Are people still reading the "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate" thread?

Has the "big" mic thread run its course?

• What big thread? (I didn't know it existed)

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • It's getting a little old. (I know all this stuff.)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • I just found out about it. Pretty cool.

Votes: 43 19.4%
  • I'm a faithful follower to the bitter end.

Votes: 148 66.7%

• Total voters

Harvey Gerst

Are people still reading the "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate" thread?

Are people still reading and getting anything worthwhile from the "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?" thread?

I ask that because I see a lot of questions still being asked here that are covered in that thread. I know it's almost book size, but there's a lot of good stuff there, in "easy to read" formats. And it's free.

But maybe it's just gotten too big to be useful anymore. I'm still gonna finish it up, but this last section will be as big as the other sections that went before it. I hope the first entry of the last section has piqued everybody's interest but if it's getting boring, we can quit now and still look at it as having done some good.

Comments?

hey, when you get done with it, i will make your 10 or so big chunks into an html directory and maybe we can host it on the "studio construction site" that some people set up on angelfire. That way we can send newbies (i'm still really a recording newbie, but i know some stuff :)) to the site there for specific questions, and we will all be able to go there for quick refreshers. Sound good?

That's fine with me, as long as we can include the links to some of the reference material (like the resonance patterns, etc.). And making sure that each contributor is properly credited.

I'm taggin' along Harvey.
I've been reading your 'journal' off and on most of the day. So much good information.
I'm sure the other will reply, it's the weekend and they probably have things to do. I hope you continue.

Kristian, don't forget to post the link to that studio construction site when your ready. I'm finding my room here a bit cramped now and was concidering making a room in the shop.
Oh, yeah!
I use to operate heavy equipment, possably I could level off the site pad at Angelfire for ya. :D

I think its great and plan to re-read it pretty soon, and print it when its finished.
My idea, when it got about half the size it is now, was to ask the moderator or Dragon to go through and delete all the useless banter, like "great thread Harv" and "damn, my eyeballs hurt" and posts like that. Leave the good questions in, and leave all the good info, just delete the useless shit. Anyone agree? Theres at least 1 whole page of stuff I DONT want to print out, probably 2 or 3.
A few people should ask Dragon or whoever moderates this forum to do this. I will, too.

Harvey,

I've been with the thread since day one and will follow it to the end. It is honestly difficult to say how great is is that you put yourself to the trouble of doing this.

Tubedude,

On the last page of the thread OPunWide has said that he has done something like this and given a link where to find it.

I haven't checked it out myself yet but it is there.

Peace..........ChrisO :cool:

There's no doubt about it, I'm a faithful follower to the bitter end.

I just started college this last week (and I work and do homework on the weekends) so although I may not be posting right away I'm still a faithful follower of that massive thread. :D

I checked out Opunwide's site and it has Harvey's posts but not the questions before it.

I have been keeping a word document of all the good stuff from the get-go (which is 49 pages right now btw :eek: ) and have taken all the "uses banter" out. And now that I'm not using my Angelfire site for hosting my songs like I was going to (using Collaboration Central now) maybe I could put it up there, if anyone's interested.

-tkr

I'm always learning new things, and it never ceases to amaze me as to just how ignorant I am! Thanks again Harvey for your time and efforts in making this great thread!

- Wil

Yep

I just tuned into it the other day. Makes my head swim. After all of my 'recreating' in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, I've only got one brain cell left.

Good thing it is a big one.
:p

Thanks Harvey!

I'm in until the bitter end. I haven't been around the forum much lately because I've been busy playing and recording...and the quality of the recordings is mainly due to what I learned in that thread. If I wasn't such a cyber idiot I'd know how to post a link to some of it, but until then......

Threads like that are funny - you learn so much in such a short time that you almost have to stop and spend a lot of time experimenting with each new idea to find out if it really has any value for what you're trying to do. I'm guessing it will take many years before I even get to try half of the micing ideas from that thread. But in the meantime, I can make some killer recordings with what I learned this year.

Thanks, Harvey.

I haven't found the time and courage to read all the thread but I've been planning to do so since it got there. Maybe it would be nice to put it all together in a nice pdf doc... I don't like to read on screen, like that I could print it out...

Part of the problem with doing a pdf "book" is dealing with the links this thread uses for examples. Those links (like the one to the DPA mic library, or the resonance examples) are crucial for understanding what comes next. Getting permission to use those examples could be a problem, and putting them here would dramatically increase the size of this thing, which really is approaching book size.

I agree that we can certainly eliminate all the "good work, Harvey" and the "how do I show a graphic here?" stuff which would cut it down a page or two. Can our fearless moderator do that here, so the thread is smaller, but it leaves a lot of the questions and answers, while eliminating all the ego stroking stuff? I still have about two pages worth of posts to go, dealing with mic specs.

The moderator for this forum can delete specific posts, yeah.

I left this thread to grow for a while and came back a couple months later, and things made way more sense this time through. I like the useful level of knowledge in it, and I like its comprehensiveness.

I try to keep up but my hectic schedule doesnt allow me to so I tend to read it ten replies at a time every few days.

I do get what you are saying though Ive seen stuff ive posted on six months ago still coming into my mailbox. I usually avoid them.

I just noticed that three people responded to the poll with "I already know all this stuff". Maybe one of them can finish up the mic specs section, and I can take a break from this stuff. :)

Seriously, if one of you three "really understand" how frequency response charts are made, all the different measurement methods, and how the curves can be manipulated, or the problem with interpreting polar response charts, or explaining the different sensitivity specs, or how mic pad and polar pattern switches really work, jump in.

I haven't had an intelligent thing to say through out the thread, but I've been printing much of it along with the "mini book" you posted. I tried getting some input on higher quality materials used with little response, so I guess this is it. Keep it comin'.

We've added a whole new section.

For those of you who aren't following the big thread, I wanted to let you know that I just added a large section on how microphone curves are created, and how to interpret those curves, complete with pictures even.

Back