Phantom Power to one mic w/out damaging a non-phantom powered mic?

Dogband

I have a simple Berhinger mix board, with phantom power, that is either on to both XLR channels or off to both channels.

Can I turn this on to power my Shure SM-94 which needs this [ or batteries] with out damaging my new Sennheiser e835 which does not require phantom power? The SM-94 seems to do better w phantom power than with new batteries, and I get tired of changing the batteries.

thank you.

Well I don't know about *exhaustive*, I could have droned on about the vagaries of center-tapped output transformers on ancient ribbon microphones, or TRS patchbays, or certain unusual dynamic mics that don't have output transformers . . . but I am very, very good looking :D Except for the part about me being good looking :(

Nothing wrong with a short, accurate answer, but it might be helpful to the OP, and others reading this post, to point out that phantom power is very unlikely to damage any dynamic mic (that does not need it.) The concern is usually for older (or older design) ribbon mics, which usually freak out when they see phantom power, and die very shortly thereafter.

And I am sure you are good looking, MS. Maybe not "very, very" good looking, but at least your mother thinks you are handsome!

Back