Problem blue yeti. I refund for a better XLR microphone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
Okay, fine!

This XLR cable? Stagg Guitare 20 m Noir: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

And this audio interface so integrated sound card (And it's well known, all the streamers I know, they have this sound card): Focusrite - Scarlett 2i2 (2eme generation) Interface seulement: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

And so, no pre-amp? What exactly does it matter not to take a pre-amp except that the sound of the microphone adapts to our voice whether it is high or low? So it's not necessary? What else does it matter with the pre-amp?

As for the rest, I don't hide from you that my translator has difficulty translating and so there are some words that I don't understand at all.

Thanks dude! :)

I would like the sound of my voice to be at the top top and without bringing my microphone very close to my mouth.

Twiky, how far do you think you want the mic to be from your mouth (centimeters)? Does it need to be out of view from a camera?

When I use my SM7b it may be from 5cm to 20cm from my mouth. Further away and my interface may not have enough gain and it may start to pick up sound in the room. How loud you speak will make difference also.

Okay, fine!

This XLR cable? Stagg Guitare 20 m Noir: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

And this audio interface so integrated sound card (And it's well known, all the streamers I know, they have this sound card): Focusrite - Scarlett 2i2 (2eme generation) Interface seulement: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

And so, no pre-amp? What exactly does it matter not to take a pre-amp except that the sound of the microphone adapts to our voice whether it is high or low? So it's not necessary? What else does it matter with the pre-amp?

As for the rest, I don't hide from you that my translator has difficulty translating and so there are some words that I don't understand at all.

Thanks dude! :)
From the Shure site:

"When selecting a preamp for the SM7 for voice-over work, make certain the preamp has a minimum 60 dB of gain."​

The consumer Focusrite is not going to get you there, so I'd say you will be disappointed if you use it without a preamp on the SM7b. As I said, you might be able to record a track and boost it in post, but not in a live situation.

The RME Babyface Pro has 65dB of gain, so that would be an option. Probably somewhere in between that and the 2i2 there is a workable solution, and maybe one affordable. Otherwise you should budget for a separate preamp, like I suggested the Cloudlifter is a popular choice.

From the Shure site:

"When selecting a preamp for the SM7 for voice-over work, make certain the preamp has a minimum 60 dB of gain."​

The consumer Focusrite is not going to get you there, so I'd say you will be disappointed if you use it without a preamp on the SM7b. As I said, you might be able to record a track and boost it in post, but not in a live situation.

The RME Babyface Pro has 65dB of gain, so that would be an option. Probably somewhere in between that and the 2i2 there is a workable solution, and maybe one affordable. Otherwise you should budget for a separate preamp, like I suggested the Cloudlifter is a popular choice.

Or a Focusrite 2i2 with a Cloudlifter or FetHead inline preamp added to chain between the SM7b and interface.

Much depends on what is expected for a working distance mouth to mic and the loudness of the speaker.

But a sound card is essential for an XLR microphone?!
Why would everyone take a foscuritis for example?
RME Babyface Pro, it is very expensive lol.
So foscurite for the sound card and Cloudlifter for the pre-amp? And so if I understood correctly, the pre-amp is just to improve my voice gain? But foscrutite can already do it but not enough of what I understood. But I think it was more than enough for a start?
And if not, is the cable I sent correct?

EDIT : Okay, all right, I just figured it out, I think.
What you're offering me (the expensive thing) is a foscurite fused with a pre-amp with an integrated sound card. And for less expensive, just take a foscurite (sound card) + a pre-amp to get the right number of 60DB. Its that ?

No, it doesn't bother me too much anymore since I adjusted my microphone arm from before the microphone in front of my mouth. It makes sense when you think about it, since headsets are like that. It's just bigger now: p
After that, it's for sure that if there was an option for the shure to allow you to move the microphone further, it would be great for a dynamic!

These audio interfaces (with XLR input on the front) have preamps built in to them.

A microphone like the sm7b happens to have a very low output; Devices like the cloudlifter or fethead boost a microphones output to get around this.
That's why people are recommending them.

If you used an sm58 or md421, for example, you might not need the cloudlifter or fethead.
With any condenser microphone you definitely wouldn't need one.

