Rechargeable BATTERIES for those dusty EV Pl76 series Condenser mics

Orion61

I have always had a soft spot for those old EV PL 76, A/B 77 and PL78 microphones but the 4.5 volt batteries are hard to find, or IF found are OLLLD stock.
I have found a Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery that are about 1200ma. They are slightly lower power at 3.7 volt but still make the mike sound very good. 14500 is the battery model and you can buy a couple of them with a charger for less than a nos PX21 battery. I still have a couple of PL's and I'll never get rid of them, I actually find the PL77 Phantom Mic still sounds great. I have always loved the silky highs and the nice proximity effect. I have updated mikes, Sennheizers and my AKG's. but I remember the day in 1979 when I went to buy a Shure 58 at a music store and they had me try their NEW PL76 mic. I was blown away at the smooth silky sound.
Dust em off and remember why so many people lived them. For about 8 bucks for 2 batteries and a charger on EbAy,

UltraFire Rechargeable 14500 Battery 3.7V 1200mAh Li-ion Batteries+Smart Charger | eBay

what's the risk? Plus you don't kick yourself for leaving the switch on the next week when the battery is dead haha..
Cheers:guitar:

Last edited:

Yeah, hi Dave I have seen that out there, The Pl77B Pl78 were Phantom powered as well as having a bass roll off switch to make them more appealing to female singers and give that Sennheizer sound.
This was just a cheap way of keeping these old mikes original and offering an option to those who don't want to either send them in or try the mod themselves. They really do sound pretty good with the new batteries. By the way what do you think of these old dinosaurs?
I worked with a keyboard player that absolutly refused to switch mics when we went to Sennheizer wireless mics. Like I said I still have my old original pl76 and a 77B. They both still work fine and I don't know if these capsules age but to my old ears still sound great. I tried buying a couple Chinese Condenser mics for recording, but I get a bit of a low hum. Instead of messing with them I plugged the old 77B in and it was crystal clean with a healthy bottom end and that nice airy sound. I guess Old Dogs and new tricks seem to describe an old Bass Player after 44 years on the road.. Thanks for the reply..

I am very sorry Orion61, I have no knowledge or experience of those microphones. I simply Googled one and came up with that 48V mod!

Dave.

Thanks for this. I bought 4 of those old EVs at $20 each several years ago in zipper pouches. I can't remember the model number without getting into my gear closet, but they will run on 48V or batteries. I don't always have enough channels with 48V, so this may help me. I like the mics and use them to mic up a bluegrass band sometimes.

I have always had a soft spot for those old EV PL 76, A/B 77 and PL78 microphones but the 4.5 volt batteries are hard to find, or IF found are OLLLD stock.
I have found a Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery that are about 1200ma. They are slightly lower power at 3.7 volt but still make the mike sound very good. 14500 is the battery model and you can buy a couple of them with a charger for less than a nos PX21 battery.

Is there any risk of damaging the microphone by using a lower voltage battery? Any discernible difference in the quality of sound with the 3.7? I have an old PL76 and would rather go your route with the rechargeable batteries than rewire it for phantom.

Back