Are people still reading the "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate" thread?

Has the "big" mic thread run its course?

• What big thread? (I didn't know it existed)

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • It's getting a little old. (I know all this stuff.)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • I just found out about it. Pretty cool.

Votes: 43 19.4%
  • I'm a faithful follower to the bitter end.

Votes: 148 66.7%

• Total voters
tubedude:
"Leave the good questions in, and leave all the good info, just delete the useless shit. Anyone agree? "

I've finally printed out what's there to date and am still in the process of highlighting the "good stuff" (plus I'll probably have to update that once I finish going through what I have so far). Once you finish up Harvey maybe Dragon could arrange for a specific section to post it all....if he didn't have to do all the editing?

Best info Iv'e ever read on the net.
I hope you continue forever Harvey,your the best!

I think someone should post a link to it on the welcome page under new,updated, and popular pages.
I know when I started here it would have been the perfect thread for a newbie.

Now that Iv'e been around for a while and am a "senior member", I'm positive I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Thanks again Harvey,
Pete

While the thread is way long, I think that it has to be. I was in on it close the beginning and (I must confess) took a few months off after about a month of hanging off the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment. :)

Over all, I think this is a pretty darned effective forum for passing on information like that. I figured I could check out and catch up later since whatever questions I might have would probably be answered already when I got back - and I didn't want to add any of my own chatter to the large thread.

If my the reactions of my friends have any thing to say about the matter.... "Whoa! How did you record that guitar again?! I can't believe that's only one guitar! Its so full!"...then I would say that it is still a usefull thread. ;)

Take care,
Chris

It's great reference material, and I refer to it often.
I've always been a "hard copy" kind of guy so I have a printed version with margin notes and tabs. :)

I want MORE!
Harvey you are a great teacher, and everything you will give to me I will read and try to learn as much as I possibly can..
Please keep up the good work, the thread has for me been an invaluable source of information.
Im in great debt to you...all your information has really helped alot.
thanks!
/Jonas H

I try to post as much as I can here, but questions come up in other forums and I try not to push other forums here, but I'll make an exception this one time. These are some of the other forums I hang out at:

http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

I have my own forum there, and we do a lot of similar microphone discussions. Here's one such question, and one of the responses it received:

Post subject: E.V. RE-20 / Sp C-1
Hello ,
We are curently using a SP C-1 and are thinking of adding a E.V. RE-20 as one has come available to us for a nice price, it would be used for studio only, Mostly Rock male vocal, would this mic give us a different color and what other differences could be expected? if its too close to the C-1 ill take a pass on it..Thank you.

Bostonfan2

This was one of the responses:

I also like the RE20 for voice over. It has served me well on some vocal sessions though!

The RE20 is always one of those mics you should have in your locker.

Gotta love it!!!

http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

I originally ran a forum there, but now I mainly hang out lurking on Stephen Paul's forum, or co-chairing a forum with Alan Hyatt, Brent Casey, and Malcolm Toft.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

Harmony Central has some good people answering questions there, and I'll post there from time to time on subjects where I feel I can help.

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I primarily hang out at George Massenburg's forum, and sometimes it's a fascinating glimpse into the world of high dollar studios, but it has its share of very useful information and occasional amazing insights from George himself.

http://gearslutz.com/board/index.php3?

Gearslutz is another good forum where I mainly just lurk.

In general, I find that any forum that has posts from Fletcher, Bob Olhsson, or Mixerman is worth while investigating.

And of course, rec.audio.pro is where you'll always find me. For a recording engineer (at any point in his career), it remains the single most valuable net resource in the world, IMHO.

The rec.audio.pro CD compilation sets are a great tool for beginning recordists. You can actually listen to a track from people like George Massenburg, while you read his notes on the mics used, placements, and reasons for his choices.

This year, the 5 disc rec.audio.pro CD compilation set has cuts from Karl Winkler (Neumann), Mixerman, Fletcher, and a host of r.a.p. regulars, about 100 contributors. The liner notes alone will run 70 plus pages. One of the great recording bargains of the century. Almost every genre of music is represented on those discs.

Anyway, those are the other places I either lurk at, or contribute to. All of them have some things I find of value.

Last edited:
bitter end

I voted "in till the bitter end," but that's not quite accurate; it just happened to be the most accurate option. I agree with, was it Tubedude, that culling out the "Harvey's God" and "wow, this is too long to read" and "bumpity-bump-bump" posts would be a great service. I for one had no idea it was still a "living thread"; I kept up for quite while and copy-pasted additional info into the Word doc I made off of one reader's HTML version of the thread without the tangetial posts.

So, I guess this thread HERE is a nice reminder that stuff is still happening on the "big" thread.

OK, Dragon, how about making a permanent link at the top of "Mic Forum" for this info, and giving Harvey or some moderator who's willing the limited admin abilities to be able to delete the "bump" etc. posts? Huh? Howaboudit?

Off to contact Dragon I go.

OK, I put a poll in "Feedback" forum. Maybe voting will help make this thread a permanent installation on this site:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?postid=603322#post603322

Last edited:
That post was what brought me to HRBBS - someone from VS-Planet pointed me there. I was impressed, bookmarked , visited regularly, finally asked a question of my own in there (about miking Leslies), you covered that...

