Newbie with microphone issues and questions (please help!)

Ionrex

Hi newfriends!

I am a simple newbie with mic trouble I'm afraid, and was rather hoping someone may be able to lend me some advice.

I've recently purchased a condenser USB microphone (amazon dot co dot uk/gp/product/B07VT711DV/ is the particular one, though so far as I can tell they're much of a muchness) and it's very quiet and more annoyingly quite fuzzy when I record with it (I've just got it for voice recording, nothing too fancy). The quietness I can boost the decibels with it seems in the audio recording program, so that's not so much of an issue I think, but the fuzz and the static increase with it. Now I think the fuzziness is due to the USB connector thing itself or possibly the USB port, based on the fact that if I record with the USB in but without the mic connected to it, there's still the fuzz but of course nothing else.

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to this so it is speculation, but I was wondering if this sounds correct based on what's known about USB microphones, and if so whether it sounds likely that if I just get a phantom power supply and plug the mic into the laptop's input/output audio hole (not the technical term I expect!) it should all work properly. I've got a couple of projects I'm raring to go with so if getting a power supply or some other easy piece of tech off Prime is the solution then that would be ideal for me.

Any and all advice would be super-appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are you using the little adapter to connect the microphone to the computer? A condenser mic needs external power to operate, and the adapter they give you plugs into the USB port and should draw voltage from the USB port. Without the power to provide voltage to the electret capsule, you will get little to no output and it will be very noisy.

Yes it does yes, it gets its power through the USB thing in the computer. Would that be why the audio sucks then? I got it because it sounded like the better option (and, well, saved a few bob), but based on that, I guess I should buy a phantom power supply and do it that way then?

Are you using Windows? If so, have you made any system adjustments? Buying a USB interface with phantom power won’t help. The inputs aren’t USB. Is it a Blue Yeti?

I've never really dealt with the USB powered condenser mics. Some people seem to get them to work but I've seen a lot of posts similar to yours. They always seemed like a bit of a kludge to me. If you're doing serious recording, then a good mic and audio interface is the way to do.

If you're just wanting to do some basic podcasting and want to keep the mic, you might pick up something like a Behringer UM2 for about £25 or so. You could use any microphone you choose at a later time if you wish.

Are you using Windows? If so, have you made any system adjustments? Buying a USB interface with phantom power won’t help. The inputs aren’t USB. Is it a Blue Yeti?
I haven't made any system adjustments, I thought it would just plug in and work (as I say, complete neophyte I'm afraid!). The mic is a Mayoga, for what it's worth; I hadn't heard of the brand myself but the reviews were all positive. What adjustments should I make?

I've never really dealt with the USB powered condenser mics. Some people seem to get them to work but I've seen a lot of posts similar to yours. They always seemed like a bit of a kludge to me. If you're doing serious recording, then a good mic and audio interface is the way to do.

If you're just wanting to do some basic podcasting and want to keep the mic, you might pick up something like a Behringer UM2 for about £25 or so. You could use any microphone you choose at a later time if you wish.
Yeah basic voice recording is the thing, video narration principally. So an audio interface is a must would you say, to get decent sound out of it? And a phantom power thingy as well?

I am acutely aware that my complete dearth of expertise might make my questions seem a little irritating, so I'll just reiterate that I'm grateful for all your responses.

I believe this might be the mic...... USB Streaming Podcast PC Microphone, MAYOGA Professional 192KHZ/24Bit Condenser Microphone Kit with Sound Card, Studio Cardioid Condenser Mic Kit for Skype YouTuber Karaoke Gaming Recording: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments and it's likely much the same as the BM700/800 types of mics. It appears to additionally have a USB audio adapter which provides input for the mic and an output for headphones. The input for the mic would likely need to provide 'plugin power' bias voltage for the mic like a mic jack on a PC would. These mics are designed to function with both 'plugin power' (around 5vdc) and as well phantom. The mic might not work plugged into a 3.5mm jack of a laptop, as many laptop jacks are a combo mic/headphone jack that uses a TRRS type connection.

Ionrex... as you're new to mics, are you speaking in the front 'side' (not sure if there are any markings to indicate the front) of the mic and not into the end. And are you fairly close, maybe 13 to 19cm?
What are you using for software to record with? Computer......PC with Windows (what version) or Mac?

ECC83 (Dave) has played around with this type of mic and hopefully he might drop in and offer some ideas.

