Recording a high end solo acoustic guitar

trion12

Hi,

I would like to record a Martin OMC-28B Laurence Juber guitar played solo fingerstyle.
This guitar has incredible definition, detail, and both brightness and a rich bottom end and mid range. It is the finest guitar I have ever heard or played and I want to record it in a way that will do it justice.

I have an Didgi Mbox but no decent mics yet.
I have searched the forum and have come to the conclusion that a pair of Rode NT5, Studio Projects C4 or perhaps Neumann KM184's might do well.

First, are the preamps in the Mbox going to do justice to a mic like the KM184 or would I be better off not spending the extra money on the Neumanns until I get a better preamp?

Between these 3 mics which do you like for a high end acoustic guitar?

Thanks.

Aaron

Well if money were no object I think we'd all have at least one pair of KM184s but you can probably get good reults with the C4s or a pair of MXL603s.
How much money do you think you'll make from the recordings? I would find it almost impossible to justify the price of a pair of KM184s on my earnings.

Here's a clip of acoustic with C4's from this thread, done by John Mayes:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=125395

http://www.mayesguitars.com/eli.wav
(watch out - it's a big file - 10MB)

"JoeMeek Compressor plugin on individual tracks and Waves compressor on Master. No EQ. 2 tracks. The guitar is a Mayes Slope D Adirondack top east indian Rosewood Back and sides."

Here's another long thread filled with BS and some information:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=124632&page=2&pp=25

To save you some time (regarding the same clip):
"2 tracks of acoustic guitar standard tuning.... no bass guitar. The guitars are huge sounding on their own...
2 C4's into a TL Audio PA-2 into a Digi 002... No EQ!
JoeMeek Plugin Compressor on individual tracks
Waves compression used on Master track On Protools LE 6.4"

Really nice!

trion12 said:
Hi,

I would like to record a Martin OMC-28B Laurence Juber guitar played solo fingerstyle.
This guitar has incredible definition, detail, and both brightness and a rich bottom end and mid range. It is the finest guitar I have ever heard or played and I want to record it in a way that will do it justice.

I have an Didgi Mbox but no decent mics yet.
I have searched the forum and have come to the conclusion that a pair of Rode NT5, Studio Projects C4 or perhaps Neumann KM184's might do well.

First, are the preamps in the Mbox going to do justice to a mic like the KM184 or would I be better off not spending the extra money on the Neumanns until I get a better preamp?

Between these 3 mics which do you like for a high end acoustic guitar?

Thanks.

Aaron

The major issue with a high end recording recording chain, one that would (by analogy) match the quality level of your guitar, is that there are many parts of the recording chain, each of which should be at a high level. That's rather expensive. Here's an example of a high end recording chain to record solo fingerstyle acoutic guitar, built around your MBox:

1) Mics: Pair Schoeps CMC6/MK4 ($2,540);
2) Preamp: Pendulum Audio MDP-1a ($2,250);
3) AD and DA Converters (2 channels each): Lavry Blue ($2,500);
4) Monitors: Dynaudio BM6a ($1,700);
5) Software Plugins (eq, comp, limiter, verb): Sony Oxford ($1,200)
6) Miscellaneous (cables, room treatment, etc.) ($1,500)

Total about $11,200.

With an Mbox I'd get a pair of Oktava MK012. You'll get decent results.

I'd avoid the MXL 603 and the Rode NT5. I'd consider them to be better for situations where the acoustic is one of many tracks. I haven't played with the C4 and my reviewer had a hard time getting something musical with the C4 and an acoustic (but got some incredible tracks using a pair as drum overheads). However, John Mayes, who makes nice high end guitars, put up some good tracks with the C4.

BTW, I like the Neumann KM184. I wouldn't go there unless I was going to be using a top end mic pre such as a Great River or the Pendulum as noted above.

ozraves said:
With an Mbox I'd get a pair of Oktava MK012. You'll get decent results.

I'd avoid the MXL 603 and the Rode NT5. I'd consider them to be better for situations where the acoustic is one of many tracks...

I don't know about the NT5, but I disagree with your assessment of the 603s. I think it is an excellent solo acoustic guit mic (at least on my Webber OM) and sounds very close to the MC012--which is also excellent on acoustic guit. As a matter of fact, I think they pair up well in stereo.

dcarlton said:
This guy gets a great sound. He is a flatpick stylist playing a Santa Cruz Tony Rice Professional model guitar. He talks about his mics, sound, and philosophy of recording.

http://www.flatpick-l.org/tonytab/mic.html

dcarlton,

Thanks for the link. I've been wondering about Tony Rice's recording techniques and I like this guy's logic. Very cool!

Regards,
Terry

Yes, if you read up on Tony Rice (interviews etc.) he considers himself to be a "recording artist" as much as a guitarist. He is a master of tone--both in his playing and his recordings. His album Unit of Measure sets a new standard for acoustic guitar tone.
Doug

dcarlton said:
Yes, if you read up on Tony Rice (interviews etc.) he considers himself to be a "recording artist" as much as a guitarist. He is a master of tone--both in his playing and his recordings. His album Unit of Measure sets a new standard for acoustic guitar tone.
Doug

Doug,

Yes, I've listened to Unit of Measure and agree with you. Do you know of any other interesting Tony Rice/Recording/Mic interviews or articles?

Regards,
Terry

tdukex said:
I don't know about the NT5, but I disagree with your assessment of the 603s. I think it is an excellent solo acoustic guit mic (at least on my Webber OM) and sounds very close to the MC012--which is also excellent on acoustic guit. As a matter of fact, I think they pair up well in stereo.

I second that, my 603's sound amazing. And the Mbox preamps are as good as any you'll get in the "budget" category of pre's

For acoustic/clean guitar I like to use a large and small diaphragm condensors in tandem. I'd look at something like this:

High end option:

AKG 414BULS and AKG C451

or

Low end option:

AKG C2000 and AKG C1000

or

Midrange option:

Rode NT1 & Shure SM81

Not confused yet?

I've recorded a Martin from 1937 with a beautiful sound with a DIN pair of C451/CK1 mics.

That made me very happy, but you got to have a great sounding room for that.

trion12 said:
Thanks all for responses and yes, I am confused!

Well, don't get confused, a SDC on the 12th fret will please you, if you want a very realistic (stereo) sound, try a DIN, NOS or ORTF placement, KM(1)84's will do a very great job.

Look for stereo placements on www.dpamicrophones.com (microphone university)

CanopuS put up some really good acoustic tracks with C4s and a DMP3 ... I'm going to take a punt on the Oktavas soon I think.

Back