New microphone for rap vocals

Chingy

hello,

Im looking for a new microphone, up until now ive been using the se electronics x1. To be honest i was never truly sativsfied with it, but that can be because my lacking for experience with it.. But anyway, unfortunateøy i lost it on the floor and i tested it after and i could hear that it was damaged. I was going to change my mic anyway so this just lit the fire.

I have been looking at these two condencer microphones..
sE electronics sE2200a
Rode nta-1

I am not so interested in using alot of money, i am buying a new midi and a pair of monitors.. If you have other good mic options, feel free to post them:)

My music style is hip hop, and the mic will be used to record rap vocals.

Thanks.

Well, looks like you've made some good choices. I've heard great things about both mics from people here, although I've never actually used either.

If you can find it on sale I can't recommend the Shure SM7B enough. Awesome sound, built like a tank. Only downside is you need a preamp with lots of gain, or a CloudLifter.

in one way i also want to get a neuman mic or something in that price range so that i have the possibility to record in high quality. is that of any use?

Yo Wheelema! Have you actually used a cloudlifter? If it works as advertised, it would be a godsend. The SM7b maxes out my Avalon AD2022 at about +66db. Of course, the Avalon can do that and still be quiet, but that makes it the only preamp I own that I can use with the SM7. I would love to be able to run it through some of my other preamps without cranking them to unacceptable noise floor levels.-Richie

in one way i also want to get a neuman mic or something in that price range so that i have the possibility to record in high quality. is that of any use?

Errr...well, the cheapest Neumanns that give that typical "Neumann" quality are like AT LEAST double the price of the 2 previous mics you've mentioned. Don't fret about it though...there's plenty of other stuff to sink your money into if you want high quality results! Like a quality pre-amp or acoustic treatment :)

Yo Wheelema! Have you actually used a cloudlifter? If it works as advertised, it would be a godsend. The SM7b maxes out my Avalon AD2022 at about +66db. Of course, the Avalon can do that and still be quiet, but that makes it the only preamp I own that I can use with the SM7. I would love to be able to run it through some of my other preamps without cranking them to unacceptable noise floor levels.-Richie

Richard ..... it will add about 15 db to the signal. There are other in line preamps also. The Rode’s D-Power Plug, Triton’s Fethead, and Sanken’s HAD 48.

Out of these 4 the cloudlifter and the Fethead are the quietest. The cloud lifter actually has to be on the floor next to the microphone stand with a short XLR for best quality.

Best thing about the Cloudlifter is lifetime warranty and it's made in the USofA.

So it's a toss up between the Fethead and the cloudlifter.

You'll love either one for the 7b.

Personally, no. A friend of mine loves his.

Back