Problem blue yeti. I refund for a better XLR microphone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 200347

Hello,

I have just purchased a blue yeti USB.
The problem is that you can hear my TV next door, which is not great, because I want to start streams.
I would like the sound of my voice to be at the top top and without bringing my microphone very close to my mouth.
I set the microphone to the lowest GAIN setting and put the third option of the microphone.
I watched a tuto voicemetter and my voice is much better, but you can still hear the TV or something next door.
In the logic of things, we should hear that the front of the microphone (me) and nothing else...
I use a foam and I even tried the filter, but no difference.
I didn't buy a sound card, I use the one that is integrated with the PC.
I am in USB and not in XLR but the sound is less good apparently but the price is more expensive for the blue yeti PRO:/ But is there a big difference...hm

I was told about this: ocusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, sound card + compressor I think
I don't know anything about it and apparently for that you need an XLR connection but I don't know if there is a USB adapter.
Hopefully get an answer from someone.
(I specify that I am in the living room, so a rather large room)
If you tell me that I'd better buy a yeti pro XLR to be safe in the future, then I will if it's really worth it. But if there's not a big difference then it's no use.
Yeti pro or other things that may be better? But not expensive either very very very expensive, because I think it is useless for stream/videos.
If you tell me that a yeti pro XLR with Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, its better so I buy?
Or of course if there is a better microphone than a yeti pro at the same or almost the same price, I take it.
Or if you tell me that my USB microphone is enough then I stay with it, but what I'm thinking, isn't that going to block me for later if I have to do something with the XLR? Hmm.

I'm sorry, i'm not english, i use translate :p

Thanks !

Attachments

• 95d1326542c72eafa199925b7fed3457.png
    95d1326542c72eafa199925b7fed3457.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
The cardioid setting should be used, and make sure you are speaking into the front of the mic. The Blue Yeti is known to be very sensitive, and it can pick up distant sounds. You might want to move the mic closer but speak off-axis (not right into the front of it), or move it closer with the diaphragm even with the top of your nose (about 1 hand width away).

Yes, but I should never have taken that, I'll pay him back in the end. According to all the XLR microphone tops I've looked at, blue yeti is not on this list. I will wait for more answers (I hope so.) so that I don't take anything and so that people can advise me not only for the XLR microphone, but also for the sound card I sent(Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen). Thank you for your answer!

First, seal your door all around and at the bottom. If the noise still persists you need to get the other room quieter or really figure out where the noise is getting in, like through connected HVAC ducts (hard to fix). If the door is a flimsy, hollow-core door you can replace it with a solid door or otherwise ad density to it. If the sound is coming through paper walls after that you will be challenged to eliminate background noise without structural change.

As to mics, a dynamic mic will be less sensitive and should be considered if you send the Yeti back to get a mic+interface setup. A plain Shure SM58 is probably fine to start with.

USB connected condenser mics always make me cringe at the start when dealing with a podcast/gaming/whatever environment when there is ambient noise in the room.

Not to mention that with a USB mic, you limit yourself to that one choice and the preamp it contains.

Even a $30 Behri interface will at least give you options for other mics in the future. USB mic is a one trick pony. If it don't work in your environment, then you wasted that money.

First, seal your door all around and at the bottom. If the noise still persists you need to get the other room quieter or really figure out where the noise is getting in, like through connected HVAC ducts (hard to fix). If the door is a flimsy, hollow-core door you can replace it with a solid door or otherwise ad density to it. If the sound is coming through paper walls after that you will be challenged to eliminate background noise without structural change.

As to mics, a dynamic mic will be less sensitive and should be considered if you send the Yeti back to get a mic+interface setup. A plain Shure SM58 is probably fine to start with.

Good advice. The problem with a dynamic is that he mentioned he does not want the mic in his face. So room treatment it is...

And what about this one? I want to take the top even to start. At least I'll be quiet in the future, you understand. And he's dynamic. But what is better between dynamic and static? I know that with the dynamic, we hear less noise in the distance while the static like blue yeti? Is sensitive. There must be something better than the other, especially given the price difference.
Shure Dynamic Microphone, XLR (SM7B)
This microphone is so expensive... there must be something better but cheaper!

Thanks dude !

