Phantom power unit or preamp w/ p.p.?

adrianhouse

Hello,

Newbie question - my recorder, a Tascam 414 mkII cassette portastudio, doesn't have phantom power (and I don't intend to buy a new recorder); should I get a phantom power unit, or a preamp that also has phantom power? Each channel does have a preamp built into it, but is there a benefit to getting a separate preamp? If it's not a big deal, I'll just get the cheapest. Thanks for your help,

Adrian

I suspect that for the quality of the recording on your Tascam, you may as well just get an outboard phantom unit. I'm not sure you would realize the benefit of a separate pre, especially if there was no insert allowing you to bypass the Tascam pre. Check e-bay, they can be pretty cheap.

Do you already have a condensor mic that needs phantom power? There are batterry powered condensors that don't require outboard power. Another option is a cheap tube mic that comes with it's own power supply. I think the last time I was browsing through musicians friend I saw a marshall tube mic for $150. A couple weeks ago MF had marshall v63m bp mics on sale for $39 which is now out of stock but they do have the same battery powered mic with a case and a small desk stand for $59.

Do you already have a condensor mic that needs phantom power? There are batterry powered condensors that don't require outboard power. Another option is a cheap tube mic that comes with it's own power supply. I think the last time I was browsing through musicians friend I saw a marshall tube mic for $150. A couple weeks ago MF had marshall v63m bp mics on sale for $39 which is now out of stock but they do have the same battery powered mic with a case and a small desk stand for $59.

Hi Randy,
Don't have a condensor yet; have an sm57 and 58, and want a better vocal mic, and I think drum overheads, which from reading seems to mean 2 sd condensors. Couldn't find marshall mics on mf. And I don't know what a tube mic is :p; couldn't find it on the faq. Is it a dynamic, condensor...? Thanks for your help,
Adrian

Hi Adrian. A tube mic is a condensor (with a tube in it, lol) that comes with it's own power supply so it doesn't need additional phantom power. Look under MXL mics at MF, they have a ton of different choices and packages available. They have a package that you might look into that includes an Audio Buddy two channel preamp and a LD condensor and a SD condensor for $99, they do still have the LD battery powered MXL in a package with a case and deskstand but it's up to $69 and the LD tube that I had mentioned is back up to $199. Seeing that you're looking for more than one mic a cheap two channel preamp like the audio buddy might be right for you, it sells for $59 by itself or for another $40 you can get it with MXL LD and SD mics. Pick up another SD for stereo recording and you're in business

There's nothing wrong with outboard phantom power. I personally think that if you want to take ur recordings to the next level, you are going to need pre's with phantom power. Most decent Condenser mics need phantom power, and I think it would be a great first buy. Also, an MXL 990 for vocals to begin is also a great start.

Back