A noob needs help - How to fix my mic settings to make my voice sound better?

chaoshead

As mentioned before, im a super noob when it comes to condenser mic, pre-amps and such. Listen to the attachment and hear how awful my voice sounds. HOW can i make my voice sound sharper, clearer and better? do i need to change some settings, and if so, which ones?

im currently using a condenser mic (rode nt-1a) that is connected through a pre-amp (umc202hd) (yes with +48v turned on). my gain knob is turned to just over half. my sample rate is currently at CD Quality. No enhancements added yet.

i hope you can lend me some advises and pointers on how i can improve this. thank you.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add a link to the actual file, doh: Vocaroo | Voice message

Last edited:
You can't post attachments as a noob.

Is it a link to something or an actual attachment to the post?

Hi,
It sounds like you're quite far away from the mic in a boxy sounding room, or speaking into the back of the mic.
Are you talking in to the side with the gold dot on it?

I recorded the Vocaroo sample into Audacity and normalized it to bring the level up. Mid way through I clipped out a part that sounds like some kind of modulation to the voice. I haven't any idea where this might originate from.
chaoshead, do you by any chance have some monitors/speakers on in the background that are playing what you record?

Attachments

• short clip.mp3
    60.4 KB · Views: 7
ohhh good crap! im so sorry for not noticing that small but rather yet so important detail about the gold dot. apparently i had the mic wrong way. wow, so embarrassed right now. it's pretty obvious, considering that Rode-text is also on the same side, indicating that's the front part of the mic. im really sorry for asking before properly examining this, but im glad it was such a minor thing. i uploaded another voice track, and as you can hear, it sounds much better now: Vocaroo | Voice message - Any tweaks and stuff that i can do to further sharpen my voice and make it sound even clearer?

thanks again!

Nice one. Glad it was something simple.

Heh...Don't worry...You're definitely not the first.

Edit: Nice voice message. Thank you. :)

Maybe the 'modulation' I was hearing was a phase cancellation of sorts from a reflection of the audio from a surface which the proper side of the mic was picking up..

Back