Oktava mkl2500

go fuck your self

Hey listen dumbass, i wish i was you with nothing better to do than try to tell me your piece of shit mic is better than my piece of shit mic. For all your dumbass knows im working on a project and i WANT or even NEED to know about MODIFICATIONS not hear about your cheap ass equipment. If i wanted your jokes id listen to your songwriting. Only helpful info please.

planetorange said:
Hey listen dumbass, i wish i was you with nothing better to do than try to tell me your piece of shit mic is better than my piece of shit mic. For all your dumbass knows im working on a project and i WANT or even NEED to know about MODIFICATIONS not hear about your cheap ass equipment. If i wanted your jokes id listen to your songwriting. Only helpful info please.

Now everyone will want to help you!

sick of this

Im getting sick of all the dumbshits that are on these forums. I have tried a million times on forums to get actual technical help and no one ever knows how to do anything. The only thing people know is that THEIR chinese junk is better than other peoples chinese junk. Im done getting help here because most people (MOST) are not even musicians worth anything and basically they just want alot of equipment to talk about or show off. If everyones mics are so great, than how come everyones home recordings sound like ass? And please dont tell me about "musical taste".

see ya......................................................................................

Go call Ted and Christian over at Mystery Records, I think you are just what they are looking for.

Last edited:
planetorange said:

...really just an honest evaluation...I tried an Oktava tube mic and quickly returned it and went back to using the 2 MXL mics (I already had) that cost about the same (before GC started dumping them for $99.)...upgrading the tubes on the MXLs improved the sonic characteristics (toned down the hyped top-end and smoothed out the bottom-end)...you might try uprgading the tube in the Oktava as well...frankly I found the 2500 very dull and one-dimensional, but the dramatic inconsistancy in QC with the Oktava product may have just dealt me a bum mic...this other thread has some track samples that seem to display similar characteristics (most prominantly on vocals)...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=168195

...in a nutshell, you're correct..."my piece of shit mic is better than your piece of shit mic"...

Last edited:
planetorange said:

hahahahahaha

love ya ;)

sorry i can't help except to say that i don't like the mxl tube mic's very well
(with the noteable exception of the 77)

it's all just opinions

(but note, the mic has like 1 vocal detractor, not 5 or ten)

planetorange said:
Im getting sick of all the dumbshits that are on these forums. I have tried a million times on forums to get actual technical help and no one ever knows how to do anything. The only thing people know is that THEIR chinese junk is better than other peoples chinese junk. Im done getting help here because most people (MOST) are not even musicians worth anything and basically they just want alot of equipment to talk about or show off. If everyones mics are so great, than how come everyones home recordings sound like ass? And please dont tell me about "musical taste".

lots of people do help here, just not him.

philgood is the shiznit for help on things like this around here, but i don't think he owns this mic :(

giraffe said:
sorry i can't help except to say that i don't like the mxl tube mic's very well
(with the noteable exception of the 77)

it's all just opinions

(but note, the mic has like 1 vocal detractor, not 5 or ten)

Actually, it was the V77 I recommended in my first response...but the V69 gets some pretty good support from this site's followers (including Harvey Gerst)...I have had 8-10 tube mics, ranging from the MXL's, through the Rodes, ADKs and Cascades (SE), and including the Royer MA200...all except the Royer have had tube upgrades, some have had caps upgraded as well...it's not that there's any real issues with the Oktava other than it being rather dull sounding...at $99. it's a very usable mic...

giraffe said:
lots of people do help here, just not him.

...feel free to read my past postings, as I have helped many on this site as well as receiving much appreciated help myself...your comment is inaccurate...my initial comment was a combination of humor and practical advice...sorry if the thread's poster didn't appreciate the humor...now if Chessrock had said it...

Last edited:
One fairly easy upgrade is to replace all the electrolytic caps in the mic with polypropylene or polystyrene caps... they're much closer in tolerance, won't drift in value due to temperature changes or age, and will help open up the top end. While you've got the mic apart, check the solder joints too.

Carefully removing the plastic cover from the front of the diaphragm might help improve the overall balance, at the expense of making it more susceptable to wind blasts.

As I mentioned earlier, the power supply that I got with my MKL-2500 was really well made. ;)

kid klash said:
One fairly easy upgrade is to replace all the electrolytic caps in the mic with polypropylene or polystyrene caps...

Without knowing this circuit at all, some of the electros might not be in the audio path, and some might be too large a value to swap for polys (which are much larger for a given value). If there's a too-big electro in a critical spot, replace it with a better quality electro & bypass with a small-value poly.

mshilarious said:
Without knowing this circuit at all, some of the electros might not be in the audio path, and some might be too large a value to swap for polys (which are much larger for a given value). If there's a too-big electro in a critical spot, replace it with a better quality electro & bypass with a small-value poly.

Absolutely right, also in a tube mic, some of those electro's might have high voltage ratings, and you don't want to swap them out with low voltage poly's. The cap that's going to make the biggest difference is the one connecting the capsule to the rest of the amplifications circuit. Swap that out for a polystyrene. The HF disc removal is also recommended.

EDIT: Now that I'm writing this I realized you asked about the MKL-2500 not the MK319, I'm not sure if the 2500 has the HF disc

kid klash said:
One fairly easy upgrade is to replace all the electrolytic caps in the mic with polypropylene or polystyrene caps... they're much closer in tolerance, won't drift in value due to temperature changes or age, and will help open up the top end. While you've got the mic apart, check the solder joints too.

This is quite a common upgrade, however it won't work with this Oktava, 'cause there is no small value signal electrolytic here. The schematics (unless they changed it) is a cathode follower with a choke loading, meaning that the tranformer primary is directly connected to the cathode, with no blocking cap.

The transformer is a low turn ratio and most likely gapped, to allow some DC through it in this kind of connection. To my knowledge, there are no commercially available gapped transformers of this size at this point.

Overall, it is an interesting design.

Carefully removing the plastic cover from the front of the diaphragm might help improve the overall balance, at the expense of making it more susceptable to wind blasts.

This cover mostly works as a resonator to increase the HF output. The downside is that it greatly affects capsule's resolution.

FWIW, the Western equialents of the Russian tube 6Ж1П used in the mic are EF95 and 6AK5.

Now that's what we're talking about!

Great upgrade input, mshilarious, reshp1 and Marik. I think this is exactly what planetorange was looking for, including the tube equivalents. ;)

Thanks Marik! I just got this mic and was going to use it stock for a while before opening it up. Now I may not have to.

BTW, Marik is the shiznit on this stuff. I get a great deal from him. kidvybes knows tube mics dang well and mshilarious is plain brilliant.

I'm just a hack!

Though I have to admit my homemade ELAM 250 kicks booty!!!!

planetorange said:

Damn.. you should calm down a bit, eh?

PhilGood said:
BTW, Marik is the shiznit on this stuff. I get a great deal from him. kidvybes knows tube mics dang well and mshilarious is plain brilliant.

No, I am also a hack ;) I'm starting to want one of these mics just so I can mod it though. All my mics are all weensy little surface mount components :(

Back