One problem with some of these low cost, generic Asian mics is that there is little or no support. You could pick up the Behringer B1 and a UM2 interface for less than £100, Grab a £15 stand and a cable and you're better off. If you watch for upcoming Christmas sales, you might do better.

Anyway, I'm going to assume that the device shows up in your Device Manager, and that any drivers were installed.

I noticed that the following comments were in the description:

Please Note:
When connected with desktop computer, the Mic could be used alone;
When connected with laptop computer, please connect the laptop to electrical outlet, or use a 48V phantom power to get enough power if the sound is not clear and high enough.
If you want better sound effect, a sound card should be used. (Sound Card is not included).
If your device could not provide enough power (when used with Amplifier or Mixer, etc.), the sound volume recorded might be low, and please use a extra 48V phantom power adapter to connect it.

It may well be that your system doesn't put out enough power to drive the adapter and microphone. You might try some other USB ports, or if you have a powered USB hub, try that. Otherwise I think you'll need to go with an external interface. If you bought it from Amazon, do you have the option of return for credit?

"ECC83 (Dave) has played around with this type of mic and hopefully he might drop in and offer some ideas."

Yes Mark, whale **** dept coming in! And yea again, that does look very much like the BM-800/Neewer mics that are presently so common. I have indeed had two of them and can report quite good results*.

The problem with them seems to be huge variations in quality with respect to noise, sensitivity and even bloody working at all! My bet is that the microphone is faulty and if from Amazon you should have no difficulty in getting a replacement or refund.

First off though, plug the mic into the mic jack of the laptop using the supplied XLR to 3.5mm 'stereo' cable. If that gives satisfactory recordings the fault lies with that USB adaptor.

I do however suggest you go for an interface. What many noobs do not realize is that the OUTPUT side, mon outs and headphone outs, are AS important as the inputs otherwise you are relying on the soundcard in the PC and most of those are crap and generally unsuited to making recordings.

So, try the mic as I suggested and if it works ok, buy an interface and a male-female XLR cable (better two cables) Then you will be able to use the mic (and any others) as a conventional, phantom powered capacitor microphone. I would urge the UMC 204HD. Not just because I just got one! No, because it has rather decent ASIO drivers and the models below it don't AFAIK and it is still very cheap at well under $100.

*Now that I have the 204HD I will compare the BM-800 alongside a bog S dynamic of about Sm57 sensitivity. I have a suspicion that the dymo+204 will prove better for noise floor than the BM because the pre amps in the Behringer are really very good.

Ooops! Bit over $100 at Sweet H20 but still cheaper than many less well featured AIs I will bet?

Dave.

BM-800 and XM8500 with 204HD

Just a rough-ass scratch test of the two microphones.

The Behringer XM8500 has almost the same sensitivity as the SM57 (son has bagged mine!) maybe even a little hotter despite the fact that the Behringer site specc' gives around -70dB/Pa!

As said in the waffle, the mics are on a stereo bar, centres about 120mm apart. I am as best I can judge about the same distance from them.
I did the recordings in my pretty dead living room (NOT going to heat an unused bedroom for 20 mins!) and the 42" FST was dripping out QVC crap whilst I setup. I therefore set the 204 gain pots to give the same initial level in Samplitude SE8 then advanced them to hit -20dBfs on speech. Telly was off for recordings, wife gagged.

Both tracks look and sound ok to me for general VO work? Maybe those with much better hearing than I can detect noise? The BM-800 seems to be some 20dB hotter than the dynamic but of course some of that is self noise. The noise on the dynamic track is mostly that in the room. The 204HD has remarkably quiet mic pres regardless of price.

Oops! Should read 'into 20 FOUR of course.

Dave.

Attachments

• bm and XM into 201.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
You also paid far more than they're available for. My experience is like Daves - I bought some for presents two great, one OK, one duff!

The strange thing is that they function on 48V phantom or the 5V from most laptop audio inputs. The adaptor to give you USB will probably not really offer anything using the inbuilt mic input can do! Have you tried just recording analogue from it? Could actually work ok - mine work fine with my MacBook. They're kind of a bit random - and I paid less than a tenner, although you got an anglepoise too. Try using it without the cheap and nasty USB to mic interface.

Dave, the XM8500 was definitely the quieter mic. For £13, it knocked the socks off the Neewer. Vocal quality sounded similar enough that 90% of the public would never hear the difference.

