pop filter thatttttttt necessary?

oh_the_blood

im starting a small home studio, and i just ordered my studio projects b1 mic, thanks to everyone telling me to one here, and it comes with a windscreen, so my question to you is, do i need a pop filter still? because if i dont, id rather spend 20 bucks on something else, like cables( boring, i know).

go to walmart and go to the crafts dept. get yourself one of those lil knitting or crocheting hoops or what ever they are...about 50 cents...then get some stockings and make your own. either way...i say you would be better off having one.

standard pop filters and stockings attenuate the highs that could be a good thing for some, but i don't use regular pop filters anymore after trying a stedman. stedmans cost from$40-55 but after hearing the sound difference its well worth it

If a singer knows how to "work" a mic then no,you don't need a pop screen. Personally, I've never met anyone who CAN work a mic but I've read they're out there.

Track Rat said:
If a singer knows how to "work" a mic then no,you don't need a pop screen. Personally, I've never met anyone who CAN work a mic but I've read they're out there.

I've heard that is a myth, like the drummer who can keep time. ;)

scrubs said:
I've heard that is a myth, like the drummer who can keep time. ;)

That being said, definitely get a pop filter. It is $20 that will save you a lot of headaches at mixdown.

1. go buy a cheap pair of panty-hose.
2. take a wire coat hanger and shape it into a loop with a handle.
3. you can bend the end of the handle to make it so that it will fit and hang onto the mic stand.
4. take piece of panty hose and put them around wire circle and either rubber band or tie it at bottom (near handle).
5. the wire hanger can be adjusted to your specifications.

for all intensive purposes it works just as well as one you would have to pay $$$ for. perfectly filters out the wind and harshness of the "P's" and "B's".

How does Howard Stern do it?

Just a little slightly off-topic highjack:

I've seen the Howard Stern show on E and he uses what appears to be a Neumann condenser. He does not use a pop filter and frequently has his mouth right up on the grill. I know he obviously has better equipment than I will ever dream of, and that this is spoken word stuff, but how does he keep from thrashing the capsule?

Just wondering.

howard has broadcast compression. soon as he talks he going through compressor over 10:1
wind screens suck. i remember when i had a akg solid tube years ago. it came with a bright yellow wind screen.. all wind screens suck. get a pop filter... i guess since your only using a b1 your not gonna really care about a stedman.. but its a step up no doubt. i use a stedman with all my vocal tracking mics

DO NOT USE STOCKINGS

c9-2001 said:
howard has broadcast compression. soon as he talks he going through compressor over 10:1

I hear you, but I would still think the plosives and moisture would be hell on the microphone itself.

It is not a great comparison, but, I tried it out (speaking directly into the mic without a pop filter) on one of those MXL 990s once. After doing that, the mic started cutting out on me. I had to send it back to MF for replacement (thank goodness for that 45-day return policy...suckers :) ).

I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't need a pop filter. My plosives are very polite. My wife, who also sings, always needs one.

scrubs said:
I hear you, but I would still think the plosives and moisture would be hell on the microphone itself.

It is not a great comparison, but, I tried it out (speaking directly into the mic without a pop filter) on one of those MXL 990s once. After doing that, the mic started cutting out on me. I had to send it back to MF for replacement (thank goodness for that 45-day return policy...suckers :) ).

moisture probably is fuc*king him mic up. some of the guys have u87's and i think the last time i saw that show a few ppl had sm7's...
howard usually has a tlm103. broadcast compression and rolling off everything under 120hz then thinking the eq for broadband.. you won't even hear the plosives.

you mxl990 and a tlm103.. build quality and capsule.. i've had mics that ended up having problems from to much direct wind but at the same time. i know i can take.....my k2 for example.. i can talk in it the same way howard and i won't have any issues.. i wouldn't dare try it with my ribbon mic though...

i read the manual for my studio projects b1 (yes theres a manual) and it says direct wind can seriosly harm the mic, so i guess ill splurge and get a 20 dollar pop filter.. ohhhh well

It's a worthwhile investment, oh_the_blood, but there's nothing wrong with a homemade one. Either way, your mics will thank you, and you'll eliminate potential problems. Trust us on this one.

How far away from the mic should the pop filter/singer be?

I'm recording on an SM57/Red Audio RV6/Behringer B5.

tomraffe said:
How far away from the mic should the pop filter/singer be?

I'm recording on an SM57/Red Audio RV6/Behringer B5.

It depends greatly on the mic, singer, and desired sound. You can sort of place the pop filter strategically to keep the singer from getting too close to the mic, if needed.

For the SM57, a dynamic mic, you'll want to get relatively close. I would say, keep the distance between the singer and mic to around 2-6". This will ensure you don't need too much gain and will allow you to take advantage of some proximity effect (bass boost when close to the mic).

Condenser mics are much more sensitive and you can place the singer further back (6-18"), depending on the singer's vocal volume (further away if a screamer) and the desired effect (closer for that intimate, whispery sound).

Back