Problem blue yeti. I refund for a better XLR microphone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
Hello, I received the microphone today, etc.! Already good news on the scarlet 2i2 it doesn't go green when there's the same TV we talked about next door! We only hear my dog when he yells ahah! Otherwise I have a problem! I can only hear myself with one ear when I record myself with the windows tape recorder! But otherwise both ears work... so i dont understand.

Hello, I received the microphone today, etc.! Already good news on the scarlet 2i2 it doesn't go green when there's the same TV we talked about next door! We only hear my dog when he yells ahah! Otherwise I have a problem! I can only hear myself with one ear when I record myself with the windows tape recorder! But otherwise both ears work... so i dont understand
The Windows application is recording a stereo track, so expects a stereo microphone. You'll need to use something that can record just mono[phonic] input. Audacity is free and relatively simple for tasks like that.

Oh ok, thanks :)

For my sound it's solved, I tried an online tape recorder and it works! only the windows one doesn't work. So for the 2i2 scarlett, I just have to touch the gain (it's not red when I yell) and that's it?
Underneath it is line and inst what is it?
No need to click on 48 V?

But you can still hear it the tv :/!

You do not need 48V (phantom power) for a dynamic microphone like the SM58.

The Line/Inst switch is for when you have a 1/4" cable plugged into the center of the "combo" jack (instead of the microphone's XLR plug). If you plug in an electric guitar (e.g.), you would set the switch to Inst (i.e., a musical instrument). If you plugged in the output of a separate microphone preamp or perhaps the output of something like a portable, powered keyboard, you would set it to Line, for a "line level" output, which is higher voltage than an electric guitar, to prevent clipping.

And, yes, that TV isn't going to go away without addressing the noise source and leakage of sound into your recording space. No surprise there.

Okay, all right, fine!
So I leave it on line? it doesn't change anything anyway from what I understood!
My friend he hears me a lot better than last time compared to yeti and he hears a lot less TV (and it's true!) I'm happy with the result!
If TV is really annoying, I think I'd buy what I was offered on the forum (the big foam all around the microphone but it's big)!

That is correct. That switch position does not matter when you have a microphone plugged in with an XLR cable.

If you have a door into the room where you are using the microphone, and that door separates the room from the room where the TV is, or perhaps an adjoining hallway, I'll write again, SEAL THE DOOR. This is the first thing to do if you are trying to create a quieter space for recording or streaming. Reduce or eliminate the noises first, i.e., *before* the get into the room. That is so much easier than the near impossible task of removing them after they are in the room.

Unfortunately there is no door or anything! It's a big living room and the TV is just behind me on the left. So I don't see any solution except this:
YouTube

But it's really huge and it's going to embarrass me to talk in front of my desk with that. Is there anything else like that? Smaller or something else?

Another thing, what is the purpose of the gain that lights up green on the 2i2? When I talk further or lower, my friends can still hear me but it doesn't light up green. Why? Is it bad? Do I have to raise it?

Thanks

Another thing, what is the purpose of the gain that lights up green on the 2i2? When I talk further or lower, my friends can still hear me but it doesn't light up green. Why? Is it bad? Do I have to raise it?

Thanks
The green ring indicates you are at proper recording levels. If you set the gain too high or you are really loud the ring may turn red which means the audio signal may be clipping (not good). A little less than lighting up green is still OK. If you see level meters (VU meters) in your software, where are those hitting..... -16dB to -12dB?

That Alctron thing likely won't help reduce noise already coming into the room that is already in front of the mic. It's meant to reduce your own voice from reflecting around the room by 'capturing/absorbing' your voice into the foam.

How close are you to the mic? Closer to the mic and reduce the gain of the 2i2, but stay green on the ring, may help reduce ambient room noise.

which software?
So if I'm not in green and it doesn't light up, everything's okay until I'm in the red?
Or do I really have to be in the green every time I talk?
I don't see the difference when I talk (I think?)

The microphone is really close enough to me.

And for the gain, I'm at 6-7 I'd say

Last edited by a moderator:
which software?
So if I'm not in green and it doesn't light up, everything's okay until I'm in the red?
Or do I really have to be in the green every time I talk?
I don't see the difference when I talk (I think?)

The microphone is really close enough to me, if I stick out my tongue all the way, I touch it lol. (I didn't try, but that's about it).

And for the gain, I'm at 6-7 I'd say

- 'Software' is your recording software (DAW).

- Green confirms a good signal level going into your recording software (DAW). You can record at less than Green, but for lack of a better (more technical) explanation, the audio may not be as good. Red is the next level up from Green an indicates too much signal which may clip/distort the audio.

Back