I was suprised at the differences in prices between the US and UK (I'm guessing that since the OP used Amazon UK, he live there). An MXL V67G can be had for about $65 (£50) in the US but it was £100 in the UK. The XM8500 is £13 in the UK, but $30 (£23) in the US. It may not seem like much for many of us, but if you're new at this, prices like that could make a difference.

There are lots of Chinese importers on Amazon here because Ebay fees are so high, so the Ebay sellers are making their money on amazon., Aliexpress is the usual source of the amazon sales, and you can always buy direct for the bottom prices.

Dave, the XM8500 was definitely the quieter mic. For £13, it knocked the socks off the Neewer. Vocal quality sounded similar enough that 90% of the public would never hear the difference.

I was suprised at the differences in prices between the US and UK (I'm guessing that since the OP used Amazon UK, he live there). An MXL V67G can be had for about $65 (£50) in the US but it was £100 in the UK. The XM8500 is £13 in the UK, but $30 (£23) in the US. It may not seem like much for many of us, but if you're new at this, prices like that could make a difference.

Is that Pres' Trump's Euro (well, everyone really!) bashing tarrifs? I thought the 204 would be well under $100 as I paid 70 quidish for mine, around $92 at today's exchange rate.

Yes, I thought the dynamic/204 combination would prove quieter for them as can hear properly. Maybe we shall now see an end to those rather common "I can't get a decent level from my SM 57/58" threads? 'just buy a Behringer! Mind you, my first experince of Beh's was the BCA2000 interface. A brilliant concept, never bettered at any price most of us can afford. It was marred by incredibly poor drivers and even worse reliablity (I had 3, fixed one. Gave up) But, the mic pres were REALLY good! A factor being that, unlike almost any AI since, they had a gain pot AND a channel fader like a mixer.

I would be very interested to see how the combination of 204HD and SM7B perform?

Dave.

I believe this might be the mic...... amazon dot co dot uk/Streaming-Microphone-MAYOGA-Professional-Condenser/dp/B07VT711DV USB Streaming Podcast PC Microphone, MAYOGA Professional 192KHZ/24Bit Condenser Microphone Kit with Sound Card, Studio Cardioid Condenser Mic Kit for Skype YouTuber Karaoke Gaming Recording: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments[/url] and it's likely much the same as the BM700/800 types of mics. It appears to additionally have a USB audio adapter which provides input for the mic and an output for headphones. The input for the mic would likely need to provide 'plugin power' bias voltage for the mic like a mic jack on a PC would. These mics are designed to function with both 'plugin power' (around 5vdc) and as well phantom. The mic might not work plugged into a 3.5mm jack of a laptop, as many laptop jacks are a combo mic/headphone jack that uses a TRRS type connection.

Ionrex... as you're new to mics, are you speaking in the front 'side' (not sure if there are any markings to indicate the front) of the mic and not into the end. And are you fairly close, maybe 13 to 19cm?
What are you using for software to record with? Computer......PC with Windows (what version) or Mac?

ECC83 (Dave) has played around with this type of mic and hopefully he might drop in and offer some ideas.
Yeah that's the one, I've just been speaking into the top of it, it has a big flat top. Very close as well, a few of inches away is required to get any proper sound recorded. There's no explicit indicator on it that one side is the front or the back, but one side has 'BM-800' printed on it. I initially tested it just using the Voice Recorder app that's built in with Windows which was very shoddy, and then I downloaded Audacity which gives some fiddling ability in terms of boosting the decibels or what-have-you, but increasing there also increased the fuzzy static.
One problem with some of these low cost, generic Asian mics is that there is little or no support. You could pick up the Behringer B1 and a UM2 interface for less than £100, Grab a £15 stand and a cable and you're better off. If you watch for upcoming Christmas sales, you might do better.

Anyway, I'm going to assume that the device shows up in your Device Manager, and that any drivers were installed.

I noticed that the following comments were in the description:

Please Note:
When connected with desktop computer, the Mic could be used alone;
When connected with laptop computer, please connect the laptop to electrical outlet, or use a 48V phantom power to get enough power if the sound is not clear and high enough.
If you want better sound effect, a sound card should be used. (Sound Card is not included).
If your device could not provide enough power (when used with Amplifier or Mixer, etc.), the sound volume recorded might be low, and please use a extra 48V phantom power adapter to connect it.

