NT1 vs. MXL2001+603

battleminnow

What's this button do?
I bought my NT1 when it was in fashion about a yeay and a half ago. With all the talk of the Marshall mics and their cheap prices, I am thinking of selling the NT1 and picking up a 2001/603s combo pack at SamAsh for $140. Here's what I got so far...

Korg D1600 w/cdrw
Rode NT1
SM58
SM57
AT Pro25
M Audio Audio Buddy
DBX 266XL
Pr. of ECM8000's
Yamaha RM804 Mixer (there's actually a pic in the Musician's
Guide to Home Recording book of this old mixer!!)

I use the equipment to mic vocals and ac. guitar, drums, light cabinet micing for elec. guitar, and other equipment for basic band/album stuff. Would this be an upgrade from the NT1? I am a firm believer in adding to the mic locker rather than replacing, but I could sell the NT1 and get TWO mics :)

Thanks,
Pete

My opinion: DON"T replace the NT-1 with the 2001, just save about $70 bones and buy a 603s if you want one of those.

The NT1 and the 2001 are actually VERY SIMILAR microphones. They will likely sound exactly the same. Cheap, shrilly, and harsh.

The 603, on the other hand is very nice. Much nicer, in fact, than the NT1 and 2001 put together, so I personally don't see anything wrong with trading one shrilly-sounding mic for another shrilly-sounding mic plus one really good one.

I must respectfully disagree with chessrock on the NT-1 / MXL 2001 comparison. They are similar birds indeed, however, the NT-1 has gotten far better reviews than the 2001. I'm basing my opinion strictly on reviews here, as I do not, nor do I intend to own a 2001. I do, on the other hand, own an NT-1 and a pair of 603s.' Comparing the NT-1 and the 603s is sort of an apples and oranges thing. They're different things for different applications.

I have the SD condensers in the ECM8000's, but a nice would would be good to have. I understand the review points Jim, thanks. Thanks also to Chessrock for posting. I really am leaning towards getting rid of the NT1 for something better or similar, and the combo of the 2001 plus the great 603 appeals to me. Taking the great reviews into consideration, how does the NT1 stack up to the MXL V67, and is that a worthwhile tradeoff/tradeup? The NT1 just doesn't seem to suit my voice, and is a bit shrill on acoustic guitar, as chess said.

Pete

So many choices . . .

At the time the NT1 came out, people were all ga-ga over the fact that they could even get a usable large diaphragm condenser for less than like $500. So people were much more forgiving of it's harshness, saying nicer things like: "Be careful with sibilances."

At the time of the Marshall 2001 reviews, there were already a great many more higher-quality mics out in an affordable price range, so the bar had been raised by then. If the NT1 were to be released today, the reviews would be much different.

Still, you can do much better than the 2001. You could probably sell the NT1 on ebay for $150, and pick up either a Marshall V67 or the 2003. Either one will be a step up in sound. If you're still intrigued by the 2003/603 deal, then just get yourself a 603 for like $70, and pick up a Behringer B1 or a Studio Projects B1 for $100. It'll be pretty close to the same deal, but a better mic.

Yeah, I am definately curious to see how the SP B1 will stack up to it's stats. And yes, I did buy the NT1 when it hit the fan, if you know what I mean. I do plan on selling it on ebay as well. Thanks for the advice.

Pete

i wouldn't sell the nt1. it's a nice mic through a compatible pre. and, the audio buddy is compatible enough of a pre.

if you sell it, then get something like an studio projects c1. it is not really a better mic but more people would find it sonically pleasing.

Battle
Don't sell the NT1!
It is still a useful tool in your mic locker.Pick up a Marshall V67M at Mars for $129.Where the NT1 has a bright top end,the V67 has a gorgeous lower-mid warmth well suited to male vox.I have both mics.Different mics complement each other like different colors on an artist's palette.Aside from using matched pairs as drum overheads or other stereo applications,you want a variety of tones to flatter different voices in different ways.If you are leaning Studio Projects,get the C1 over the B1.I won't even mention the RNM...
Tom

Tom Hicks said:
Battle
Don't sell the NT1!
It is still a useful tool in your mic locker.Pick up a Marshall V67M at Mars for $129.Where the NT1 has a bright top end,the V67 has a gorgeous lower-mid warmth well suited to male vox.I have both mics.Different mics complement each other like different colors on an artist's palette.Aside from using matched pairs as drum overheads or other stereo applications,you want a variety of tones to flatter different voices in different ways.If you are leaning Studio Projects,get the C1 over the B1.I won't even mention the RNM...
Tom

Say it!!! Say it...

Chess, your point is well taken - yet, I was aware of the timing of the reviews. I just didn't want to justify my recommendation with "word of mouth" info. I still feel the NT-1 is "probably" the better mic based on info from those who have used both. Yes, indeed, the NT-1 has a high-end hype - as do most of the low cost large condensers, but I still wouldn't trade my NT-1 for the combo - just my opinion. The V67 seems to be proven here, so that's a good idea. The initial Q was whether or not to trade for the combo though - I simply wouldn't do it. I'd stay with the evil I know rather than the one I don't. :D

I guess it's that whole "I-just-got-some-new-stuff-now-lets-get-more" ideology!!:D :D

I appreciate the replies. Maybe I will keep the NT1. Jim, thanks for being patient:cool:

Oz and Tom, thanks for shedding some relative experience on the situation.

Pete

I am a dissatisfied owner of a Marshall 2001p.I bought this mic a couple years ago when they first hit the streets based on glowing reviews in Recording mag (don't ever believe the reviews in most popular mags).At the time the hype was a "real" LD condensor that sold for less than $200.

There are much better choices available now days for even less money than I paid for the 2001p,the difference is many of the other choices are actually usable.The mic I'm waiting for is the Studio Projects B-3,a LD with switchable patterns for $150 sounds right up my alley.

I think you would be better off either buying a pair of 603's for a little more money or buying a single LD (like the MXLV67).I think you should keep the Rode,if the only way to get new mics is by selling it you might be better off just standing pat until you can save up the cash.By then the Studio Projects B series should be out!(BTW,I'm going to try the mod on the 2001p.The way I look at it I've got nothing to lose.It really is a POS)

I have both the NT1 and the v67g. The v67 is waaaayyy better.

I agree, for the most part with keeping the NT1 for a different flavor or use in a pinch... (although, if I have to sell any mic it will probably be the first.)

If you get the v67 w/o the mount for 129 and the 603 for 49 (not impossible...) you will be way further along.

I have never heard the 2001, but I have heard almost universally negative comments about it.

As they say, YMMV.

Back