New Microphone day - Avantone CK1 SDC

achase4u

150 bucks - three capsules, omni, cardiod, hypercardiod.

I think folks like me in the budget world are kind of under the impression that ribbons=dark/warm, dynamics=middle of the road and condensers=bright. My at2020 has a semi-large diaphragm and is quite bright to me, with not much low end. This Avantone with its cardiod capsule is actually quite warm. Or maybe just neutral. I cant decide. At first against my bright at2020, it sounded like a blanket was on it. The frequency chart shows somewhat flat - actually slightly under 0db until 400hz, then a slight rise from 500-900hz,back down to 0 db, then a dip just a db or two down from 5-7khz - then rise up to 10 about plus 2 db and then leveling out.

I would think with that response it wouldnt be blanketed sounding, but listening to my guitar without monitoring, I found the recording to be very realistic and close to what I was hearing in the room EQ wise.

I guess I like the sparkle of a rise in the higher frequencies on solo acoustic - but this mic is quite nice. Im starting to get used to its sound now...

PLUS - it is the most sensitive mic to off axis and distance that I have. I think more than my sm57 - or about the same...

Now - that being said, the EQ is quite different for the omni and hypercardiod patterns. They are both brighter...

The Avantone CV14 ribbon is a really nice ribbon. More present than the Cascades. A little more modern but still a ribbon without a doubt. I like mine on female vocals and acoustic guitars.

I have clips. Acoustic guitar and drums. Wont let me link though. Says I need to post 5 or more times?

Yeah go to the newbie forum and post some gibberish in the *get your 10 post here* I think you may need 10 post but who knows. Love to hear those clips!

I got nothing but good/great things to say about my Avantone CK-40 stereo microphone HERE (misprint I believe the price is $399.)
What a great microphone at a great price.

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing some clips. I've been looking for a nice cheap SDC pair to replace my NT5s.

Back