It may well be that your system doesn't put out enough power to drive the adapter and microphone. You might try some other USB ports, or if you have a powered USB hub, try that. Otherwise I think you'll need to go with an external interface. If you bought it from Amazon, do you have the option of return for credit?
Ohhhh gosh, look at that. I must seem like a real ditz, it's a laptop I'm using so it must be down to the USB power; I actually messaged them through Amazon yesterday and they suggested in their reply today that the issue may be it not getting enough power through the USB drive and to try a phantom power supply. I know you've recommended the Behringer interface, is there a particularly good phantom power supply that should fit with this or are they all basically similar?

You also paid far more than they're available for. My experience is like Daves - I bought some for presents two great, one OK, one duff!

The strange thing is that they function on 48V phantom or the 5V from most laptop audio inputs. The adaptor to give you USB will probably not really offer anything using the inbuilt mic input can do! Have you tried just recording analogue from it? Could actually work ok - mine work fine with my MacBook. They're kind of a bit random - and I paid less than a tenner, although you got an anglepoise too. Try using it without the cheap and nasty USB to mic interface.

It was a few quid less than it's priced now, it was reduced the week of Black Friday. I was looking for something with the arm stand as well (which I can report is pretty good), and based on trying to get a full set like that it seemed the best mix of value and quality from reviews and the like. This is before I knew what a prat I was for trying to use a USB mic on a laptop though! (that being, well, a couple of minutes ago)

"ECC83 (Dave) has played around with this type of mic and hopefully he might drop in and offer some ideas."

Yes Mark, whale **** dept coming in! And yea again, that does look very much like the BM-800/Neewer mics that are presently so common. I have indeed had two of them and can report quite good results*.

The problem with them seems to be huge variations in quality with respect to noise, sensitivity and even bloody working at all! My bet is that the microphone is faulty and if from Amazon you should have no difficulty in getting a replacement or refund.

First off though, plug the mic into the mic jack of the laptop using the supplied XLR to 3.5mm 'stereo' cable. If that gives satisfactory recordings the fault lies with that USB adaptor.

I do however suggest you go for an interface. What many noobs do not realize is that the OUTPUT side, mon outs and headphone outs, are AS important as the inputs otherwise you are relying on the soundcard in the PC and most of those are crap and generally unsuited to making recordings.

So, try the mic as I suggested and if it works ok, buy an interface and a male-female XLR cable (better two cables) Then you will be able to use the mic (and any others) as a conventional, phantom powered capacitor microphone. I would urge the UMC 204HD. Not just because I just got one! No, because it has rather decent ASIO drivers and the models below it don't AFAIK and it is still very cheap at well under $100.

*Now that I have the 204HD I will compare the BM-800 alongside a bog S dynamic of about Sm57 sensitivity. I have a suspicion that the dymo+204 will prove better for noise floor than the BM because the pre amps in the Behringer are really very good.

Ooops! Bit over $100 at Sweet H20 but still cheaper than many less well featured AIs I will bet?

Dave.
I did actually try plugging it into the audio jack and then realised why it wasn't working more swiftly than my amateur realisations elsewhere here (it gets its power through the USB port).

If I may entreat on you kind gentlemen one more time then, I guess I just need a couple more recommendations: the interface (from what I gather the Behringer sounds like the right mix of value and quality), the phantom power supply and any required cables for the mic linked above. This is going to be another potentially daft question, but is there such a thing as a phantom power supply and interface combo?

Yeah that's the one, I've just been speaking into the top of it, it has a big flat top. Very close as well, a few of inches away is required to get any proper sound recorded. There's no explicit indicator on it that one side is the front or the back, but one side has 'BM-800' printed on it. I initially tested it just using the Voice Recorder app that's built in with Windows which was very shoddy, and then I downloaded Audacity which gives some fiddling ability in terms of boosting the decibels or what-have-you, but increasing there also increased the fuzzy static.

You need to talk into the side and most likely with the side that the BM-800 logo is facing you.
This is for a Yeti USB mic, but shows the correct way to talk into the type of mic you have.......
Podcasters On New TV Show Using Yeti Mic Wrong

"but is there such a thing as a phantom power supply and interface combo? "

You will be very pleased to learn my friend that virtually ALL interfaces have phantom power! In fact I cannot think of even one with a mic input that doesn't. The 204HD certainly does and powers the BM-800 perfectly well.