...and I was sold. There is serious stuff happening at HRBBS, this is maybe some of the best dialog there is on the web. Not just the one thread, but the whole site. Lots of people here who know their trade, are willing to share, and have a passion. It's a great collaborative effort.

You're a great teacher, Harvey - I've referred lots of folks to that thread. It should be required reading for anyone who's doing this work.

If you've got something else that fits in there logically (did you cover contact mics? I disremember...), by all means, post it. Once you think it's complete, stop posting there. We trust your judgment. ;)

i love that thread-while i have certainly read a great many pages on fundamentals, it's a little bit different reading real-life gathered info from someone who is willing to lay out the real dirt on practical significance as opposed to book with basic ideas that sound great, but don't really help the average person trying to make good use of mics in the real world. kudos to you. i'm certainly onboard for the ride.

btw-how is your back doing? i may have simply been too drunk to remember a follow-up last time i perused that thread for updates, but i hope all is well. i had sciatica a couple of times last year-the first time, i nearly fell down, my legs got so weak. still have to be rather careful about how i treat my back, though i think my posture has improved a little bit by trying to work around the sensitive areas.

zer0sig said:
btw-how is your back doing? i may have simply been too drunk to remember a follow-up last time i perused that thread for updates, but i hope all is well. i had sciatica a couple of times last year-the first time, i nearly fell down, my legs got so weak. still have to be rather careful about how i treat my back, though i think my posture has improved a little bit by trying to work around the sensitive areas.
That's the only time it bothered me. Hasn't caused me any problems whatsoever since then.

Re: bitter end

geekgurl said:
...I agree with, was it Tubedude, that culling out the "Harvey's God" and "wow, this is too long to read" and "bumpity-bump-bump" posts would be a great service...
I had the same problem as I found the thread long after it was started. These bumps are not as annoying when you're following the thread in "real" time, though. I remedied it by just reading Harvey's post and ignoring the rest. He always quotes the questions before answering them, so in a way he's kind of culling it for you.

BTW, I voted "in till the bitter end," also.:)

(Thanks, Harvey!)

-Flatpicker

Re thread

Harvey, I've only recently discovered it and think it is great. Yes I'm reading it and studying it well.

When I first started out in my real trade an old timer told me to tag along with someone that was older and well seasoned and they will lead you the right way. He continured they will never be afraid to help because they will be many steps ahead of you. Well over 25 years at it and it worked well for me. You are becoming that guy with mics for me and along with everyone else we all appreciate you and your experience.

I only wish you had time to write a book or get someone to write it for you.

Part of the problem with doing a pdf "book" is dealing with the links this thread uses for examples. Those links (like the one to the DPA mic library, or the resonance examples) are crucial for understanding what comes next

well, in edited ver. that i did few months ago, i attached pictures from links in pdf and doc file.

http://www.kset.org/music/pub/ChatWithHarvey.pdf
http://www.kset.org/music/pub/ChatWithHarvey.doc

My idea, when it got about half the size it is now, was to ask the moderator or Dragon to go through and delete all the useless banter, like "great thread Harv" and "damn, my eyeballs hurt" and posts like that. Leave the good questions in, and leave all the good info, just delete the useless shit. Anyone agree?

i did that too...
if anyone wants to put some other version i can host that on http://www.kset.org/music/pub

Last edited:
Harvey Gerst said:
I just noticed that three people responded to the poll with "I already know all this stuff". Maybe one of them can finish up the mic specs section, and I can take a break from this stuff. :)

Seriously, if one of you three "really understand" how frequency response charts are made, all the different measurement methods, and how the curves can be manipulated, or the problem with interpreting polar response charts, or explaining the different sensitivity specs, or how mic pad and polar pattern switches really work, jump in.

Boy I'm sure glad my vote was "I'm a faithful follower to the bitter end" but, I think it should say "for the better end". :)

I printed the whole thing! took the last two evenings and a whole bunch of paper!!

I keep 3-ring binders with information that i find useful for future reference.....

This has it's own binder!!

it was like reading a transcript from a class...questions and replies etc. and you felt you were there..

BEST THREAD ANYWHERE ON ANY SUBJECT AWARD WINNER

Finally completed reading the entire thread 'bout 2 weeks ago which have led me to several questions I'll post later!

Jeez, I started reading this thread and it wasn't until I got to the part where Harvey said he hangs out in Stephen Paul's forum that I looked at the dates.
And I thought you were going to make some more additions to it, Harvey! :D

I guess this popped up because it's a poll and somebody found it and voted.

I think the thread is just as pertinent now as it ever has been, and should never disappear from here, nor be edited either. It's a piece of history. I refer back to it often.

Me too....Until halfway through, I thought it was new!

Hey, whatever happened to stripping that down, and hosting it somewhere? If anyone is still interested, maybe we could get that going. I would be willing to host it. It was extremely helpful to me.

In fact, I just want to say thanks to Harvey (along with several others here) for all the help they have given me. The wealth of knowledge he has shared is incredible. Took me from a complete Newbie, all the way up to a Rookie in no time (not that big of a jump, but hey, they didn't have much to work with ...LOL)

NL5

Back