Phantom Power unit or Mic pre - help me decide

Okra

Using a tascam 424mkIII 4 track cassette,
2 MSH-1A mics

Doing live recording with it.

Torn between buying a dual phantom power supply unit for the mics, or if I should get a mic-pre w/ phantom power.

Will the 424mkIII sound decent w/ just the phantom pwr supply, or does it need external preamp to do anything that would sound good?

Only used the recorder w/ SM57's so I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to condensers.

Trying to keep the setup as simple as possible.

Thanks.

I would lean towards an external pre. By the time a manufacturer throws together the bits for an external phantom supply, it's most of what they need for a mic pre, so the cost isn't that much different. Also, a decent mic pre will make every mic you use sound better, not just the condensers.

Of course if you are trying to go as simple as possible, I would look for a battery-powered condenser mic. I'd love to have that product out myself . . . but there is only so much time :(

Okra said:
Using a tascam 424mkIII 4 track cassette,
2 MSH-1A mics

Doing live recording with it.

Torn between buying a dual phantom power supply unit for the mics, or if I should get a mic-pre w/ phantom power.

Will the 424mkIII sound decent w/ just the phantom pwr supply, or does it need external preamp to do anything that would sound good?

Only used the recorder w/ SM57's so I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to condensers.

Trying to keep the setup as simple as possible.

Thanks.

I made some great recordings on those little 424's :D

I'd opt for a pre as you can also use this with

a mini disc
a computer / laptop
ch 5-8 on the 424 for two extra mic inputs

A used DMP3 on ebay is a decent small, cheap, lightweight dual pre - bit flimsy plastics though so have to be careful throwing this one in the gearbag

Back