Pulled the trigger on a Sennheiser MK4

wheelema

Boner-obo
Buying the Sound Devices USBPre 2 tomorrow. Was listening to daughter #6 sing one of her compositions in the van and decided that I need to start capturing her efforts regardless of where we're at. Too much good stuff is going by the wayside IMO.

Last edited:
My daughter has a great voice but went the dancing route. Maybe later....

It's not so much her voice though IMHO she has some serious chops in that regard as much as her lyrics. She just rips these throaty soulful lyrics out like it's nothing. She reads and writes music and I've tried to get her to write her songs down but she's only thirteen and apparently doesn't have the discipline... or see the potential... of what she creates so casually to commit it to paper.

I swear to God this girl makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up sometimes. I can see a shitload of copyright submissions in the near future.

cool mic - let us know how it goes, and if you feel like sharing I'd be interested in hearing (But do something to secure it as her own material before someone rips it off if it's good ... I wouldn't, but obviously I "could", so you might want to think about it carefully :-)

cool mic - let us know how it goes, and if you feel like sharing I'd be interested in hearing (But do something to secure it as her own material before someone rips it off if it's good ... I wouldn't, but obviously I "could", so you might want to think about it carefully :-)

Copyrighting a creative work is straightforward enough, but IMO essentially worthless against corporations like Disney that have a reputation for appropriating material without compensation. I'll protect her work as best I can but if you can't sue, you can't enforce copyright. In the end I think that all you can do is to go forward and hope that talent will be recognized and supported.

Incidentally I just bought her a (extremely) cheap violin. She's really really good with the Clarinet and wanted to learn the violin so we'll see where this goes.

I have high hopes. My neighbor has a ten year old TLM-103 that he swears by and we're going to do a side by side through my new Sound Devices USBPre 2.

:)

Cool! That'll be intense, but I'm cheering for you, seeing as how we have the same mic and all :D

I have high hopes. My neighbor has a ten year old TLM-103 that he swears by and we're going to do a side by side through my new Sound Devices USBPre 2.

:)

cool. tlm-103s (I've owned them) are amazing mics, with a solid even flat high frequency pad that is about 3db higher from 4kHZ right up to around 10kHz compared to the response lower than 4kHz. the mk4 has more of a neutral midrange with a bump in the higher range but with an attractive tone to it for sure.

some aspects of the mk4 are oustanding, liek it's lower range area. it can be warm, it does well with a little bit of reduction of the HF output when mixing.

Back