Recording Microphone Help

RubyXex

I currently own a Shure Beta 57A which has worked fine for me in the practice room and live concerts...

However I'm on the lookout for a new microphone so I can make some decent home recordings on my HD-Recoder and am wondering if anyone can help give some advice on this subject.

The cost is an issue since I’m a student with a budget, so I’m not looking for a very expensive “professional” studio microphone.

I've read so many user reviews around the internet which has left me somewhat unsure on what I should purchase.

Lots of people recommended the AKG models which are within a decent price range. (C1000 S, C 2000B, C 3000b or C 4000 B).

Lots of people have also started recommending Thommans T-Bone microphones stating that they are great quaility knock-offs that can measure up to the expensive microphones.

I plan to use the microphones to record vocals along with my acoustic & electric guitar.... so it would be great if anyone here could help me out.

Studio Projects

The Studio Projects B1's are around $99.00 with a shock mount and they sound great. The B1's are also very quiet (low self noise). There are others, as you will hear.

thata B1 goes for $79.....and is a good choice.....

better would be a Marshall MXLv93M for $99 or
a Marshall MXLv67 for $99

RubyXex,
I think the AKG C1000S suck for vocals.... and IMO the AKG 3000B sounds best for female voices and sucks on make voices. I've never used the AKG C2000B or C4000B before, so I can't comment on them.

Maybe take a listen to the Marshall MXLV67G (it's under $100) if your on a real low budget..... and if you have a few more bucks and want an awsome budget vocal mic, take a listen to something like the Sennheiser MD441 and Shure KSM32.

For miking acoustic guitar...... the Marshall MXL603S is a great budget mic.

For miking electric guitar amps... the Shure SM57 and Sennheiser MD421 are very good for close miking amps.

Last edited:
Cheap mic for vocals- Marshall MXL V67B or V67G. I don't like AKG C1000S or C3000B for much of anything, but I *do* like C2000B, a versatile studio workhorse that's good on vocals and acoustic guitar. Studio Projects B-1 is cheap and sounds good, but is less versatile due to no pad or bass rolloff. The bass rolloff in particular is good for acoustic guitar, and the pad helps with cabs and percussion. The C4000B I've never used, but I would like to hear it.
The C2000B can be had from 8th street for $179 with a high quality shock mount and a 20' cable (the cable is a cheapie).-Richie

Back