PC - Poor quality recording with Blue Yeti microphone

ChickenFeet

Hi.

I have a problem with my setup when I do recordings. I own a Blue Yeti microphone which sounds great when my headphones are directly plugged into them, but when I plug my headphones into my PC and listen it sounds really bland. The same goes for recording with Audacity. Currently I am using on board sound with a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, will buying a sound card fix this issue? Also I am using USB 3 for the microphone.

Why is this happening?

My theories are either
the sound quality is lost when transmitting from mic to my PC or;
the sound quality isn't lost but when played through my PC it sounds crap because I haven't got a sound card.

I want to do some recordings of vocals and acoustic instruments so the sound quality must be as good as I can achieve. If the quality of the recordings are as good as the quality outputted by the headphone amplifier on the Blue Yeti than I will be very happy.

Thanks All.

Actually I'm not sure soundcard would be the issue, because recordings of a blueyeti from youtube sound better than my own recordings...

Is my BlueYeti faulty? :(

Anyway to send the signal through the jack to my PC since the jack sounds very nice.

The quality problem on playback could indeed be your OEM soundcard, but unless you try out an audio interface or PCI card built for audio recording use, no way to tell.
Note that you have somewhat limited yourself by getting a USB mic. If you get a USB audio interface, you would need to select the Blue Yeti as your USB audio input device and the AI as the USB audio output device.

The quality problem on playback could indeed be your OEM soundcard, but unless you try out an audio interface or PCI card built for audio recording use, no way to tell.
Note that you have somewhat limited yourself by getting a USB mic. If you get a USB audio interface, you would need to select the Blue Yeti as your USB audio input device and the AI as the USB audio output device.

Blue Yeti has a headphone out, could run speakers out of that. Probably would be better than OEM sound. Just a thought and worth a try.

Following up on what was said, plug your headphones into the Blue Yeti and select the Yeti as the output device in Audacity, then give your recordings a listen.

Back