Yes, so I have a problem with that. Static = we hear the sounds around, dynamic = we don't hear the sounds around (except with the yeti but it is USB mine so it must be normal) I follow a streamer that has the blue yeti pro and its microphone is not in front of its mouth, on the contrary it is far and we hear it as if it were ready.

The blue yeti pro seems to be the most versatile.

Yes, so I have a problem with that. Static = we hear the sounds around, dynamic = we don't hear the sounds around (except with the yeti but it is USB mine so it must be normal) I follow a streamer that has the blue yeti pro and its microphone is not in front of its mouth, on the contrary it is far and we hear it as if it were ready.
Not sure I’m parsing this correctly but the point is, any good mic (and the Yeti is not a bad mic) can sound good given the right “room” and placement with a source that it complements.

So, is your room like the one that sounds good? Obviously not. Maybe your placement is different and voice is different too. But unless you fix your noise problem, you can only resort to a less sensitive mic and/or closer placement to the source (your voice) so to improve the signal to noise ratio.

When you’ve figured out which things you can fix, you’ll know what you have to do.

Not sure I’m parsing this correctly but the point is, any good mic (and the Yeti is not a bad mic) can sound good given the right “room” and placement with a source that it complements.

So, is your room like the one that sounds good? Obviously not. Maybe your placement is different and voice is different too. But unless you fix your noise problem, you can only resort to a less sensitive mic and/or closer placement to the source (your voice) so to improve the signal to noise ratio.

When you’ve figured out which things you can fix, you’ll know what you have to do.

Well stated....

Post an audio file of your recording as well as a pic of your room. I bet you just need a bit of acoustic treatment. Maybe a better door, maybe just a blanket.

No clue how to know what the issue is you have without the details.

Cheers!

I've already asked for a refund. With the XLR I would have a lot of possibilities for my microphone? I'm thinking of going on a blue Yeti pro that for me offers things that others don't have? What do you think of that? Or is there another microphone that might be better. Indeed, very well explained! But as I said in my very first message, I am in the living room (a rather large room with a large window 3 meters behind me. I'm sorry if my English is not correct, you know that translators change words as well as the meaning of sentences sometimes. Another question, with XLR cable, the difference in sound is really different thanks to the sound card?
Thanks so much!

Edit : Okay, I just noticed that my translator had mistranslated. It's not the bedroom but the living room where there's the dining table, TV (have to describe it because my translator doesn't understand

I'll take the shure with a Scarlett ocusrite by paying in installments. What type of XLR cable should I use for the shure SM7B? And will it be better than a blue yeti pro that offers him additional offers all the same.
I heard that the sound card was not enough for the shure and that a "pre-amp" was absolutely necessary because otherwise this investment was useless
Thanks!

Twiky,
I read your first post and you said the TV was "next door." In a later post, you said a "living room... with a dining table and TV...."

Maybe I misunderstood you. Is the TV in the same room as your microphone, and you are trying to record without recording the TV noise too?

If so, regardless of equipment you purchase, this will be next to impossible. The microphone is just a hyper-sensitive ear that will record everything it hears.
Dale

Yes in the same room unfortunately because in my room, I don't have some grip anyway. Apparently the microphone I mentioned above is less sensitive to this kind of thing. Anyway, I made a request for a refund for the yeti. I would like to buy the Shure SM7B I think it is a good purchase? or the yeti pro? i dont know. But I need advice on what goes with it, please(the shure SM7B)... Thank you very much!

I'll take the shure with a Scarlett ocusrite by paying in installments. What type of XLR cable should I use for the shure SM7B? And will it be better than a blue yeti pro that offers him additional offers all the same.
I heard that the sound card was not enough for the shure and that a "pre-amp" was absolutely necessary because otherwise this investment was useless
Thanks!
It depends on your voice, but the SM7b is going to require every bit of gain that Focusrite has. If you want it for "live" use then I would say you will need a Cloudlifter, at least, kind of preamp to get to a reasonable level. If you are just recording, depending on your voice, you might get away with increasing the gain in the recorded track, since that can be done without inserting preamp noise. (It will, of course, increase any other noise that is recorded.)

You are making a pretty big assumption that this is going to solve your problem with noise from another room. Once you get the SM7b gain set where it captures your voice at the level you require, it's also going to be capturing everything else that it can. So, you might want to spend some time looking at pictures and videos of the SM7b being used and see just how closely it is placed to the person's face and mouth, and make sure you can use it that way. If you put it on a desk stand 2 feet away from you, it's not going to be better.

