no difference

ace516

okay. i'd say i got a bit screwed over.
i needed microphone cables, so i headed on to guitar center. i purchased a $50 mogami cable (neglex 2534). when i came home i decided to compare to the mogami cable with a shure that came with my pg52. i didn't hear a difference. nor did i hear any hum or hiss on any of either cables. why spend $50 on a cable when you could get the one exactly alike for a cheaper price?

if there was no difference to be noticed, would it matter?

preamp = yamaha mixer
to delta 44
to Rokit 5's.

Maybe not at first. But hey, a Honda and a Hyundai both have that new car smell at the beginning, but which one will last longer?

Last edited:
hmmm.. you got a pretty damn good point. but hey, ill hit you up in about 5 years and tell what's up with the cable. ;)

ace516 said:
okay. i'd say i got a bit screwed over.
i needed microphone cables, so i headed on to guitar center. i purchased a $50 mogami cable (neglex 2534). when i came home i decided to compare to the mogami cable with a shure that came with my pg52. i didn't hear a difference. nor did i hear any hum or hiss on any of either cables. why spend $50 on a cable when you could get the one exactly alike for a cheaper price?
It's quite likely that the rest of your rig isn't detailed enough to let you hear the subtle difference. BUt anyways, the biggest difference between high-quality (ie pricey) cable and cheap junk is longevity -- cable wears and breaks-down over time, and consequently, so does its connectivity. The good stuff still maintains its connectivity years later, the cheap junk tends to break-down and oxidize quickly (months or less than a year)...

When you pay the extra money on a quality cable, the sound difference is minimal, what you are paying for is the years it will last, hopefully.

Blue Bear Sound said:
It's quite likely that the rest of your rig isn't detailed enough to let you hear the subtle difference. BUt anyways, the biggest difference between high-quality (ie pricey) cable and cheap junk is longevity -- cable wears and breaks-down over time, and consequently, so does its connectivity. The good stuff still maintains its connectivity years later, the cheap junk tends to break-down and oxidize quickly (months or less than a year)...
Yea get all technical, I still like my car analogy better! :D

Back