As for cables you basically just need a male to female XLR3 but, unless you are really strapped for cash buy two. Reason?
1) you have a spare. If a problem should arise (and Ppwr can be borked by a bad cable) having one to test swap is invaluable.
2) XLR cables can be daisy-chained almost ad.inf so get two short, handy ones but you can plug them together if you need the reach in the future.

The 204 comes with a USB 'A' to 'B' cable but do get one in beforehand (see my "getting new gear" waffle)
Same argument, spare/test and you can buy a really cheap jobby from a PoundLand shop of 1mtr length and it will work fine. N.B. though, if you ever need to run the AI on a long cable, greater than 3mtrs, get a really good one. 5mtrs is the limit and even that can be problematic.

Just come to me. I am guessing you have headphones? If so I bet they use a 3.5mm (1/8") jack plug? Make sure you have a 1/4" adaptor, the Behrry does not come with one.

I am always about so, anything else, just shout.

Dave.

You need to talk into the side and most likely with the side that the BM-800 logo is facing you.
This is for a Yeti USB mic, but shows the correct way to talk into the type of mic you have.......
homebrewaudio dot com/podcasters-on-new-tv-show-using-yeti-mic-wrong/Podcasters On New TV Show Using Yeti Mic Wrong[/url]
Gosh you're right. Holding the mic in the right place in the light I can see through the metal and there's a vertical disc in there. There's a wire going down from it on the inside on the side that's not where the logo is, so I think that confirms that the front is indeed where the logo is. Many thanks, goodness knows how long it would have taken me to realise that!

"but is there such a thing as a phantom power supply and interface combo? "

You will be very pleased to learn my friend that virtually ALL interfaces have phantom power! In fact I cannot think of even one with a mic input that doesn't. The 204HD certainly does and powers the BM-800 perfectly well.

As for cables you basically just need a male to female XLR3 but, unless you are really strapped for cash buy two. Reason?
1) you have a spare. If a problem should arise (and Ppwr can be borked by a bad cable) having one to test swap is invaluable.
2) XLR cables can be daisy-chained almost ad.inf so get two short, handy ones but you can plug them together if you need the reach in the future.

The 204 comes with a USB 'A' to 'B' cable but do get one in beforehand (see my "getting new gear" waffle)
Same argument, spare/test and you can buy a really cheap jobby from a PoundLand shop of 1mtr length and it will work fine. N.B. though, if you ever need to run the AI on a long cable, greater than 3mtrs, get a really good one. 5mtrs is the limit and even that can be problematic.

Just come to me. I am guessing you have headphones? If so I bet they use a 3.5mm (1/8") jack plug? Make sure you have a 1/4" adaptor, the Behrry does not come with one.

I am always about so, anything else, just shout.

Dave.
Ahhhh, brilliant. I am ordering now. Thank you for your help, and to everyone! Hopefully my next report back will be to let you guys know I am successfully up and running.

Gosh you're right. Holding the mic in the right place in the light I can see through the metal and there's a vertical disc in there. There's a wire going down from it on the inside on the side that's not where the logo is, so I think that confirms that the front is indeed where the logo is. Many thanks, goodness knows how long it would have taken me to realise that!

Ahhhh, brilliant. I am ordering now. Thank you for your help, and to everyone! Hopefully my next report back will be to let you guys know I am successfully up and running.

Great. Now, you mentioned Audacity as the recording software you are using (aka 'Digital Audio Workstation' ) Handy, yes. Free? Even better but, depending on what and how you are recording and post using the sounds, not perhaps the best DAW? There are several good free ones around now but Cockos Reaper is very popular and although not free you can use it for as long as you like and IF you like it pay the very modest fee for what is practically professional software, BTW, Audacity cannot handle the ASIO driver and they will be the best way to go.

The 204HD does give you a free download option of Traktion but it is not at all like Audacity or Reaper and I doubt you will like it. I suggest you download Reaper and get a bit familiar whilst waitng for the kit. Many here are experts with it and can get you out of practically any hole. I have it, paid for but am wedded to Samplitude these ten years...but I will help if I can.

Dave.

I use a Blue Yeti for a lot of voice work, which has a volume control on the mic. HOWEVER, I'd click on your little speaker icon and bring up "settings." There are a number of sliders and one may be too far down. There is also a "mic boost" that will raise the volume. But I'd simply check the sound settings first. And make sure the USB mic is set as your default. You might be recording to a built-in mic and not know it!

Back