Poll: SM57 vs MD421

Which do you prefer

• Shure SM57

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Sennheiser MD421

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
i'm just quoting myself from the other trhead:

" The MD 421 for sure. the md421 has a nicer frequency response(at least imo) , better off-axis response, a variable low-cut, nicer lo end..... allround a much better mic.... then again it is a more expensive mic.... "

It depends on what you are trying to do. 75% of the time I use both on the same cabinet. The 57 is completly different in the midrange than the 421. In fact, I almost think of them as being opposites. They do compliment each other very well if you get the phasing right.

King Louis said:
Which do you prefer and why?

Just quick answers will do.

p.s ignore the other thread, is a mistake.

Cheers
T.
It might be more interesting if the poll was... SM-7 vs MD421. ;)

Mark7 said:
Also more accurate.

I don't know, the 421 is better than the 57 at most of the 57's usual applications. The 7, on the other hand, kills either mic on vocals, but I don't think it sees much use on snare.

You can also adjust the tonal response of the MD421, which is something you can't do on the SM57 but can do on the SM-7.

Plus both the 421 and the 7 were designed as broadcast mics.

So MD421 to SM-7 is still a more accurate comparison.

By the way, what does the M S stand for? :confused:

Yeah music and speech.

crazymark7 said:
Plus both the 421 and the 7 were designed as broadcast mics.
Really? How come they tested it on an artillery range then? Those Germans are very meticulous.

Oh, and have you got a job yet??;)

Nope.

Maybe they wanted to see if it'd stand up to the voice of Germany's loudest DJ (whoever he was/is)

The MD421 is slightly more of "all rounder" because you can record better off- axis with it, whereas the off-axis response of a '57 is poor.

Oddly enough some singers used the 421 as a...handheld (live) during the 60's/70's!

Both will take EQing well, although the 421 needs less for yours truly.
If I only could have one, it would be the 421 because of this.

BTW the newer/current 421 MKII is quite a bit brighter, and can bring out sssibilance. :) Also the older "Unidyne III" SM57's are more consistant in
sound-some of the "Mexican" ones are thinner with less top end detail.

Chris

I have a videotape collection of various live performances by the Beatles. In one venue, they are all using 421s, and that clip has the clearest vocal sound of any.

The 421 is not a bad choice for just about anything, unless you need a small microphone. Can't say that about the SM57 IMO.

It's like asking whether you'd rather have a RAM 2500 with dually, or an old Ford work truck. You can always sell the Dodge, buy the Ford, and take a trip to Bermuda- for a while.-Richie

Back