New Ribbon Microphone

I wonder how it compares to a Royers or a Coles as they're in that price range?

AEA has a good reputation and they have been working RCA ribbons for a loooog time. I doubt they would bother to release anything that wasn't a great sounding mic for the money.

Its nice to see so much interest in ribbon mics again and more companies coming out with higher output, quality products.

Lee

Sweet. It doesn't say anything about the pattern, or if it's a multi. The picture doesn't show any switches on the front side.

Taylor

MrZekeMan said:
Sweet. It doesn't say anything about the pattern, or if it's a multi. The picture doesn't show any switches on the front side.

Taylor

Almost all ribbons are figure-of-eight. There's a Beyer that's hyper-cardioid I think (maybe some trick they do with the enclosure?), but that is the exception. I don't know if it would be possible to have a multipattern ribbon mic, at least with only one ribbon. But I could easily be wrong.

As far as the lack of other switches, most ribbons don't need a pad because they are fairly low output to begin with.

Beyer does the hypercardoid thing by using more than one ribbon. And I don't think there is anything preventing you from doing a multi-pattern that way; but feel free to correct me.

littledog said:

Almost all ribbons are figure-of-eight. There's a Beyer that's hyper-cardioid I think (maybe some trick they do with the enclosure?), but that is the exception. I don't know if it would be possible to have a multipattern ribbon mic, at least with only one ribbon. But I could easily be wrong.

As far as the lack of other switches, most ribbons don't need a pad because they are fairly low output to begin with.
The AEA mics are supposedly resurrected RCA mics. This new mic resembles the 77DX a little bit. The 77 is a multipattern. (6 patterns) I'm sure this is a single pattern mic, but we can always hope. :)

You are right about the ribbons not needing a pad. But some of them have bass roll-off switches. The 77 has a switch on the backside that switches the pattern via screwdriver. I was just making a comment on the lack of any visible switches on this mic.

The site doesn't really give any details.

Taylor

littledog said:

The RCA 77DX is multi-pattern. They call it "poly-directional". It's done by turning a little set screw on the back. I believe this "opens and/or closes" some of the acoustic chambers in the mic body. I could be wrong about how it works exactly, but it is multi-pattern.

You can read more about it's operation and characteristics here:
http://www.k-bay106.com/rca77dx.pdf

But there are multi-pattern ribbon mics. I would suspect Wes Dooley's new ribbon works in the same manner as the 77DX.

Back