phantom power on non phantom power mics?

seismetr0n

i was just wondering if there are adverse effects when you put phantom power to a non phantom power mic?

i usually record with phantom power on (all mics) since i have a couple that need it.. i havent noticed anything nasty.. but just wondering if anything nasty might happen

thanks

It shouldn't have any effect on your signal, but be careful w/ old ribbon mics.
If you are not using a condenser mic, it is recommended that you don't use phantom power.
It will do no damage if the dynamic is balanced, however if it is a not balanced it shorts out the phantom power to ground. Which may damage the phantom power supply.

Be careful of a ribbon mic and phantom power. If its not specifcally designed for it (such as a royer 122) it will blow the ribbon.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about plugging and unplugging mics while the phantom power is on. I have heard bad stories about it ruining a phantom power supply or the mic etc....It hasn't happened to me when I would forget, and it may not happen at all. I just think "better safe than sorry", ya know?

The phantom power on my board had been on for 8 years. Plugging and unplugging mics is fine (you want to mute the channel)

That ribbon thing only refers to a very few, very rare mics. It can also be a problem if the mic cable is wired wrong. But if everything in in good working order and you aren't using vintage ribbon mics, you will be fine.

...actually, the newer generation of Chinese/Russian ribbon mics (i.e. the Nady/Apex/Shinybox) are very vulnerable to phantom power "fry"...it's mandatory that you DO NOT enable phantom with these microphones, unless you have a need for a $200. paper weight...also, tube microphones that come with dedicated power supplies should not be used with phantom...it's unlikely they would be damaged by enabling phantom, but the presence of an audible hum is not uncommon when both power sources are enabled...

kidvybes said:
...actually, the newer generation of Chinese/Russian ribbon mics (i.e. the Nady/Apex/Shinybox) are very vulnerable to phantom power "fry"...it's mandatory that you DO NOT enable phantom with these microphones, unless you have a need for a $200. paper weight...also, tube microphones that come with dedicated power supplies should not be used with phantom...it's unlikely they would be damaged by enabling phantom, but the presence of an audible hum is not uncommon when both power sources are enabled...

I know the manufacturers say not to use phantom with them, but has anybody actually damaged one in that way? Even the cheap ribbons have a transformer on their output, and the phantom power, being DC, shouldn't be seen on the other side unless the manufacturer grossly miswired the mic.

At best, plugging in a mic while phantom power is active could produce a transient, which could cause damage, but if you let the phantom power discharge before plugging in or unplugging the mic, it really shouldn't hurt anything unless the mic was designed poorly.

Farview said:
The phantom power on my board had been on for 8 years. Plugging and unplugging mics is fine (you want to mute the channel)

Really?! :D Well, thanks for the correction, then!! I just prefer to err on the side of caution, even if I am just wasting time doing it! :p

dgatwood said:
I know the manufacturers say not to use phantom with them, but has anybody actually damaged one in that way? Even the cheap ribbons have a transformer on their output, and the phantom power, being DC, shouldn't be seen on the other side unless the manufacturer grossly miswired the mic.

...quoted from the Nady brochure for the RSM-2 Ribbon Mic:

"Never intentionally or accidentally apply any phantom power from your mixer or phantom power supply to your RSM-2 as it can burn up the ribbon. Please always check carefully before connecting your ribbon mic that there is no phantom power being provided to the RSM-2.
Note: damaged ribbons are not covered by warranty and there will be a charge to replace the element."

...so, if you have a ribbon mic, or are planning to get one, please let us know what happens when YOU apply phantom power...that way we will have a reference for the rest of us who chose to follow the manufacturer's instructions...until then, I second the "err on the side of caution" remark...

kidvybes said:
...quoted from the Nady brochure for the RSM-2 Ribbon Mic:

"Never intentionally or accidentally apply any phantom power from your mixer or phantom power supply to your RSM-2 as it can burn up the ribbon. Please always check carefully before connecting your ribbon mic that there is no phantom power being provided to the RSM-2.
Note: damaged ribbons are not covered by warranty and there will be a charge to replace the element."

...so, if you have a ribbon mic, or are planning to get one, please let us know what happens when YOU apply phantom power...that way we will have a reference for the rest of us who chose to follow the manufacturer's instructions...until then, I second the "err on the side of caution" remark...

Yeah, I have that mic and I haven't ever applied phantom to it for that reason. I was just wondering if anyone had done so, and what the results were. I wouldn't expect any problems (assuming you don't plug in the mic while phantom is turned on), but I'm not about to try it to find out (at least not without disassembling it to see how they wired the thing first...).

Altaire said:
why would you be trying to apply phantom power to a mic that doesnt need it anyway?

Usually it's more a matter of unintentionally doing it than trying to. It's easy to forget to disable it. When it would happen intentionally is when you have a global phantom power switch on a mixer, and are mixing mic types.

-RD

Altaire said:
why would you be trying to apply phantom power to a mic that doesnt need it anyway?
i use a mixer with two preamps and one phantom power switch, if i use a condensor and a dynamic then i need to give phantom power to both.

hey farview do u mean ur phantom power hasnt been off for 8 years? why? haha i also thought that plugging in when phantom power was already on was a no no.

mick8569 said:
hey farview do u mean ur phantom power hasnt been off for 8 years? why?
The phantom power on all channels of my board have been on since 1997. It is a pain in the ass to switch it on and off inside the Argosy housing.

Altaire said:

i run everything through the pre-amps in my mixer and it only has 1 phantom power switch (for everything), and since a couple of mics and sometimes my DI box use it, i usually have it turned on for recording.

thanks for all the replies so far

Back