Question About AT2050 Mic

zooeywoof

Hi all~ As I look at the mic I have my eyes on, there's no shock mount, which I don't even want, but is there a clip by AT it store bought that I could safely attach to that lower stem of the mic, & attach it to a standard mic stand in the usual fashion?
Many thanks in advance & be well~
Kenny

Hi all~ As I look at the mic I have my eyes on, there's no shock mount, which I don't even want, but is there a clip by AT it store bought that I could safely attach to that lower stem of the mic, & attach it to a standard mic stand in the usual fashion?
Many thanks in advance & be well~
Kenny

Well you COULD Kenny (welcome btw) but capacitor mics are very prone to picking up rumble and bumps from sound communicated through the stand, especially in directional mode. If so bothered, isolate the stand on a block of foam...OR buy one of those super cheap "Neewer" LDCs and pinch the cat's cradle for that. Gets you a backup mic to boot!

Of course, I am sure AT will sell you the proper shockmount but it could be pricey. Note too, there are very few times you need to record anything below ~ 100Hz so a HPFilter can be inserted.

Tip: rumble can come via the cable. Always put a loose knot at the mic end to isolate it. Pros have short, 300mm very 'floppy' XLR-XLR stubs permanently attached to stands.

Dave.

Tip: rumble can come via the cable. Always put a loose knot at the mic end to isolate it. Pros have short, 300mm very 'floppy' XLR-XLR stubs permanently attached to stands.

Dave.

Pretty good tip!

I'm just concerned the a bulky shockmount would kinda be in my face when miking my acoustic's soundhole...? Thnkx all

I'm just concerned the a bulky shockmount would kinda be in my face when miking my acoustic's soundhole...? Thnkx all

DON'T mic the soundhole! The 'classic' mic position is where the neck joins the body but with an LDC even that can result in an over bright, 'clangy' sound which can make fret squeaks more prominent(though many say this is all down to technique).
Unless the room is truly awful or noise intrudes, have the mic about a mtr away.

In any case, for ac' guitar you can put in a HPF at about 80Hz post tracking and clear most of the mud.

Dave.

Is this a used mic? The AT2050 does come with a shock mount, at least when purchased new.

I'm of the opinion that there's a reason almost all LDCs come with a shock mount, so skipping it, especially if you're not putting in a hefty stand on a solid concrete floors (vs. the $20 stand on a floor with a bit of give many of us deal with) is setting you up for extra work cleaning up the track.

Like [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] says, don't mic the soundhole. I probably wouldn't start a meter away, but about a foot out from the 12th fret, angled just to the neck joint, is kind of a typical starting place. Vary distance and angle with a bit of trial and error.

No, not a mtr for 'pop' if you want a fairly dry sound. Son is recording classical guitar and classical pieces, J S Bach so they don't want to be 'In Yer Face!"

In fact he is looking to ADD reverb, even pseudo stereo to his pieces.

Dave.

Back