quick/dirty rock guitar mic primer?

arena rock

OK...Just bought a SP B-1 mic for recording my guitar. I have for years recorded direct, which as everyone knows ain't quite like a live mic sound, but, what I'm hearing now is a very RAW sound. Yes, it sounds fuller, crisper, livelier ,etc, etc than the direct devices I've tried (Pod, Genesis, Sansamp Gt-2), but I dunno how to deal with the rawness of it!, (and it gets really wild and wooly when I double track and pan hard left and right) and I mean that in terms of making it fit in a mix...I did a little 20 second recording demo , using that Vox Brian May amp, fair amount of gain, playing a rockin' riff/lick over a looping drumbeat, and without any sorta software plug in processing, man O man is the guitar super live, buzzy and WAY in your face! I figure some combo of EQ/compression will help smooth things out, but in the past I haven't been real successful using compression and eq. Btw, I can tell I already like the mic sound, it is much clearer than a SM-57 I tried years ago...anyway, any processing tips will be mucho appreciated.

Forgot to add.....The mic clip for the B-1 doesn't seem to fit my low-profile boom stand...I pulled the Euro insert out and tried screwing it on but it's too loose, so I just have it slid on the threaded end of the mic stand, kinda worried it may work loose. Also, do I need a shockmount for recording my little Vox amp?

Guitar Mic

If the sound is too raw, try moving the mic off-axis, or a bit further away from the cabinet. Also, you might try using less gain and overdubbing multiple parts to thicken the sound out.

arena rock said:
Forgot to add.....The mic clip for the B-1 doesn't seem to fit my low-profile boom stand...I pulled the Euro insert out and tried screwing it on but it's too loose, so I just have it slid on the threaded end of the mic stand, kinda worried it may work loose.
Try using some white plummers tape or email PMI and ask them if they'll replace the clip.

Also, you don't need a shockmount unless your picking up noise from vibrations... like floor noise and etc.

Where are you placing the B1 in relationship to the amp? Try moving the mic back off of the amp more... infact, just keep moving the mic around until you find the spot where it sounds best.

In the mix you might try a touch of reverb, some low cut with EQ and a touch of compression or limiting to smooth everything out. If your dynamics are a bit rough you might want to use a compression pedal before the amp.

Thanks for the replies.....about the mic clip, I was really suprised the clip didn't fit , I thought mic stand thread sizes were a standard thing, no biggie though, I will try the tape idea....

about the rawness....I'm right now listening to a guitar recording that I'm striving to achieve. It is Majorly Up by Steve Morse off of Split Decision......it's a great, smooth , controlled tone he gets there....I wish I could pick the enigineers brain on that song!...And Steve makes nice use of varying the tones and panning ideas thruout....If I could just approximate that sound I'd be happy! .....I have another idea of buying a second B-1 and micing the speaker from a greater distance , then blending the two in SONAR to try for a fuller sound as well, but in the meantime, what ARE some typical compression settings for making a rock guitar track ala Majorly Up sit so nicely in the mix???

i have had much experience with the b-1 and a sm57. i know what you mean by the "raw" sound. and i think that is totally the way the b-1 sounds. the 57 is more dark and smooth. both are good for different applications. But, one way i have found by getting by best guitar tones is using a mix of them both. It is difficult because of the phase problems. But, if you use the 57 as your main two guitars and mix in a little b-1, its pretty nice.

The two main reasons I prefer my SM57 over my SP B1 on guitar amp is that The B1 seems to pickup to much pick attack an the like. Just seems to accent the distortion a little too much for my tastes. Probably because it has more highs than the SM57. The B1 is also ver high output and with my Blues Junior I can't get it padded enough with my DMP3. It still clips with the gain turned all the way down.

For me the SM57 tends to smooth out the highs just enough to give me a really good sound.

Bessings, Terry

still4given said:
The B1 is also ver high output and with my Blues Junior I can't get it padded enough with my DMP3. It still clips with the gain turned all the way down.
Try using an inline pad. ;)

DJL said:
Try using an inline pad. ;)

I don't have one. ;)

And besides, like I said I prefer the sound of an SM57 to the B1 on guitar cab. I have other LD condensors that have pads on them if I want that sound.

He may not need a pad with that little Brian May amp.

Which makes me wonder;

arena rock, did you try sticking your ear down there in front of that Vox to see how it sounds from the mic's perspective? Maybe the B1 is being more true to the sound you are getting than you think.

Blessings, Terry

Well I added a couple of overdubs...just drums and guitar for now. I gotta say, it sounds good! There is so much more 'aliveness' to the sound now compared to my Pod! I should post this clip somewhere so you can hear it....it's very addicting to finally hear all the brilliance of the guitar and amps tone...it's sounds like somebody took a heavy blanket off the sound compared to the last several years of recording direct with Pod and whatnot...the rawness , I've noticed, as I add in overdubbed stuff is actually a good thing once all the parts are mixed! Sooooo much more dynamic and alive sounding...I luv mics!

Back