Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Regarding microphones

Thanks

Regarding microphones

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi everybody. I am going to buy a microphone but I am unsure which one to choose. Budget is not a problem for me. It is either the lewitt lct 441 or the lewitt lct 440. The 441 is more expensive and am told it is a better microphone than the lct 440. Can someone tell me the difference between the two? I need the microphone for music production. Please advise. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dark Light923; 04-03-2020 at 04:05.

Thanks
    Never heard or used one of those. There are a lot of large condenser microphones in that price range, honestly, and if it's the only/first LDC you'll have that needs to be somewhat flexible, I'd look at microphones that have both a low rolloff (aka low-cut) filter and a pad.

I have never found multi-pattern to be a lot of use in my small space, and since that seems to be the only difference between those two (quick look), if those were my options, the 440 would be fine. But, I'd want to look around more, especially if budget is not a concern. (I do see that the Lewitt 540 model has the low-cut and pad options.)

I have a Miktek M300 and AKG C214, both with more options and have used only those 2 and can recommend either, if price is at least a consideration. I prefer the Miktek for my voice, but I got by with the AKG only for at least 5 years. Both are good for acoustic instruments.

You should budget for a pop-screen if you are recording vocals.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    If you have no microphones at all - going for a 'rarer' microphone is always a gamble. They're not mega expensive, but I just wonder why you picked these for your choice? There are many quite nice and popular microphones on the market. Sound on Sound magazine = the only one I trust for reviews says they are nice mics, so I'm sure you'll be happy but just seems a little unusual for a first mic purchase. Probably more important to make sure it matches whatever preamp/interface you have, and buy from a dealer who does returns.

Thanks
    I've been reading a lot of good stuff about the Lewitt mics. I haven't listened to one myself, but they look decent. There are SO many mics on the market today that it can be dizzying for some entering the recording game. Plus, you don't know if the company will be around in 5 years if you need them.

You know Audio Technica, Rode, Shure, Sennheiser, AKG etc will more than likely be around then.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    If you have no microphones at all - going for a 'rarer' microphone is always a gamble. They're not mega expensive, but I just wonder why you picked these for your choice? There are many quite nice and popular microphones on the market. Sound on Sound magazine = the only one I trust for reviews says they are nice mics, so I'm sure you'll be happy but just seems a little unusual for a first mic purchase. Probably more important to make sure it matches whatever preamp/interface you have, and buy from a dealer who does returns.
    Hi, well the shop where I buy my music things have it there and suggested it to me saying it was a good mic for music production. The interface I will buy is the Roland Rubix 44 (audio interface). I am a beginner. What is a preamp?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Never heard or used one of those. There are a lot of large condenser microphones in that price range, honestly, and if it's the only/first LDC you'll have that needs to be somewhat flexible, I'd look at microphones that have both a low rolloff (aka low-cut) filter and a pad.

I have never found multi-pattern to be a lot of use in my small space, and since that seems to be the only difference between those two (quick look), if those were my options, the 440 would be fine. But, I'd want to look around more, especially if budget is not a concern. (I do see that the Lewitt 540 model has the low-cut and pad options.)

I have a Miktek M300 and AKG C214, both with more options and have used only those 2 and can recommend either, if price is at least a consideration. I prefer the Miktek for my voice, but I got by with the AKG only for at least 5 years. Both are good for acoustic instruments.

Hi. What is a low cut and pad option? I am a beginner and there is alot of technical language I am not aware of! And regarding vocals, what is a pop-screen? Thank you! I will look at the 540 model

Thanks

The 540 model is alot more expensive. Is it worth it? It sounds amazing, if you look at their website:LCT 540 S low self noise microphone | LEWITT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Light923 View Post
    Hi. What is a low cut and pad option? I am a beginner and there is alot of technical language I am not aware of! And regarding vocals, what is a pop-screen? Thank you! I will look at the 540 model
    Low-cut rolls off the frequency response below a certain value. It's useful to keep unwanted low-frequency content from room noise, inaudible (subsonic) stuff from getting recorded that is not part of the musical content. You can remove this with EQ, but it's useful to keep just what you want in the recorded track, especially for vocals and instruments with no low frequency content.

A pad decreases the signal being sent to the interface by a fixed amount, often -10dB, and can be useful if recording a very loud source, like a guitar cabinet, when the regular signal might be too "hot" for the interface's microphone preamp.

A pop screen (aka pop filter) goes in front of the microphone and scatters the air from your voice so "plosives" (from the letters like "p" or "b" especially) don't create dynamic spikes in the recorded track. They all look something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Filter-Mi...dp/B07RJCP45V/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Light923 View Post
    The 540 model is alot more expensive. Is it worth it? It sounds amazing, if you look at their website:LCT 540 S low self noise microphone | LEWITT
    Microphones alway sound amazing on the manufacturer's website.

I don't know anything about those mics. I would keep reading reviews and especially Sound on Sound if they have it. Listen at some of the sites where they have online comparison with high-definition audio. IMHO, most home recording setups cannot benefit from really expensive microphones, but might do well with good treatment and possibly a couple good microphones of different types, to suit what is being recorded.

You haven't told us about your home recording environment, or anything else, so even folks with a depth of knowledge about microphones (I am not one of those) might have trouble making a good suggestion.

Thanks
    Microphones alway sound amazing on the manufacturer's website.

I don't know anything about those mics. I would keep reading reviews and especially Sound on Sound if they have it. Listen at some of the sites where they have online comparison with high-definition audio. IMHO, most home recording setups cannot benefit from really expensive microphones, but might do well with good treatment and possibly a couple good microphones of different types, to suit what is being recorded.

You haven't told us about your home recording environment, or anything else, so even folks with a depth of knowledge about microphones (I am not one of those) might have trouble making a good suggestion.
    I will look at these microphones on sound on sound. I am currently looking at this model, which appears to be even better Than the 540 and got a great review: Lewitt Audio LCT640

Thread Information