Oktava MKL2500 Tube mic

MarkoPolo

Just wondering if anyone has used this mic and if they did whats
the verdict on it, there being sold at guitar center for $199 along with the Oktava ribbon mic.

I got that deal a few weeks ago. Nice mic for the money. IMHO--It’s got more highs than my AKG C4000B, but not as full lows. The highs aren’t as harsh or edgy as either my Shure Beta87a or my AKG C3000. The highs on the Oktava are not, however, without some edge to them. Getting ready to A-B it with my MXL 2003...I’ll try to get back and let you know. As far as comparisons with my SM57 as well as numerous other workhorse dynamics, well...apples and oranges...

I’ve also heard that Oktava’s quality control has not been so great in the past.

The Oktava or the AKG C4000b would be my choice (give the choices above) for acoustic guitar, depending on whether I was going for a brighter or darker sound (respectively).

The Oktava will also be my choice for my dark male voice.

What is up with the power cord from the mic to the power supply? It’s only about 6 ft long!! What were they thinking?? The cord doesn’t reach the length of the mic stand that I’ve got the thing on. The salesguy at Guitar Shed is telling me that he’s in process of trying to contact their Oktava distributor to see if longer power cords are available. He’s saying that he’s having trouble finding someone who speaks english...I think he’s just blowing me off...

Anyone have any insights into constructing or splicing into one of these cables? They have a 6 hole (female) connector on the microphone end, and a 7 hole (female) connector on the power supply end. This might be getting a little OT, but any insights here would be appreciated.

Tom

Thom IV said:
What is up with the power cord from the mic to the power supply? It’s only about 6 ft long!! What were they thinking?? The cord doesn’t reach the length of the mic stand that I’ve got the thing on.
Insane! That, right there, is enough for me to not buy this thing. What a joke!

i have the new guitar center paper too.. i saw that about 30 minutes ago.. i was thinking about picking one up.. but their quality control has me rethinking it.. its only 200.....
to who has used this mic, how is it for vox????

MarkoPolo said:
Just wondering if anyone has used this mic and if they did whats
the verdict on it, there being sold at guitar center for $199 along with the Oktava ribbon mic.

I got one on Friday. I have used it all weekend. Fantastic mic. I love the sound. This mic is smooth on the bottom end and silky upstairs. I only tried it on Vocals and Acoustic Guitar so far. It is definately $200 well spent. I got it and it is my last Oktava as I have (2) MK-319s, (1) ML-52 Ribbon, (2) MK-012 and (1) MKL-2500. These mics are all great and a real bargain. I think that GC is going to drop the whole Oktava line soon. Musicians Friend has NO listings of Oktava AT ALL. So, I would rather have the mics now at a blowout price then to wait and lose out.

Re: Re: Oktava MKL2500 Tube mic

acorec said:
...I got it and it is my last Oktava as I have (2) MK-319s, (1) ML-52 Ribbon, (2) MK-012 and (1) MKL-2500. These mics are all great and a real bargain...
acorec,
Of the ML-52, MKL-2500, and 319, which would be your favorite if you were primarily recording acoustic instruments and vocals?

Re: Re: Re: Oktava MKL2500 Tube mic

Flatpicker said:
acorec,
Of the ML-52, MKL-2500, and 319, which would be your favorite if you were primarily recording acoustic instruments and vocals?

I love the ML-52 on acoustic. I only tried the MKL2500 for a couple of takes. But, they are really close. I have to say, right now, that the ML-52 is excellent if you have a really good high-gain mic pre amp that is very clean. Otherwise, I would use the MKL2500 (like on a DMP3 or a board pre). I have just not had enough time on the MKL2500 because the tube is not broken in. It does seem to get better sounding as the tube gets more hours on it. It is a smooth mic and only time will tell how it will end up sounding. The 319 is another beast altogether. I like it on my vocals because it is a dark sounding mic. I sound like Phil Collins. My voice is "transparent" and the 319 fills it in nicely. My main mic is between these three and a Neuman TLM103. Depends on the track and the song.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oktava MKL2500 Tube mic

acorec said:
I love the ML-52 on acoustic...I have to say, right now, that the ML-52 is excellent...
Rats!
Now I have to come up with $200 by the end of the month. :mad:

I have the ml-52 and the 2500. They both are amazing for 2 bills. The 2500 is sooooOOOOO Freaking smooth gritty or what ever you want it to be. Vocals sound killer ! Sax sounds great on it as well.

Man, I looked at both of these at GC today. A ribbon and atube mic for $400. That's less than an NTK. If you had your pick, would you rather have one NTK or one each of these?

Burb, I think I feel some GAS coming on.

Thanks, Terry

Back