One amp for SM58 microphone ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 200347

Hello,

I own an SM58 with a 2i2 and I would like to take a pre-amp for Christmas in order to be able to increase something in my own way (including my voice) and decrease the ambient sounds (at least a little bit). With this microphone, I have to talk really close and I recorded myself and I breathed through my nose a little louder and we can hear really well! I wish I didn't have this problem anymore and after some video I saw, it's possible! So as you can see, I want an amp with adjustment and not just a cloudlifter, for example.
I have this in mind, but if you have any suggestions, I'm a taker! :
Behringer XENYX 502 Table de mixage Egaliseur bi-bande 2 Entrees micro 550 g: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique
Yamaha - MG12 - Table de Mixage Analogique - Noir: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique
Presonus Bluetube DP V2 – Thomann France
DBX - 286S Processeur 286S: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

I don't know if this could solve the problem of small noises. (such as breathing or other) :
Good01 epaississant Micro Housse Eponge en mousse Ball-type Mic pare-brise 5 couleurs, noir, Taille unique: Amazon.fr: Cuisine & Maison

The GAIN control on the 2i2 should be all you need in order to achieve the optimum recording level for the SM58, and more [or less] gain via another preamp isn't going to change how the microphone "hears" your voice and all other sounds reaching its diaphragm.

It's possible you may simply be speaking or singing a bit too softly for the kind of performance you are trying to record, or not practicing good microphone technique. You need to learn to project your voice a bit, and then make a minor turn/move away from the mic when you take those big inhales.

When you record, what is the average and peak amplitude (dB) of the resulting WAV file? Are you using any effects, like a compressor? Can you post a link to a sample, raw file you've recorded?

and more [or less] gain via another preamp isn't going to change how the microphone "hears" your voice and all other sounds reaching its diaphragm.

This is covered a lot in the previous thread.
No preamp is going to reduce background noise, unless that background noise is hiss generated by a low quality preamp.

You either need to
exercise some microphone control (moving/turning away for breaths/coughs etc)
Rig up a push-to-talk button
or
use a noise gate.

Really, though, speaking at a normal level with the mic a few inches away, I don't think breathing normally should pose a problem.

Certainly the mixers you have listed (Behr & Yamaha) are not going to do any more than add an EQ in the input chain.
If you're picking up room (ambient) noises, then you've got the gain on the 2i2 cranked too high, specially with that mic.

in all my gear for a channel strip I tired, in hindsight, I think the Symetrix 528-E was the lowest price used $80 and performed the Best.
...(now they are usually $250 used and obsolete ) it was clean and no personality really , but the noise gate/expander,compressor, gain, and build was frkn awesome, a solid piece of gear. similar to the DBX 286 voice channel concept.
i forget why I sold it , probably GAS for something else.

we need to hear the problem you have. Many of us suspect your problem is not a gain issue - but we can't be certain. It's rare to find a preamp in anything that doesn't do a decent job with a 58 used how they're designed to be used.

My expectation is that the gain has been set too high, and the OP is (maybe consequently) singing too low. Thus vocal level relative to ambient noise is low.

When I listen to some people, their sound is much clearer and more "deep" (I don't speak of the voice in general, I wouldn't describe it). That's also why I want to take an amp/compressor. For breathing, it was just a test, because I know that many people have this problem about hearing breathing. So I did a test by breathing normally through my nose, and we can hear very clearly that I put the microphone close or a little far away. So maybe I did indeed set the gain too high, but if I lower the gain, people hear me much less. I'm really looking for an amp/compressor to be able to change the sound of the voice so it's much clearer!
So maybe I was talking about a compressor, but usually an amp, also has a compressor. But if a compressor has one amp, I might as well take this, at least I'm safe.
For example : YouTube

A compressor will do the exact opposite of what you want.

I think we need to hear clips of your voice, and the problems you're having.
I think either you're breathing very loud, or speaking very quiet. ;)

No on the contrary, I really don't breathe hard, I just breathed harder than usual during a recording to see if we could hear. I put my microphone may be too close, limit I touch it with my lips. I am heard and I get along very well, but what I mean is that I would like it to be clearer. When I compare the sound of my microphone to another person who has this kind of microphone, their microphones are much clearer. When I say amp, I probably mean a compressor! But anyway, the compressors I mentioned, take an amp (gain) with them, so it could be useful to me one day. (For example, the DBX that makes compressor + gain
:)

Honestly, you're probably looking for an eq.
I mean, a 58 straight up should be fine for streaming, but I can see the need/want to roll off the bass or boost highs slightly.

Preamps and compressors are not solutions. You're shopping for hammers and screwdrivers when you want to dig a hole. ;)

A compressor, so you know, is literally designed to make your problem worse. It makes loud sounds quieter so that quiet sounds can be heard.
In the context of voice work a compressor can be useful, when used for the right reasons, but if lip smacks/breaths/background noise are a problem, the first suggestion would be to remove all compression.

Last edited:
All right, okay! And to remove the compression, how do I do it?
And so what I proposed would be nice, wouldn't it? There's a compressor, amp ect. There's everything!
I listened carefully to your message about the compressor but what I mean is that if there's everything, you might as well take this but what!

Thanks dude!

It would be really useful for yo to post a sound clip. That would give us a chance to hear better what the problem is.

I have absolutely no problem when I record myself, the sound is fine! I just don't understand why a lot of people use compressors and I can't? According to the booth junkie video on the DBX and from what I understand, he can make his voice much clearer than it already is and remove a lot of things.
In short, I must probably express myself badly or my translator may modify some words.
Good-bye, thanks

YouTube

[MENTION=200347]Twiky[/MENTION], you can use whatever effects or additional hardware you want. But if you want practical advice on how to improve your “fine” recordings, you will have to post some examples of what you have done.

[MENTION=200347]Twiky[/MENTION], you can use whatever effects or additional hardware you want. But if you want practical advice on how to improve your “fine” recordings, you will have to post some examples of what you have done.

Absolutely. Throwing things at an issue without knowing the issue is like pissing in the wind...

Post a sample please. :)

I don't think Twiky was prepared to let anyone hear his recordings. Or maybe was not prepared to have anyone question his wish to use a compressor.

Hence his "Good-bye, thanks"

Back