Recording Software for Rode NT1-A

kurtfr1

Hi all,

I actually have a Rode NT1-A with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen.) + Acoustic Blankets for home recording. So far I have the XLR cable connecting the mic with the Audio device which is USB connected to my laptop. I have been recording vocals using Audacity. I am looking for a better software (Free or paid) which will provide more features to enhance my recordings.

I have found Ableton Live Lite and Protools on the net. But my question is about which software will be best with current equipment.

Thanks !

There are lots of other recording software.

You should have gotten both Ableton Lite and Pro Tools First with your Scarlett. The differences in sound should be minimal at most. The differences are in workflow and operation design. That's a personal choice, and something you need to experience and choose. These are test versions that will work fine, but have limitations that the full versions don't.

You can also look at Reaper, which is available without the limitations inherent in the light versions of some software. A license is $60 for two full versions (currently V 6.0 to 7.999) You can use the program for 60 days, after which a "nag" screen will pop up when you start it. It will still work, however.

There are lots of other recording software.

You should have gotten both Ableton Lite and Pro Tools First with your Scarlett. The differences in sound should be minimal at most. The differences are in workflow and operation design. That's a personal choice, and something you need to experience and choose. These are test versions that will work fine, but have limitations that the full versions don't.

You can also look at Reaper, which is available without the limitations inherent in the light versions of some software. A license is $60 for two full versions (currently V 6.0 to 7.999) You can use the program for 60 days, after which a "nag" screen will pop up when you start it. It will still work, however.

Hi and Many thanks for your time to reply.

I will give them a try, I checked Adobe Audition in the meantime... is it something you would recommend for what I would like to do ?

I've never used Audition. I have a VERY old version of ProTools Free and Cubase LE but am running Reaper as my DAW of choice.

As part of my video suite from Cyberlink, I have their Audio DIrector, but never used it for any recording. It does integrate well into PowerDirector video editing.

DAWs split VERY roughly into two types.
Those like Cubase, Reaper, Samplitude (my poison) which are 'linear' that is they emulate to a degree a tape machine. They also have a mixer panel that is very similar to a professional desk though of course it is somewhat 'generic'.

Daws like Ableton, Fruity Loops etc are what I call of the "cut and shunt" variety where you move and drop 'chunks' of sounds in the timeline.

I have a very old Adobe Audition 1.5. It does not run well on W7 but is handy for some things. All the major DAW producers have trial versions. Some are crippled in some way but Samplitude is not, you get the full Monty for a month. I suggest you try each demo in turn and that will take you into 2021 for free!

But is you can't be arsed, you cannot go wrong with Reaper.

Dave.

I am a Cubase fan. But it almost doesn't matter -- if you are doing basic home recording, use whatever you get used to and go from there. Had I started with ProTools, I'd probably still be a ProTools user.

Cubase and ProTools seem to have become the two industry standards. if you found the ProTools, I'd suggest that one. (or go track down Cubase LE. I've always been happy with that and with my Cubase 8.5)

Back