NT1-A or SM7B?

ThePixelPirate

I do commentary vocal recording on video games and I am looking to step up to the next level in audio equipment. Currently I use a Samason C01-U which is fine for what it is, but now I am bringing in slightly more money, I'm upgrading.

Anyways, my friend who happens to be an audio engineer recommended the NT1-A as a good entry level mic because it's low noise and an all-round mic. However having done my own reading, it seems the SM7B might be the mic to go for, and would probably be the one I would upgrade to next had I already gotten the NT1-A.

Here in lies the problem. I am also going to purchase a Audiobox 22VSL for the mic, but I read that it does not have enough gain for the SM7B. With a budget of $500, the SM7B would take up the majority of that, and on top of that I would have to get a more expensive preamp. Not the ideal situation unless the SM7B really is leaps and bounds better than the NT1-A.

Should I bite the bullet and get the SM7B, even though I will have to wait a few months to get a good preamp for it? Or should I go with the NT1-A/Audiobox 22VSL combo and wait a while before upgrading to the SM7B?

Also, what preamp would I need to get that has USB outputs like the Audiobox where I to get the SM7B?

It's mostly preference, but an sm7b will let you work very close to it without issue, which can help with reducing the recorded level of unwanted background noises.
If that's an issue for you, go 7b, or at least dynamic of some kind.

A 'preamp with usb output' is an audio interface.
I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that the audiobox has something like half the gain that the firestudio mobile has.
FSM is firewire though. Maybe that's no good?

I'm sure there are others people can recommend. I just happen to have the FSM and SM7b.

There is a thing called cloudlifter that boosts the signal of the mic so you can use the mic within interface that normally doesn't have enough gain.

Really, you can use just about any preamp you can find to give the mic a boost into the interface you have. since you wouldn't have to turn up either preamps all the way, you won't have to worry about self noise.

How did the samson work out for you?
I guess the NT1a would have more in common with the samson that the sm7b will.
If you liked the sound of the c01 but want an upgrade, maybe the nt1a or an mxl might fit the bill. I'm sure someone here will know 1st hand.

The cloudlifter gets a lot of rep around here. Again, I haven't used it.

Just be aware that the audiobox has no line inputs so there's no option for buying a better preamp down the road.
I'd recommend buying something with adequate built in preamps or room for expansion.

Personally, I'd always go with a dynamic for commentaries and that kind of thing. I just find they're lower maintenance and more forgiving.

It's mostly preference, but an sm7b will let you work very close to it without issue, which can help with reducing the recorded level of unwanted background noises.
If that's an issue for you, go 7b, or at least dynamic of some kind.

A 'preamp with usb output' is an audio interface.
I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that the audiobox has something like half the gain that the firestudio mobile has.
FSM is firewire though. Maybe that's no good?

I'm sure there are others people can recommend. I just happen to have the FSM and SM7b.

Yes, it's an audio interface I am after. Sorry for my terrible terminology, I'm a noob at this stuff. Firewire is a problem because it would mean I have to buy a new soundcard on top of the audio interface. At this point in time the audio interface is in place of the soundcard, if you get me.

There is a thing called cloudlifter that boosts the signal of the mic so you can use the mic within interface that normally doesn't have enough gain.

Really, you can use just about any preamp you can find to give the mic a boost into the interface you have. since you wouldn't have to turn up either preamps all the way, you won't have to worry about self noise.

I did hear of the cloudlifter, but doing a little reading it seems people have a problem with buzzing when using the cloudlifter in conjunction with the SM7b and the Audiobox 22VSL. In any case, I really would rather an all in one simple setup rather than daisy chaining equipment if at all possible.

ThePixelPirate...... is this your site and examples of your commentaries?

The Pixel Pirate

It may help for others to hear what your present setup sounds like to make some suggestions.

Yep, that's my site.

How did the samson work out for you?
I guess the NT1a would have more in common with the samson that the sm7b will.
If you liked the sound of the c01 but want an upgrade, maybe the nt1a or an mxl might fit the bill. I'm sure someone here will know 1st hand.

The cloudlifter gets a lot of rep around here. Again, I haven't used it.

Just be aware that the audiobox has no line inputs so there's no option for buying a better preamp down the road.
I'd recommend buying something with adequate built in preamps or room for expansion.

Personally, I'd always go with a dynamic for commentaries and that kind of thing. I just find they're lower maintenance and more forgiving.

The samson is OK for entry level but it can only take you so far. For example the gain on the thing is fixed. As for the line inputs; if I were to upgrade later I would just sell the audiobox, so no problem there.

Yes, it's an audio interface I am after. Sorry for my terrible terminology, I'm a noob at this stuff. Firewire is a problem because it would mean I have to buy a new soundcard on top of the audio interface. At this point in time the audio interface is in place of the soundcard, if you get me.

I don't get you. Once you buy any external audio interface, you've replaced your factory soundcard.
Doesn't matter if its USB, firewire. PCI....

Back