AT pro 25 or shure drum mic kit?

Project illicit

Im about to get a drum mic set up and i wanted to know if im better off geting the shure mic kit that comes with 3 sm 57s and a beta 52 or 3 57s and a AT Pro 25...

It is gona be a lot easyer for me to get the kit because my Guitar Center doesn't have the AT pro and im gona have to wait *arrg* but if its a lot better than the beta 52 than ill do it...

Ive heard that the 52 sounds good but the at pros cheaper? i duno..

Thx for the help in advance :)

Opinions on that one vary an awful lot. This probably isn't what you're going to want to hear, but I get the feeling that different mics sound better on different types and brands of kick drums, and a lot of it has to do with how it is tuned, the drummer's style, etc. So it's almost impossible to tell unless you audition one specifically on the drums you'll be using.

Other than that, the general consensus is that the AT Pros are probably every bit as good as the Shures - even better - in most instances, and cost a bit less.

I think the Senn 602 is even better than those two mics on the kick. It has a lot more sub anyway. Depends on the style music I guess.

Please excuse me for speaking for him, but he has said on numerous occasions that he prefers the ATs over the Shures for kick drum. Just an fyi.

I'm not sure "better" is the right word.

My one experience with the Beta 52 was when the manager of a metal group brought in his two brand new Beta 52s to record the double kicks on his drummer's set. I figured I'd give them a try. After dinking with them for about a half hour, I gave up, and switched to the ATM25 in the main kick, and the AT Pro 25 in the second kick.

Everybody agreed that the AT sound was much closer to what they wanted, tight, punchy, with better beater click than the Beta 52, which sounded dull and tubby by comparison.

The group's manager returned the two Beta 52s to the store the next day.

to Pro Ill

The ATs aren't "better", maybe that's just what Harvey prefers. You know it's okay to make up your own mind.

Based on what I heard that day, I probably wouldn't buy the Beta 52 for our studio. I can pretty much get that same sound if I ever need it, with a D112 (or my D12E) and a little EQ.

Back