Problem blue yeti. I refund for a better XLR microphone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
All right, okay! So I'm taking this for now, but I'm told you have to have at least 80DB I know more so that the microphone is at the top of its capabilities

I hope I did not confuse two threads here. I may have thought you already had an SM58.

60dB minimum is what the SM7b works best with. 80+better. You can buy a SM58 for $100 and 60dB of input/interface/preamp gain is enough for that mic.

I recommend you get the interface and the Shure SM58 and see what happens. SM58 resale is about the same so no real loss if you opt for another mic.

Man, dude, sir. The first step is getting any mic into your computer properly. Do that first.

Cheers!

What language do you speak. Looks like you are in France.

I hope I did not confuse two threads here. I may have thought you already had an SM58.

60dB minimum is what the SM7b works best with. 80+better. You can buy a SM58 for $100 and 60dB of input/interface/preamp gain is enough for that mic.

I recommend you get the interface and the Shure SM58 and see what happens. SM58 resale is about the same so no real loss if you opt for another mic.

Man, dude, sir. The first step is getting any mic into your computer properly. Do that first.

Salute!

The OP had started out with a Blue Yeti (USB) and was sending that back, so no mic presently. I agree it would be better for a beginner to start with an SM58 or similar priced mic first. If he gets an SM7b, either Cloudlifter, FetHead, or similar will likely be needed with a 2i2.

Yeah, I did miss that. There was another thread about a user with a 58 and another mic. My bad.

Glad he got rid of the USB mic.

So my advice still stands. Get the interface and a SM58 and see where you get from there.

SM58, SM57, and SM7b comparison into a 2i2. He did not use a Cloudlifter, but boosted the audio in his software I believe. Can you hear the difference?

SM7b >>> Cloudlifter >>> Focusrite 2i2 >>> Computer

I'm 'cheap'. I bought a Triton FetHead instead of a Cloudlifter, less $$$. I'm happy with the FetHead.

Incredible video!..And no, I don't hear the difference

In itself, it is still the price that changes. And indeed it remains very expensive. Just for the stream (for the moment) it may be useless I don't know. I'm just thinking maybe I could use it for later. In other words, the SM58 only asks for the 2i2 for example and while the SM7B asks for an extra pre-amp that is not given knowing that the microphone is already. Frankly, I'm confused....

Incredible video!..And no, I don't hear the difference

Then don't worry about the SM7b if you can't hear the difference. Yet...

That is going to be a new issue in regards to monitoring and room treatment.

I sincerely think the 2i2 and a SM58 is your best start. Learn from recording with that before digging in your wallet for things you might not even need.

Yes "very good to start with" but if one day I want to get over it, I would have spent that microphone for "nothing"! Yes, I see big ahah :p ! But for this kind of prize, there's a lot to think about.

Nope. A 58 can be resold for 80% of it's original cost. It may be all you need.

Lose $20 to know what you need before spending $400 makes sense to me.

I could recommend you spend $10,000 or more just to get the basics that I need in my studio. But your needs may not be the same as mine. So start from step one bro.

No need to move further before you know what you need. Spend smart. :)

So I assume that the XLR cable I sent is the same SM58/SM7B?
But in terms of ambient sound, I didn't understand the video (not English: p) the SM7B picks up less ambient sound than the SM58 or is it the same?
Oh yeah, well.....:wtf: lol knowing that I don't make music at all.
And we dont need pre-amp for SM58 ?

"Yes, the difference was more subtle than I though it would be as well. After shooting this I read that the SM7B really shines with a high end preamp that offers a lot of gain and headroom, so you can turn up without peaking. I found out that a way less expensive way to accomplish this is with the Cloudlifter, which is sometimes sold with the mic in a kit. It did make a huge difference on the SM7B, but I have not tried it yet on the SM58 so I still can't really offer a fair comparison until I do."

Deep down, I'm always tempted for the SM7B... :mad:

I posted another message in the previous page.

The SM7b has a flatter response curve.

The same XLR cable works for all.

No 'extra' needed preamp for the 57/58.

Just buy the interface/cable/58 and learn. We could go on for days here speculating. Just start there.

I have that : Eastshining Bras Support de Suspension Microphone Micro forme Ciseaux avec la Base Rotative et Adaptateur pour Blue Yeti pour studio,diffusion,station de television,enregistrement sonore,video(Noir): Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique
Compatible with the SM58/SM7B ?

But if I had to orient myself for an SM7b, as an amplifier, I'd probably take that: DBX 286 S – Thomann France

With a second XLR cable for the AMP the same one I will buy for the microphone (if I take it one day SM7B) Stagg Guitare 20 m Noir: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

I watched a lot of video of him, very interesting! I learned a lot of things from you(forum) as well. Thanks YouTube

And that's all! I mean, "that's all" it's still a lot of money! I take note of your valuable advice, I will really think it over and not take it in a hurry like the yeti USB... Deep down, I want the SM7B and part of me thinks it's expensive. On one side there is the SM58 which has the same sound as SM7B and on the other side the SM7B is better WITH an amp. As for the SM58 with an amp, I don't know if it's at the same level as an SM7B?
Is everything okay? For a second XLR cable? I don't want to make a mistake and buy something useless.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Then just do it! The compressor thing looks cool. I have no experience with it so I cannot give advice there.

I must say this is going on way too long. Get the fucking interface man!

Start from there.

You still require an interface. Go to 00:16:07 of the video and see that he uses an Audient iD22. I have an older dbx286A and still use a Cloudlifter CL-1, because the 286A operates at the limit of available gain, for the SM7B.

His rig: SM7B (XLR to XLR)>> dbx286s (TRS cable out to Interface [Audient iD22 because he can bypass the preamps on this model])>> USB-In to Computer

My rig: SM7B (XLR to XLR)>> Cloudlifter CL-1 (phantom power ON) (XLR to XLR>> dbx286A (TRS to TRS cable to Lexicon Alpha)>> USB-In to Computer
Dale

Last edited:
Yes an interface with integrated sound card? I have that in mind:

Focusrite - Scarlett 2i2 (2eme generation) Interface seulement: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

Oh, yeah? So DBX wouldn't be a good solution?
Is there also the Bluetube V2?
The cloud, has no interface that is a little annoying, it's always nice to be able to change something i think.

EDIT : Oh well, so no need for a second XLR cable then. But the TRS for example : DBX câble TRS > foscurite and SM7B XLR > Foscurite

Since you are adamant about an SM7B, His rig will get you recording. Just replace his Audient iD22, with your Focusrite 2i2:

SM7B (XLR to XLR cable)>> dbx286s (TRS to TRS cable to Focusrite Input set to Line)>> F'rite USB-Out to USB-In to Computer.

You will have to make sure the gain staging is set correctly, since you cannot bypass the Focusrite Pre Amp. The dbx286s may or may not provide the necessary gain for the SM7B.
Dale

Last edited:
Back