Planet Waves or Studio Projects?

a bit of a down side with the Kiwi cable is they tend to have a memory, so when you uncoil them it can take a bit before the relax and lay down well. the sound is good though

What are you going to use the cable for?

Live, we use EWI Quad cables and the are incredible. Very durable, rock solid build, and sound great. These things can be used and abused and they always work without fail.

I've been using Proco Ameriquad cables in my studio, and they work fine and sound great.

Proco and EWI Quad cables are not available here:(
I have to choose one of these: Planet Waves or Studio Projets.

Rairun said:
Proco and EWI Quad cables are not available here:(
I have to choose one of these: Planet Waves or Studio Projets.

Where is here? Seems you'd have more than only two choices. :confused:

You don't even have the mic yet? Get either one... it'll be just the same either way.

I went with Canare twisted pair on my last cable. We used Neutrik connectors on one batch and Switchcraft on the other.

I just emailed one of the gear designers I know and asked him to recommend some specific cable. He said go with Canara twisted pair. I've used some expensive manufactured quad cables in the past. I prefer the sound of the twisted pair. There are different explanations for the differences. I won't go into those but you can Google them.

warble2 said:
Where is here? Seems you'd have more than only two choices. :confused:
I live in Turkey.Studio Projects and Planet Waves are well-known here.I don't now any other good brands available here.
Are these two brands not good enough?Because everybody suggest something else :rolleyes: .

rory said:
You don't even have the mic yet? Get either one... it'll be just the same either way.

I have a mic, Sennheiser e840, which is for vocal.I'll sell it and buy Rode NT1A

Rairun said:
I live in Turkey.Studio Projects and Planet Waves are well-known here.I don't now any other good brands available here.
Are these two brands not good enough?

It's not that they aren't good enough, it's just you can get the same performance for a bit less money. You can only get what you can get, though. I personally would probably get the one that is more easily available to you, if there is a problem that makes it easier to get a replacement.

Supercreep said:
My experience with that mic is that it's crispy and harsh.

YMMV

This is the first time i'm reading something bad about that mic. :eek: .You won't be able to deter me from buying NT1A :mad: .
:p

Rairun said:
This is the first time i'm reading something bad about that mic. :eek: .You won't be able to deter me from buying NT1A :mad: .
:p

Do a search around here for opinions on that mic. It wouldn't be my first choice in that price range - although I must say I've never used one. I've got CAD and Groove Tubes mics I'm happy with.

warble2 said:
Do a search around here for opinions on that mic. It wouldn't be my first choice in that price range - although I must say I've never used one. I've got CAD and Groove Tubes mics I'm happy with.

Then what would be your first choice in that price range?
I must say; i need a mic for vocals and especially for guitars.And NT1A is a great all purpose mic(everbody say so. i've never used one).
But I'd like to hear your choice.
Anyway thanks for all replys :)

Rairun said:
i need a mic for vocals and especially for guitars.And NT1A is a great all purpose mic(everbody say so. i've never used one).

Acoustic or electric guitars (or both)? I don't know who "everybody" is, but my NT1 (not NT1a) is not very good for guitars. It is quite bright - good for deep voices, or very smooth midrange voices; it gets screetchy and harsh on other things, including acoustic guitars. A much better all-purpose mic in that pricerange would be the CAD M179. It is more neutral. Not necessarily great for vocals, but it gets the job done and sounds much better on acoustic guitars, imo.

Everybody doesn't say that the NT1A is a great all purpose mic. What scrubs said is along the lines I've what I've heard from others about that mic.

I'd agree with the CAD mic recommendation. I have a couple M177's (single pattern version of the M179), and they have worked well for me. They are not "flattering" on voices, they will just give you pretty much what the singer sounds like. On acoustic guitars, I have been happy with the results (running through a decent pre-amp of course).

I'm assuming you don't have a huge budget, and hopefully we're helping you a bit.

Back