Thread: output of the AKG 414

Thanks

Talking output of the AKG 414

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok, since i bought this mic over half a year ago i could only say good things about it. and today i can another good thing about it. I have a matched pair of Crown CM700 small diaphragm condensors which i would always use with vox acoustic guitar over etc.. And today for the FIRST time ( i dont know why i didnt do it sooner) i tried to mic my acoustic with both the AKG 414 and CM700, and to my surprise, the AKG DESTROYED... i mean killed the CM700. Where the CM700 sounds GOOD on acoustic, it just doesnt match the AKG 414. And one thing that i also liked? I had the mic pre on my mackie 1604vlz 1.5 times higher for the crown, but it still couldn't send out as loud as the AKG.

Viva la 414!

Thanks

Thumbs up

The 414 is a classic large condenser mic for acoustic and my fav.

Don't know if you've tried this, but give it a spin. Position the 414 behind the bridge and out from the guitar at a 45-degree angle pointing towards the bridge. Put the mic as close as you can to the guitar without it being in the way of your playing.

That'll get a great sound. You can even experiment w/ greater distance along the 45-degree angle.

If you want to try 2 mics, add in the CM700 in pointing at the 12th fret about 9" away from the neck.

Keep the 3:1 rule in mind to avoid phasing.

Thread Information