look at two or three mic types. Yes, a big, sexy side address LDC but also a pair of Small Diaphragm Capacitors such as the SE s8s. If you need to stuff something in front of a rock guitar cab the change will buy you the very decent Behringer XM 8500.

Dave.
When I speak of music production I mean that, I have written alot of music and some songs here and there both on the guitar and piano and I want to record them, and make an album out of the music. I think I will just go with one of the lewitt microphones. Do I need one of those se s8s. The microphone is mainly for voice recording as well as maybe recording some violin or cello, in my music. My music is melodic, and acoustic sounding, I don't use distortion on the guitar with regard to music ive written on the guitar.

Have you noticed that none of us have any of this brand in our stock, and I for one have a LOT of microphones collected over the years. If you are a beginner, the best route into it for a hobby is to buy something basic, multi-purposed and not too expensive. Few people buy a single mic and never swap it or need two - so buy something like a Audio Technica 2020 for less than a hundred, and get your system working with the interface (that does the preamp function of converting the mic's tiny output to something your system can manage. Then you can play and experiment. I assume you've chosen some speakers? Exactly the same issue. Do you go for something to start on, or jump right in with expensive - bearing in mind recording is all about taste in sound. My mics and my speakers create my music. Somebody into electronic dance music or rap would hate my system. Just not right for them, and I'd find their system useless for what I do. You don't know yet - we all produce music. So that doesn't help us at all. Do you want to produce sampled world music made from the chirps of birds? Do you want rock and roll, or maybe death metal? Every one of these would have a different shopping list. The more about you and your needs the better - then we can suggest things.
I have chosen speakers, they are the Adam a5x speakers. I don't mind spending more money on a microphone that is a good microphone. The stuff I ordered for my music production is an investment for my life. Budget is not really an issue, I will probably go a good lewitt microphone, one of the microphones I mentioned. My music is melodic and acoustic sounding, I write music on the guitar and the piano.

Oh - I saw the adams bit and thought - ah he's into dance music, then you say guitar and piano? You'll need to be careful as these speakers use some tricks to get better bass response, so it's easy to get slightly thinner mixes - as the speakers give the bottom end a helping hand. As long as you get used to this before making final decisions in your mixes, they're actually rather nice. Next question then. Are you sure you just need one microphone? Is the piano a real one? Usually pairs of microphones work better for big instruments and many people like to uses two mics on acoustic guitars to get a better blend between the neck and body sounds. I suspect you'll be happy with your Lewden. Just an unusual choice for a beginner? Hope you're happy.

If you have access to the Lewitt mics to test, I would suggest looking at the 441Flex and add a pair of LCT 140 Air mics before just forking over the $$ for the 640. If you are going to record a vocal and acoustic, or piano plus vocal, you need more than a single mic. Many mic techniques for piano require 2 mics. Even acoustic guitar often blends a mic near the 10th or 12th fret and adds one aimed more at the body to get a good balance. You still have the benefit of a multipattern mic on the 441, plus you have the pad and LC filters and presence boost on the 140.

Set up a comparison of the three mics and see if the extra money is worth more than the added flexibility of having multiple mics. Its really easy to set up two mics one over the other and record a guitar. If the shop knows you're interested in dropping serous money like this, they should be more than accomodating.

Also, I recommend that you read through Harvey Gerst's Sticky Posts in the section of the forum to learn more about how a mic works. Don't just be fooled by spec on paper. I've got mics with similar specs that sound quite different.

Oh - I saw the adams bit and thought - ah he's into dance music, then you say guitar and piano? You'll need to be careful as these speakers use some tricks to get better bass response, so it's easy to get slightly thinner mixes - as the speakers give the bottom end a helping hand. As long as you get used to this before making final decisions in your mixes, they're actually rather nice. Next question then. Are you sure you just need one microphone? Is the piano a real one? Usually pairs of microphones work better for big instruments and many people like to uses two mics on acoustic guitars to get a better blend between the neck and body sounds. I suspect you'll be happy with your Lewden. Just an unusual choice for a beginner? Hope you're happy.
Thank you for your reply. I love electronic music a great deal, but it has to be melodic for me to like it. Owl City is a huge influence for me, his electronic music is in the vein of songwriting. I hope to experiment with electronic music as well mostly in the way of songwriting. I am starting out with garage band that came along an iMac I bought. I have a Roland stage piano, (can't remember the name of the model) but it is like a piano with 88 keys and with piano touch effect (which makes it feel like a piano) , and also a synthesiser etc. I will look intro the trick there is to get a better bass response as you are saying. I don't know where I can find this trick? I though that you can adjust the base from the speakers themselves. Would that take care of it?
I love the piano very much, but I will use my Roland stage piano for recording, and I intend on buying a nice piano (upright) for writing music and songs on it as the piano inspires me so much. It is my great love. When it comes to the guitar, I will record with the interface, not using the microphones. I have a Gibson standard 2012 model, I love this guitar very much. I will use the microphone, other than vocals (for my songs) to record cello and violin, in my music - although I don't play these instruments, I have written and will continue writing music on these instruments as parts and elements of my songwriting and composition. Thanks again.

Sorry - I've confused you. The trick is the manufacturers who design speakers to have more bass response than their size should be able to produce. It means that they are able to be 'flat' response wise, but most people use the extra bass setting - and you just need to experiment a bit to acclimatise your ears. It's common to do the mix then discover on other people's systems it's a bit bass light!

Piano = Yamaha and Roland make some very nice stage pianos, but the emphasis is on stage use. They really struggle in my experience to sound real when recorded. Most people use VSTi instruments for realistic pianos. I like the Pianoteq despite having lots of nice Kontakt grands. My concert pianist collaborator has a lovely Yamaha in his house, but all our recordings now feature the in the computer piano sounds. The 88 note real action keyboard will work very well with any of the VSTis. You will obviously start by recording it through the interface, but you can do so much better. Rolands, Yamahas and Kawai all make these things and all are improvable, apart from maybe the very expensive ones. The ones that have speakers - like the Clavinovas are even worse. They sound nice in the room, but plugged in by the headphone socket they have as the only output - they're thin and weedy.

Be careful buying an upright - get a real expert to help you choose. Loads are on the market second hand but often have dodgy frames and rarely stay in tune - and some of them record dreadfully! Nice to have, but probably your Roland and a VST will sound better! Have fun.

Back