You could save a lot of money buying the SM58, but it still needs to go closer to your face on a floor or desk-clamped boom stand, IMO, to overcome the ambient noise issue you seem to (IMO, mistakenly) believe is going to be fixed with a microphone swap.

Hi,
The cardioid setting should be used, and make sure you are speaking into the front of the mic.
Yes^.

You might want to move the mic closer but speak off-axis (not right into the front of it), or move it closer with the diaphragm even with the top of your nose (about 1 hand width away).
Yes^.

If possible, yes^.

Apparently the microphone I mentioned above is less sensitive to this kind of thing.

Not quite...or not that simple.

By Static, you mean condenser/capacitor mic? A microphone which requires 48V phantom power?

Need to clear a few things up, here.
Your issue is that your microphone is picking up sound from a TV from another room?
Your microphone is, basically, an ear. What would you do if you were talking to a friend, not a microphone, and they couldn't hear you because of a loud TV?

1: Speak louder
2: Move closer to your friend (the microphone)
3: Turn the TV down / off
4: Position yourselves so the TV is behind the listening ear.
5: Place some mass/density between you+your friend, and the TV.

The same rules apply with microphones.

Think of dynamic mic as a regular ear and condenser as one with a hearing aid in it.
Yes, the regular ear is 'less sensitive' but it doesn't know what a TV is. It doesn't know what you are.

If you say the regular ear will pick up the TV less, you have to also think...wait?! It'll pick up my voice less too!
What you end up with is a quieter recording with the same problem, unless you follow at least one of the above five.

The important piece of information is underlined below, and often left out.
'A dynamic mic is less sensitive than a capacitor mic, and therefore you can get much closer to it without worrying about plosives/air blasts.'

It picks up the TV just the same as any other microphone, but you are closer to it so, relatively speaking you are louder.

The same is true for any microphone so as step one, I'd get that microphone as close to your mouth as is possible, then see what's what.
If you don't like that from a visual point of view, try a headset microphone, maybe?

As general info,
yes, a 'proper' interface with preamps and XLR input is probably a good investment for most hobbyists,
and yes, an sm7b is a great microphone,
but neither of those things really addresses your issue. :)

All right, okay, I understand. No, I'm fine in the room where the TV is. But in a while, there won't be the TV all day long. So I'd be in the greatest of calms! In fact, I found a way to position my microphone arm correctly without it bothering me. It's just that when I put on the big pop filter, I couldn't see my second screen. Once again, I paid off the blue yeti it's in a box and it goes to the post office tomorrow. I really want to take the shure SM7B and take your messages as seriously as possible, because it's still a cost. I've watched videos again, and the blue yeti pro for example, it captures much more ambient sounds than the shure, but really, you can see the difference. At the same time, there is a price difference. So between the blue yeti (which I find is overrated, but remains very good) and the shure, there is no picture that the shure is better although it is not the options of the blue yeti.
So for the sound card, it's okay.
For the pre-amp, I'm stuck and I don't know what to take for cheap, but that's really good. There's the Bluetube V2, but it's really expensive. After that, I can still buy the shure and the sound card and buy the pre-amp later or is it really necessary to buy the pre-amp for the microphone to work properly? And as for the XLR cable, I don't know either? Could you please clarify for me?
Thank you again, I take note of your valuable advice. I think it will help me to understand some things.

If you're set on buying a new microphone then you'd need :
Microphone - XLR to XLR cable - Audio interface.

Any XLR cable will do as long as it's A: Balanced, and B: XLR male to XLR female.

You don't need separate preamps/soundcards/etc. An audio interface is an all-in-one box.
Just be sure to get one that's known for having low noise levels and high gain, if you're set on an sm7b as the microphone.
Maybe someone can make a recommendation here?

Please do note, though, that switching the microphone out and making no other changes will result in exactly the same problem, and a much quieter recording over all.

That said, with a dynamic mic you can generally get much closer, without the need for additional pop-filters.
If you do that, it will help with your background noise issue, to some extent.

With so many budget audio interfaces having low gain, I'd probably be tempted to shop for a higher-output dynamic mic like a regular 58, or an re20/re320.
I do love the sm7b but my preamps have no shortage of gain so...Stuff to think about. :)

Back