Phantom Power Question

King Elvis

I just purchased a Marshall MXL 1006 mic which requires a 48v phantom power source. I have an Art Tube MP which says it provides 48v phantom power. If I borrow the cable from my SM-57 which has an XLR on one end and a 1/4 inch plug on the other and plug the XLR into the mic and the 1/4 inch into the MP it doesnt work, so my question is...am I actually getting phantom power this way and my mic is just defective, or do i need to go from XLR out on the mic to XLR in on the MP to get the phantom power source I need...HELP!!!

King Elvis said:
..do i need to go from XLR out on the mic to XLR in on the MP to get the phantom power source I need..

Yep. I'm not aware of any mic preamp that supplies phantom via 1/4 TRS, it's always XLR.

King Elvis said:
I just purchased a Marshall MXL 1006 mic which requires a 48v phantom power source. I have an Art Tube MP which says it provides 48v phantom power. If I borrow the cable from my SM-57 which has an XLR on one end and a 1/4 inch plug on the other and plug the XLR into the mic and the 1/4 inch into the MP it doesnt work, so my question is...am I actually getting phantom power this way and my mic is just defective, or do i need to go from XLR out on the mic to XLR in on the MP to get the phantom power source I need...HELP!!!

You shouldn't be using those cheap XLR-1/4" cables anyway - theres no impedance change - just a crappy adaptor.

But indeed, no phantom power source will ever supply phantom power to a 1/4" jack - only to XLR (they figure that if you have a mic that requires phantom power, you are smart enough not to use crappy cables)

just for future reference, you need to use XLR to XLR because the phantom is supplied using the 2 audio conductors in the cable(pins 2 & 3) pin 1 is ground, and has nothing to do with phantom. by using a 1/4 to XLR, there is not the second audio couductor to complete the circuit. i am not trying to show up anyone, knowledge is to be shared.:D

thanks guys...It is just that I have never used a condenser mic before, I have always used the sm-57 but I hate the way my vocals turn out. I knew I needed the phantom power just didnt know how to go about getting it. Thanks to all!!

Back