NMD...Manley Reference Gold

drbluezz

After many hours of research for my holy grail vocal mic for my home studio I settled on a Manley Reference Gold. My recording tech at Sweetwater Sound recommended this mic based on its compatibility with my Universal Audio Solo 610 and LA 610 tube mic preamps. I got in on a bundle special and received a very heavy duty Atlas mic stand and 30' Mogami cord. Also purchased an sE Electronics baffle/reflector. I should be all set for vocals.

I currently have a Royer R 122 ribbon mic that I also use for vocals. I often record two tracks simultaneously, one with the R 122 and the other with a Shure KSM 44 (it will go up for sale since my purchase of the Manley) and then I blend them according to taste. I'm a bluegrass guitar and mandolin player and use a stereo pair of AT 4041s to record my instruments. The AT 4041s sound superb with my acoustic instruments. One other mic I might consider for recording acoustic guitar and mandolin is the AT 4051. But the 4041s are so transparent and sweet sounding. I really like them for this application.

Anyway, can't wait to record with the Manley Reference Gold. I'm betting the Manley will sound pretty impressive on acoustic instruments too. Especially in stereo with the R 122. Just thought I'd toot my horn (or guitar) a little. I'll report back after I get some recording done.

Tom

I'm not sure how a mic recommendation would be based upon 'compatibility' with a preamp, but whatever. Look forward to hearing the recordings you get with the mic! :)

Didn't mean to give the impression that was the only factor (my thread does indeed give that impression). And I would certainly agree if that was the only factor my decision was based upon I could end up disappointed. My decision was based upon many hours of research, verbal discussion, and some forum discussion. What my recording tech told me was a very small part of my research. But I do respect his opinion. He's far from a novice when it comes to recording.

Although my pres are not the most expensive ones out there I do have about $2700 in the two that I have (Universal Audio 610 Solo and LA 610). Those pres received highly favorable reviews in both Sound On Sound and Mix magazines. And I think it's a reasonable desire to not have to replace them just because I'm buying an expensive mic. I do realize it might be advisable to buy pres to fit the mic vs the other way around. But at this point I cannot afford to do that. I was primarily looking for a top notch vocal mic and one that would work well with my pres. I also preferred the more "modern" sound of the Manley Reference Gold with its subtly more open, air-y personality. My tech said it should be very compatible with my pres...that's all. I definitely did not base my decision to buy the Manley Reference Gold solely on the recommendation of compatibility with my pres. Hope that clarifies things a little.

Tom

Yeah, good to hear you have your head on straight. :)

Pretty much any mic will work. It is how the mic works for the source that is most important. A $100 SM 57 may work for one voice, but not necessarily ideal for another singer. This also applies to any input, whether it be vocals or drum overheads. It is easier to suggest a drum mic than a vocal mic however.

Back