Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RØDE NTV- my first tube mic

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    this is a good article on u87....off topic but who cares at this point. the comments are as interesting as the test.

Neumann Microphone Shootout, U87i vs. U87Ai | recording hacks

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    How are you liking the Rode mic, Cool?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    How are you liking the Rode mic, Cool?
    I guess you missed the fact he never got it.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I know this is 4 weeks since lasts post but, I saw a u47 swapped out for a NTV in a pro studio. The NTV did do a better job for that vocalist. I asked the engineer about it he said for the money ( used price) it was a very usable mic, and got a lot of use.

Thanks
    I have GAS'd on another try for the NTV. This time its coming from Tokyo Japan to Dallas Tx...supposedly Free Shipping and was $265 with case and all, Very Good condition etc.. kind of strange ordering from overseas, in addition to high risk of a used mic. I think the hype of the gear with the jensen transformer and Wima caps and hi-boutique caps and resistors sucks me in at times.
    Someone at Rode must have had freedom to build this short run and the accountants shut it down due to low profit margins most likely. Seems the next gen used their own stuff and got the cost down or supply chain parts changed to inhouse?

Last time a NTV got all the way to Texas and the seller called it back. We will see if this one makes it.

Rode NTV manual

http://www.interstage.dk/Sider/Produ...DE_NTV_man.pdf

UPDATE: first time I ordered from Japan per REVERB and it arrived! great shape, great price. Kind of going against my logic of buy microhones "new" though but oh well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rode-ntv-japan-texas-png  
    Last edited by CoolCat; 12-09-2018 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Suppose to be great sounding mics. Keep us updated!
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Finally got the mic plugged in. The joy buzz it works was accomplished. The seller had all the stuff, the serial number and dates noted, the first runs and even had a sticker "I Want my NTV",,,,,,kind of gives the "I Want my MTV era." 1999... the keys to the case all that stuff included. etc.

The first tube mic for me and the 25 pin cable is something new. A Thick cable! I wouldnt be unplugging it a million times as advice. I do these kind of cables at work, and the tiny pins and female connectors, are very military connector like, are great, but not so simple as a XLR. If damaged not a good thing. So I was very carefully w/ light touch to wiggle the connector together and screw in the locking mechanism.

Turned ON...
    The output is a basic XLR and was plugged into the LA610. I did some quick 2-3hrs some vocal and some acoustic guitar.
    It was very easy to use on my vocal and that means the 800hz nasal was not present as some mics get, and my sizzling CHEEZ and SHzz were tamed in a good way. Clear mids and nice suppression of highs. I'll take others words for comparing it in a real studio but I definitely like this one aminly because its sound doesnt requite my lazyass to do anything. On acoutsic was very clear and as sounds goes I liked it.

of course being a gearhead its equally important to take it apart!! and so I did.
    the tube is a ECC81 Telefunken tube.. very cool!
    very clean build and pcb and has the USA Jensen transformer. Being anal-tech a small dent or bump in the grill had me risking working that out and I got it without damage, now its excellent shape vs very good....not easy working the mesh except for using my thumbs, tools were not getting the fine wire, the "dual thumb action" worked the bump out to normal again.

summary:
    I really like it, no other tube mics to compare to.
    It was very solid 15mv /pa (per Recording Hacks). 15mvpa is a great level for even just a interface preamp and no outside pre is usually needed imo.

Thread Information