Re-Starting from the Ground Up...

lank81

Hi Guys,
Been a while since posting as I've been studioless for the last year. Had to tear down the studio and redo the spare bedroom for my new born son. He is now 6 months old.

Anyways, I'm basically down to nothing except my iPad, Alesis I/O doc, and a Sterling Audio Mic. I've got 3500$ in my budget, this excludes acoustic treatment & computer (new mac mini). I'll basically be recording Rock, Pop, Acoustic in the studio. Here are some of my thoughts on the gear I was looking at. Give me your thoughts.

Mics:
Sterling Audio FET Mic ( Have it )
SM57 & SM58
Rode NT5 Pair
AKG D112
sE2200a II

Monitors:
Event 20/20BAS or JBL LSR4326P Pak (18 mo Financing)
Focal CMS50 (Not but same price point as JBLs)

Audio Interface:
If I go PT - MBox Pro or 2626 maybe
If not - Focusrite Saffire 40 (Low End)
or RME BabyFace + Focusrite OcotPre

So that's what I got down so far. Not sure what I'm going to do but wanted to get some opinions/suggestions. I'll be grabbing everything new from Sweetwater just because of the free financing for year and a half.

I can go Reaper & Non-Digi AI. I listed two options for non Digi interfaces but is there anything outside of the babyface+octopre or focusrite saffire that you'd recommend?

I can go Reaper & Non-Digi AI. I listed two options for non Digi interfaces but is there anything outside of the babyface+octopre or focusrite saffire that you'd recommend?

I know, but you can go Pro Tools and non digi AI too now.

I'm just saying, if you do choose Pro Tools, I'd recommend shooting higher than mbox or w/e. Digi hardware is no longer necessary as of V9.

I've used Pro Tools with mbox2, digi 001, 002, and 003. I didn't like the preamps in any of them so when v9 came out I bought a rack of nice preamps and now I'm happy.

If I knew then what i know now, I'd have bought two firepods and called it a day.

Back