I'd buy a 58 and a 2i2, or put a foam-ball windscreen on the mic you already have. ;)

These audio interfaces (with XLR input on the front) have preamps built in to them.

A microphone like the sm7b happens to have a very low output; Devices like the cloudlifter or fethead boost a microphones output to get around this.
That's why people are recommending them.

If you used an sm58 or md421, for example, you might not need the cloudlifter or fethead.
With any condenser microphone you definitely wouldn't need one.

I'd buy a 58 and a 2i2, or put a foam-ball windscreen on the mic you already have. ;)

Or a cardioid pattern mic using a neodymium magnet in the element which will yield an even hotter output than the an SM58 :)

Electro-Voice Co9 | RecordingHacks.com

3.2mv/PA vs 1.85mv/PA of the SM58

Oh, okay, I understand better. The choices available on the shure website for the microphone are sound cards with 80DB so you don't need to buy multiple devices. People who take a sound card (foscurite for example) are forced to buy a pre-amp to get the perfect DB. I think the simple and good reason he doesn't take the ME Babyface Pro, for example, is just very expensive!
I haven't bought anything yet. But the microphones you're proposing, I think they're of a lower level than the shure one, I think.

There's a youtubeur who bought this as a preamp, what's the point? So that the microphone adapts to our voice if we scream or not? and he's got it with it the prescorite
BlueTube DP v2 | PreSonus

The SM7 and to some extent the EV RE20/320 are often considered as deaf - my Tascam 1641 interface, for example, has enough noise free to sing into one, but unless your lips are on the grill, speaking in a normal volume means the gain has to be cranked up, and the Tascam just cannot hack it.

I'm not a convert to the concept of wonderful sounding preamps - either freestanding or built into an A/D converter. My hate is simply noise. An interface with decent gain and good s/n or external preamps in line doesn't bother me at all - as long as they don't hiss, I don't care.

Oh ok !
But I don't want to buy something for 600€ to get the right DB...

1) I don't understand something.
On the shure site for the microphone he offers:
Grace M101
HR-MP2A from Radio Design Labs
Cloudlifter Mic Activator
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

But for example, the cloudlifter, does not have an interface like foscurite why? We can't change anything.

2) There's a youtubeur who bought this as a preamp, what's the point? So that the microphone adapts to our voice if we scream or not? and he's got it with it the prescorite BlueTube DP v2 | PreSonus

3) I also saw that i need a cable for the CL-1 Cloudlifter, what is the cable please? I prefer to ask :)

4) And so in short, it's a little vague for me, buying a foscrurite + cloud CL1 or directly a RME Babyface Pro is just to avoid buying 2 boxes and to obtain sufficient DB ? And it's more expensive?

5) And its the good cable for foscurite/SM7B ? Stagg Guitare 20 m Noir: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep it simple (if possible).........

The SM58 was suggested and the Focusrite 2i2 is a decent interface.

Unfortunately this video has background music, but you can get a good idea of the sound of the mic with voice

And a cheaper interface, the Behringer UMC204HD...

Frankly, I can pay for the microphone I want in several installments.
I watched the videos even though I don't understand English but I still think the ShureSM 7B is the best?...... Considering the price already (I know it's not everything) but you know what I mean.

I'm ready to buy, but I hope to get an answer in my previous answer! I have numbered the questions I ask, because it's still a big investment and I think I can use a microphone of this size for later.
I like the top, and when I see a $100 or $200 microphone compared to the SM7B I think there is something less good...or maybe not..

I would start with the 2i2 interface first. See what the mic you already have sounds like. No sense in spending before you know what you need. You do need an interface first!

So get that and see how it sounds to you.

Then if you feel it is not right for you, then purchase what does.

SM58, SM57, and SM7b comparison into a 2i2. He did not use a Cloudlifter, but boosted the audio in his software I believe. Can you hear the difference?

SM7b >>> Cloudlifter >>> Focusrite 2i2 >>> Computer

I'm 'cheap'. I bought a Triton FetHead instead of a Cloudlifter, less $$$. I'm happy with the FetHead.

It is a good start man. Don't spend money unless you need to. The interface and the mic cable. See how your mic works for you.

All right, okay! So I'm taking this for now, but I'm told you have to have at least 80DB I know more so that the microphone is at the top of its capabilities

Back