Overhead mics

Like John says..But right now I'm likeing the KSM44's..But for less expensive you can't beat the Oktava's..I tried them and they were really very cool..Good luck

Don

i'm using a pair of 603's as well for overheards. they do an ok job. my room's not great, and some of the "cheaper" cymbals i have come across as harsh due to the freq bump the 603's have in the high end. their pattern is a little wide for my tastes, too.

i need to get a pair of mc-012's or a second B1, b/c i'd really like to give them a try.

although, i have to admit that since i got a new ride cymbal (K custom dark), i've liked the sound of the 603's more--they're a good contrast to the darker K. i've been replacing most of my cymbals with A's and K's for several years now, when the funds and stars align.

wade

Yeah, I was a little afraid of the reputed high-end bump of the 603's, but haven't run into any problems whatsoever with them; in fact, I find myself boosting a bit in the 12k range.

I think it depends on a few things:

1) are you recording to digital or analog? On analog tape, those highs that are a little sizzly sort of seem to smooth over.

2)and most importantly-the sound of the particular cymbals. Most of the drummers I work with are ROCK guys, and use darkish Zildjans.

Chris

My current favorites are...

SDC...
Josephson C42's
AKG C451's

LDC...
Shure KSM44's
Neumann U87's

And sometimes there are others I also use. :)

What about Rode NT-5s? I am kinda looking for some decent overhead mics and I thought of these. Come as a matched pair...

I had a pair of NT5's...had to sell in a divorce.

I liked them quite a bit; but honestly don't feel they're worth any more than the 603's. I didn't have both at the same time, but I don't find that I'm missing anything I'm wanting to hear. They were a tad darker...

Chris

Back