portable audio recorder, usb mic or external iphone mic to record spoken word/rap?

Best recording option for rap spoken word/ rap vocals?

• tascam majig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • zoom majig

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • external iphone mic majig

• usb mic...majig

• Total voters

eddingt0n

Hi!

I'm going a bit crazy over what to buy. I'm starting out trying to properly record spoken word/rap vocals and have disappeared down a rabbit hole of top 10 lists and youtube comparisons of different mics and audio recorders..............:yawn:

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me make my decision!!!

basically, I want a quality audio recorder/microphone that is portable where I can easily record/download/upload an instrumental and then rap and record a vocal straight over it, without having to join the two audio files together manually afterwards.

I don't mind having a bit of a learning curve and spending around (preferably under) $150.

thanks so much

tl,dr = looking for a portable, quality audio recorder/mic to record/overdub/produce demo rap songs (mini music studio device) :thumbs up:

I'm confused a bit. How are you going to produce these instrumental tracks? A bank of synths, drum machines, samples? Are they prerecorded tracks that you just want to add vocals on top of?

I think you're expecting a lot for $150. Its not as simple as recording track one, hitting record and adding the sound on the same track as number one, then adding a vocal to the same track again. Each one will be an individual track which has to be mixed down later.

At the very minimum, you'll need something like the Tascam DP06 which will let you do 6 tracks that can be mixed to a master track. Its $150, has two microphones built in, runs on batteries and uses SD cards for storage.

For $200 the DP008EX would be a better unit, with 8 tracks, and it will allow you to use better microphones via the XLR inputs, plus guitars or keyboards, etc.

Thanks so much for the reply, TalismanRich!

i'll definitely check out those options you mentioned :)

I set out just to buy a portable audio recorder/mic that I could use on the road, freestyling with friends, and at home, recording demos of raps laid over my own or other people's instrumentals.

But, then I thought that if I am to shell out a good chunk of change on a voice recorder/mic, I should look into which are best for musicians/vocalists, that would offer me any extras that would be beneficial towards producing/songwriting.

so, I have the money, but i really wanna get it right and go for the right thing, it's just that I don't know which road to go down; usb mic, portable audio recorder or iphone mic....

tl,dr i'm indecisive and trying to find the perfect product for my needs.

I'm confused a bit. How are you going to produce these instrumental tracks? A bank of synths, drum machines, samples? Are they prerecorded tracks that you just want to add vocals on top of?

I think you're expecting a lot for $150. Its not as simple as recording track one, hitting record and adding the sound on the same track as number one, then adding a vocal to the same track again. Each one will be an individual track which has to be mixed down later.

At the very minimum, you'll need something like the Tascam DP06 which will let you do 6 tracks that can be mixed to a master track. Its $150, has two microphones built in, runs on batteries and uses SD cards for storage.

For $200 the DP008EX would be a better unit, with 8 tracks, and it will allow you to use better microphones via the XLR inputs, plus guitars or keyboards, etc.

really interesting suggestions! i was thinking about something less complete, but really, it might be an investment to just go straight for one of these...hmmm

The all-in-one options aren't the best if you're going to be doing full blown production, but for on-the-go recording, they're great. I've got a Zoom H4n that I used to take with me when I traveled for work, and a Zoom R24 for onsite recording. Many will also act as an audio interface if you want to throw things into a DAW and expand on the tracks at home.

When I'm recording at home, I've got a Tascam 16x08 that goes straight to Reaper, but for the tracks recorded on the Zooms, I pull the SD card and dump them right into Reaper.

Back